Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Default Ok raw feeders Tyson just threw up

He just threw up chicken parts. Is this normal after starting raw feeding? He is on anitbiotics and benedryll but hasn't had this problem in a week,
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ok raw feeders Tyson just threw up

I'm not sure on this one. Poor baby. Hopefully someone can answer you fairly quickly.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hmm. I think in the beginning Stig did, but rarely. And most likely he threw up because it was around when he started daycare so he was doing a lot of running around back then.

I know it'll make your tummy queasy, but I let Stig eat up what he threw up if it seems harmless. But if I see some weird looking bone fragments, then I take it away. If it's the foamy or bile kind of throw up, I won't let him eat it and clean it up.

From what I've read on the raw groups, the reason could be similar to why some have runny poops, which are too much food, enhanced meat or too little bone. Have you been tracking how much food you're giving him daily?
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

If you search the archives of the group I pm'd you, you should be able to find a bunch of rookies asking the same thing with answers from the experienced.

Sorry, I'd look it up but I'm at work and rushing to get out of here.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Could be exactly the reason's that @savemejeebus pointed out. If it looks just like mostly chicken and he wants to, let him re-eat it. Mine did it a few times at the beginning too. Plus, he isn't used to it yet. Don't worry. With dogs, vomiting is removing the offending item and then they feel fine again (in most cases anyway). Unless he seems lethargic, not interested in food and either is not pooping or having exploding diarrhea, he is likely just fine. If it is bile, he has an empty tummy and you should break his meals into smaller portions. You may want to try giving him two meals a day instead of one or three instead of two for a bit to get him used to it. I have found that the size of the meal with raw is much larger than with kibble and they get full faster.

Try not to panic...check the group archives and remember, you are feeding him a species appropriate diet that can only benefit in the long run.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

@GatorRay @savemejeebus Thanks so much. I did read the archives in the group and that helped a bit. I know that raw feeding is supposed to be a lot better. I chose it because I would like to do the very best I can for Tyson, but it's still a little scary. It seems wrong. I know it isn't but I've always been told not to give dogs bones, that raw meat is dangerous ect ect. I think once we get used to this it will all be ok but i'm a worrier anyway.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dozersmama View Post
    @GatorRay @savemejeebus Thanks so much. I did read the archives in the group and that helped a bit. I know that raw feeding is supposed to be a lot better. I chose it because I would like to do the very best I can for Tyson, but it's still a little scary. It seems wrong. I know it isn't but I've always been told not to give dogs bones, that raw meat is dangerous ect ect. I think once we get used to this it will all be ok but i'm a worrier anyway.
    Don't worry *big hugs* just remember, cooked bones are the bad ones. Raw ones are fine! I think Tyson is very lucky that you care enough for him to feed him raw and on top of that, you love him enough already to worry .

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Zeus has done that too...in fact, a lot of times as he is eating he throws up and re-eats it again and then finishes off the meat too...very gross

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@dozersmama - Once you get used to it, you'll find that it really is simple. You'll get a handle of what you feel is ok to feed and what not to feed. Remember, you know Tyson best, so trust your gut.

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

sometimes they regurgitate the food and eat it again its fine and totally normal annie does it with the skin off the chicken really disgusting but its how they eat ,try not to worry too much,karen

Remove Ads