Zeus's Raw Feeding Journal

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
A little intro - I have fed raw before, but the pre packaged ones. This time around I am changing my mind and as I make my dog work for his food and treats (i.e. sit, wait etc), I think he should work WITH it too. So I am starting the pray model raw feeding. Joined a yahoo group as well for extra support.

Zeus is 3 and 1/2 months old today. 22 lbs heavy. Expected to be between 65-70 (his dads weight - his moms is 55).

Yesterday morning at 8am I gave Zeus his last cup of Blue Wilderness Puppy. I do have a whole new bag waiting too, but I am not opening it.

2pm - He got a chicken thigh about 1/5 lb, around 250gr. I took the skin off and placed it in his bowl. He ate it that way and started working on the meat. My boy made me proud by crunching up the bone and finishing everything.

noon - a chewing toy, raw pigs ear outside. He was throwing it in air and chewing and playing.

7pm - 1lb heave whole cornish hen. Ate the wings and legs and left the rest.

He pooped 3 times yesterday - his normal size and firmness.

IMAG0729.jpgIMAG0731.jpgIMAG0730.jpg

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
No poop since yesterday mid afternoon.

8 am today - gave him the rest of the cornish hen. Ate the skin. I had to cut up the breast a bit in order for him to eat. He seemed as if he didnt know what to do with that whole ball of meat.

This is what is left of it, I am not sure should I feed it to him again:

IMAG0732.jpg

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Sounds like you are doing great so far! If that piece that is left is fairly large, yes, you can put it back in the fridge and offer it again. No worries on the poop, it takes longer to digest raw plus his body will use most, if not all, of his food so there will be little waste. Sometimes mine will not poop for a day and normally they will poop once a day.

Can't wait to hear more!

wormed

Aug 10, 2011
Thanks for this thread. As I'm getting my guy pretty soon, this will be very helpful.

EDIT: Oh, out of curiosity sake, how much are you attempting to feed him per day? Around 2 lbs worth? Thanks.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
GatorRay, it looks like it has some more meat on it....but somehow I doubt he will dab into it. If he doesnt touch it, I will offer him gizzards and see what he does.

He pooped today at around 9 am. On the smaller side. Firm and it turned white within few hours. Water intake - almost none. Not even after his walk this morning - just a bit while we were walking from the bottle.

Wormed, yes I am going for about 2 pounds a day, but it seems as if he is not eating that much.

Went to the grocery store and found some great deals! Chicken leg quarters for 0.49c a pound, 3lbs of whole fish for 4.99 (heads not included), split chicken breast for 0.88c a pound and gizzards for 1.25 a pound. Gizzards more expensive? Baffles me.

2 pm - 1lb of fish, mixed up salmon and tilapia fillets. Topped with a teaspoon of cottage cheese and teaspoon of Dannon plain yogurt. Did not finish everything. It looks as if he ate about 13oz. I gave him this much in one sitting because his breakfast was not as much as I expected.

I plan on giving him fish couple times a week because I dont want to give him fish oil supplements. Hope this works.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont feed raw but i think for those who may want to reading about it would be a big help. there are several faw feeders here so if any questions come up just ask.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@zeusmommy as [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] can attest to , I so much want to feed my pack a raw diet. Every time I have to buy a bag of Kibble, I cringe.
I'm probably driving my husband nuts. That's the plan :ROFL:

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
haha, Sherry I know! I was reading you in the Raw thread...lol

My husband does not care what so ever what I feed the dog - as long as it doesnt get him to be broke....lol

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
7 pm - he finished the rest of the cornish hen!!!! Crunched up the rib cage and everything, there was not even a drop of meat left.

Pooped again after eating. Thin and small, but soft and light.

IMAG0736.jpg
IMAG0735.jpg

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Too much bone in the past few days :-( And, I came to find out that tilapia fish doesnt have Omega 3, but Omega 6 and thats not wanted....sooooo I am sticking with chicken for a week or two before giving him fish again. I will cut the bone out of some split chicken breast in order to have more meat. Also, I was advised to feed 4 times a day.

8 am - 8 oz of chicken gizzards with crushed egg

Ate only half of it. Maybe the gizzards were foreign to him...lol

wormed

Aug 10, 2011
Also, I was advised to feed 4 times a day.

I have heard so many varying numbers regarding this. I've read in books that you should be at 3-5x a day, as well as saying 2x, even at puppy stage. I guess if he's not eating the amount you gave him, then I can guess more eating sessions makes sense. My breeder said 2x has always worked for her. I'll probably try 3 like you were, zeusmommy.

Again, lovin the updates and reading the trial and error you go through. Also, the pics are excellent additions! Much appreciated.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I have heard so many varying numbers regarding this. I've read in books that you should be at 3-5x a day, as well as saying 2x, even at puppy stage. I guess if he's not eating the amount you gave him, then I can guess more eating sessions makes sense. My breeder said 2x has always worked for her. I'll probably try 3 like you were, zeusmommy.

Again, lovin the updates and reading the trial and error you go through. Also, the pics are excellent additions! Much appreciated.

I have always done 3 feedings, even with kibble....but at the raw group they recommend 4 until the puppy is 4 months old, then 3 until 6 months of age and then 2 or 1....I guess I will try the 4 meals, maybe the portions are too big for him....who knows. It is trial and error :)

He was fed nutro when I got him. It took me week to transfer him to Wilderness and now I am doing raw...maybe too much change too fast for him....but for the past 2 days I have noticed his eyes are not gunky and they dont tear as much as they used to. The tear stain spots are drier than they have been...maybe its food related

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.