Started raw feeding , worried !

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
So fro the last 2 days Tyson has been eating raw boneless chicken breasts. This is just what I happen to have in the freezer. Today I went to the store and got chicken quarters which i think basically amounts to a leg and a thigh. He had a very hard time eating them. I removed the skin and gave it back. He was trying to chew the bones and get the meat off. After about 20 minutes and him giving up and coming back over and over I finally held it for him to strip the meat. He tried to chew the bones and one did crack/ splinter. The little one in the leg. I found bone shards on my floor. Almost all of the bone is still sitting in his bowl, well after I picked it up off the floor. Idk if he is just maybe unable to chew.eat the bones? Also the bone fragments on the floor scare me. I worry that since these were kind of sharp I may be killing him:eek:. Is this normal? Is he jsut going to be unable to consume bones? I read that they are ok for him , but after what I found on the floor I worry. I know ground bones are an alternative but I have read that these can cause impaction

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You need [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]. Also [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]..I'm sorry..I can't help!!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
hes probably just not used to crunching through bones,try and get some chicken backs/frames they are very very soft bones these are what i started annie on before moving onto other bones,backs/frames are what the butcher throws away after stripping all the meat off the chicken,also pork ribs are very soft he may do better on them,when i started raw feeding i only gave annie chicken backs for 2 weeks i didnt give her anything else,karen

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
all dogs need bones in their diet just been to the vets for annies boosters,her checked her over and commented on her teeth looking so good,he knows i raw and fully agrees with it,also got her weighed i thought she was looking a bit tubby but at 24k he says perfect weight ,so raw meat ,organ,bone is the best way to feed ,i know finding the best menu can at times be difficult but so worth it,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I started on chicken backs too. Mainly because it's mostly bone which is needed to control his stools for a little while. As karenben said, they're softer and more easy to conquer. I get mine at ethnic grocery stores, they sell for $1 for 5, which is fantastic to start off with.

But [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] did start her kiddos with chicken quarters so she'll share her insight when she logs on. If the bones you're picking up look iffy to you, then by all means throw those away. You don't need to refeed those. I do the same for my guys.

With my new guy, Punkin, I have to start him home with grind chicken backs because he wasn't able to chew through them whole. I grind them myself so at least I know what goes in his food. I'm going to keep trying to give him whole ones and see if he gets the hang of it after some time.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Well I fell asleep on the couch last night and when I woke up he had consumed the whole thing.... I think. The cat was really interested in it so I'm really hoping not to find a partly eaten dead chicken hidden somewhere in my house ewww.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
lol,we must remember our dogs have only been used to eating kibble very easy to eat,it takes some dogs longer to learn how to eat bone than it does others,but they will learn ,we need to be patient when starting raw as its new to us and our dogs,karen

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Hey :). To make it easier to eat bigger bones (legs/thighs) you can remove the skin to help him get to the meat quicker and then ribbon the meat. Meaning cut long strips in the meat down to the bone. I think if you keep offering, he will get the idea. He just isn't used to it :). I find that by the time they get through the skin, which is hard for my guys, they start to get tired. lol. I do feed the skin separately, as they need it. As everyone said, chicken backs are probably the softest bone you can give and are a cheap way to start. Without bone, his poop is going to get too soft or even runny. I am sure he will figure it out very quickly. If he walks away from his food, take it up and put it in the fridge and offer it again later.

You can raw feed the cat too, wink wink!

Most Reactions