Zeus's Raw Feeding Journal

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Conan has been having quite the soft stool lately. Diarrhea quality. Not totally just liquid but definitely ends up in a chunky mass. I'm hoping (assuming) that is probably due to just overall stress of the change in home, environment, and even food as I've been feeding him some ground up raw chicken/bone and a bit of beef offal to start.

He sometimes seems like he's gonna throw up, but then ends up either stopping or finishing with nothing coming out.

Should I be worried at all? Second day and I'm already wondering what's goin on! I'm THINKING it's nothing but figured I'd ask the experts. :D

EDIT: Also, he's eating, but not as much as I'd have hoped. Again, nerves?

Stig started the diet with ground up chicken w/ bone and tripe and he had runny poops as well. It was most likely because we couldn't control the bone content, which he needed more of in the beginning. I suggest adding more bone. Don't worry, it won't hurt if he eats more bone than meat for now. Some dogs just need more in the beginning. At this moment, Stig can eat a meal with very little or no bone at all. He started raw back in Nov/Dec 2010.

How much is Conan eating? We also found that Stig did best with the 2% of adult weight range, so he gets approx 1lb everyday. Runny poops could be a sign of too much food too.

Do you belong to the Yahoo rawfeeding group? It's a fantastic source of info. Lots of newbs asking questions and pro amateurs :) answering them.

Last edited:

wormed

Aug 10, 2011
Stig started the diet with ground up chicken w/ bone and tripe and he had runny poops as well. It was most likely because we couldn't control the bone content, which he needed more of in the beginning. I suggest adding more bone. Don't worry, it won't hurt if he eats more bone than meat for now. Some dogs just need more in the beginning. At this moment, Stig can eat a meal with very little or no bone at all. He started raw back in Nov/Dec 2010.

How much is Conan eating? We also found that Stig did best with the 2% of adult weight range, so he gets approx 1lb everyday. Runny poops could be a sign of too much food too.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I figured if there was gonna be a change, to maybe give some more bone.

He's probably only eaten maybe 1/2 lb of food in the last day and a half. First day he didn't eat anything until the very end of the day. He didn't even finish it.

Today, he went at the leftovers, ate a good amount of it but still left some. I'm hoping he'll eat the rest in his next meal. But I was using 5% his body weight atm, and he's 10lbs. So a bit more than 1/2lb, so definitely not an overeating situation. I think today he'll finish off his bowl mid-day and have a bit more before bed. Hopefully!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] gave great advice. I would also add bone. Give him a piece of whole chicken to get that bone in there. I would do a leg quarter or even thigh if he is only 10lbs he can handle that.

Good luck and don't give up. The yahoo groups are awesome too and they can really help you if you need it.

wormed

Aug 10, 2011
@savemejeebus gave great advice. I would also add bone. Give him a piece of whole chicken to get that bone in there. I would do a leg quarter or even thigh if he is only 10lbs he can handle that.

Good luck and don't give up. The yahoo groups are awesome too and they can really help you if you need it.

Definitely won't give up! Raw is too good for him.

He pooped twice today. The later one today was still soft but definitely "thickening" up.

Although, he has been scratching himself more lately. I'm worried it's an allergic reaction. Going to give him a bath, as he definitely needs one. Hopefully that helps. Thanks all.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Definitely won't give up! Raw is too good for him.

He pooped twice today. The later one today was still soft but definitely "thickening" up.

Although, he has been scratching himself more lately. I'm worried it's an allergic reaction. Going to give him a bath, as he definitely needs one. Hopefully that helps. Thanks all.

If he is scratching himself, you might wanna check the package of the chicken you are feeding and make sure that it isn't "enhanced". Look at the sodium content and make sure it is under 100. Enhanced chicken can cause a reaction such as itching. Also, it takes 24 hours for whatever you fed him to show in the poop. Meaning, if you upped his bone today, you can expect to see his poop firm up tomorrow :). If he is having trouble finishing what you think he should have, try giving smaller, more frequent meals. Sometimes that helps :)

Congrats on your new baby, btw!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if hes new to raw then the organs will give him the runs ,you need to feed just chicken for a good while before adding different protiens and organs need to be added very very slowly they can be quite harsh on a dogs system at first ,karen

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
yey wormed!!!! Post a pic of Samson eat, it would be so cute :luv: Search rawfeeding yahoo group, they have amazing info and support!

