Considering raw feeding.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I know that a few of you do raw feed. I have been doing some, not much, but some research about it. I think at this point it may be a better option for Tyson. Idk is 7 to old to start this? Are there drawbacks I am missing. Also what about parasites? I know raw meat is known to contain bacteria and also raw pork can contain worms I do believe ? I've been looking at the prey model diet but I worry about his ability to chew and digest bones. I have always thought they were not safe for a dog. And It says they don't need veggies or fruit but idk this seems weird. I've had more thatn 1 dog that liked to graze in my garden and Dozer loved bananas and they never caused him any issues. Like I said I don't have a great amount of knowledge about this so please educate me.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do feed raw, but I am very lucky that I have a vet that makes it based on the pups allergies. So, all i do is cut open a bag and dump it into the dish. I will send you a website to look at.. who know's they may ship to you if you want

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Going to pm you a group that has fantastic info and very knowledgeable rawfeeders. Basically, you have to be picky on the meat. You have to make sure that the sodium content is low, less than 100mg I believe. Finding one that's zero is best. And freezing for a certain period of time will kill the parasites. It's a suggested practice when you feed fresh from hunting/butchering. You can feed the meat you find in the grocery stores right away. But when in doubt, freeze.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
there are a lot of companies out there that will make up raw patties for you. Some are even freeze dried. I would love to do it, Terri is against it completely. Everyone that I know who does it raves about it. Good luck

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
also [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] and @karenben raw feed as well and i believe gatorray uses the prey model also. you may want to ask them if you have more questions. i think its great. i wish i could raw feed but dont have the time really and im not here a few days a week and not sure the bf would do it when im not. but it is the best way to go for allergies and such. i believe that you can get it already made up in patties that is easier. well good luck which ever you decide.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Raw feeding is great :). I do frankenprey here and it works great for us. If you live in the US or Canada, the chances of there being parasites in meats that you buy from the store is about 0. Also, their digestive systems are not comparable to a humans and they do not have the same reaction to bacteria in raw meat as we do. I am very careful when I prepare their food and use gloves, wash frequently and use clean (as sterile as possible) utensils and cutting boards. There is very little risk of them getting sick from bacteria.

I am sure that savemejeebus sent you to the group I would send you to so I won't worry about that. They are great! You can start at any time. I started my basset at 8 years old and she is THRIVING (actually, improving!). Don't worry about the bones, as long as they are NOT cooked there is very little risk of them being harmful. All of the vets I have seen support raw feeding (8 in total) as well. I do not feed fruit or veggies on a regular basis. Honestly, they cannot digest them properly unless they are pureed. Dogs are carnivores....not omnivores. They CAN eat them, but won't gain much as far as nutrition goes. I do give it to them here and there just because they like it. Actually, your guy's allergies will likely improve and the bones are actually GOOD for their teeth. A raw fed dog doesn't need teeth cleaning or brushing. You just need to stay away from weight bearing bones from large animals like cows, etc. Chicken, turkey and pork bones are great.

Anyway, good luck with your research. I hope you find what works for Tyson. Be it raw or not. :).

edited to add: I mistakenly said that if bones were cooked there was little risk. Sorry! TYPO! It is that if they are NOT cooked there is little risk.

Last edited:

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I second the group savemejeebus is recommending. Its never too early nor too late to start raw. But if you decide to go with it - switch cold turkey. Dont do one meal kibble one meal raw - you are going to screw up their digestive system (they digest at different rates). Do your research and see prices through the stores so you can be sure you can do it...good luck with it!

GatorRay - you forgot the "not" in front of cooked bones :hahaha:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
GatorRay - you forgot the "not" in front of cooked bones :hahaha:

YIKES! I just fixed that. lol. Sorry for the typo guys....don't give them cooked bones! They splinter and bend.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I was just about to ask for clarification on this. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.