I have noticed a lot of the chicken breast are enhanced. Tysons are over 200mg sodium, the store brand over 100....I found one that was packaged by a store itself, asked the butcher where they came from and the sodium level was over 300! I have been lucky to find chicken leg quarters with just about 90mg and the whole fryer chickens are below 100 too. No organs for us yet either - maybe after he is transitioned onto red meat.

Btw, Zeus finished a 3 and a half pund fryer chicken in a day and a half and loving it! Poops are all normal now, but they look a bit bigger

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
yey wormed!!!! Post a pic of Samson eat, it would be so cute :luv: Search rawfeeding yahoo group, they have amazing info and support!

I have noticed a lot of the chicken breast are enhanced. Tysons are over 200mg sodium, the store brand over 100....I found one that was packaged by a store itself, asked the butcher where they came from and the sodium level was over 300! I have been lucky to find chicken leg quarters with just about 90mg and the whole fryer chickens are below 100 too. No organs for us yet either - maybe after he is transitioned onto red meat.

Btw, Zeus finished a 3 and a half pund fryer chicken in a day and a half and loving it! Poops are all normal now, but they look a bit bigger

Oooo..I love the whole chickens. I get the Purdue ones. They are about 80mgs so in a good range. When I get just pieces, they tend to go higher to 90. I find that at the smallest, older stores, you can get the best meats and organs for them. The big modern stores charge too much and everything is enhanced :(

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i have put annie on pork ribs for her bone content and withdrawn the chicken ,shes itching again and am thinking that perhaps the chicken is enhanced though im still thinking wool allergy ,pork ribs are quite expensive here in the uk but hey if its good for her and now shes established on raw i can get away with feeding less bone ,every other day she gets bone now and poops are still nice size and firm!!!,what a subject to type about on a sunday morning lol,karen

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
i have put annie on pork ribs for her bone content and withdrawn the chicken ,shes itching again and am thinking that perhaps the chicken is enhanced though im still thinking wool allergy ,pork ribs are quite expensive here in the uk but hey if its good for her and now shes established on raw i can get away with feeding less bone ,every other day she gets bone now and poops are still nice size and firm!!!,what a subject to type about on a sunday morning lol,karen

ribs are kinda expensive here too...wow allergic to wool and/or grass...poor annie and poor you....so sad if a dog cant roll in the grass :-(

Oooo..I love the whole chickens. I get the Purdue ones. They are about 80mgs so in a good range. When I get just pieces, they tend to go higher to 90. I find that at the smallest, older stores, you can get the best meats and organs for them. The big modern stores charge too much and everything is enhanced :(

I found that to be true too!!!! The big chains are way more expensive. What I pay for 1 whole chicken there (about 3lbs each), I get 2 of them for the same price at the smaller store (about 7 something lbs both)! And omg beef and pork are so expensive, even with the labor day sale cheapest per pound was about 2.40 :-(

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I hit the grocery early in the mornings when I can and snatch up all of the manager's specials for pork and beef. Usually ever two or three weeks our store will have chicken for 69 cents a lb so I will buy them out. Also, the smaller stores sometimes have beef roasts and pork ribs for under $2 a lb which is ok with me :)

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Now that school is starting tomorrow (yey!!!!) I will have a bit more free time to use in the early mornings :-)

My dad works in a restaurant and brought me today shavings from pork from there....ugghhh, they are more fat than meat, I think I will end up throwing them out

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Now that school is starting tomorrow (yey!!!!) I will have a bit more free time to use in the early mornings :-)

My dad works in a restaurant and brought me today shavings from pork from there....ugghhh, they are more fat than meat, I think I will end up throwing them out

Actually fat for a puppy is a good thing. I wouldn't make a meal out of it or anything, but you can add a few bites here and there once he is good with chicken. They get their energy from fat and protein since they don't have carbs/sugars in their diet. I would keep it and add it when you are doing chicken meals once you have completely introduced pork.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
sorry for the delay, got caught up working :-(

I kept some of the fats, but tossed the most. Didnt have room in the freezer :-( I am always looking at craigslist for a cheaper chest freezer and at the recycle groups as well.

Zeus is doing awesome on the food. Now if its cut up meat like gizzards - they are gone by the time I count to 10 lol

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Now if its cut up meat like gizzards - they are gone by the time I count to 10 lol

Oooo...I have this with Gypsy as well. If I give her cut up meats, I actually only give her one piece at a time. A few weeks ago she GOBBLED hers and some must have gotten stuck and she had a really hard time. She wasn't choking (she could breathe) but it was stuck somewhere and she couldn't get it up for the longest time. She is a gobbler and even choked and passed out on kibble once.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.