Zeus's Raw Feeding Journal

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Just want to let you'all know, I soooooooo follow this thread.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I kept some of the fats, but tossed the most. Didnt have room in the freezer :-( I am always looking at craigslist for a cheaper chest freezer and at the recycle groups as well.

Oh, gosh, a chest freezer is wonderful. I have a half-sized one and it is the BEST! have you watched Freecycle? Maybe check at Goodwill or something or even post a wanted add in Craigslist. LOVE it so I can buy out the store on any really great deals.

[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], no luck w/hubby huh?

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Oh, gosh, a chest freezer is wonderful. I have a half-sized one and it is the BEST! have you watched Freecycle? Maybe check at Goodwill or something or even post a wanted add in Craigslist. LOVE it so I can buy out the store on any really great deals.

@Sherry , no luck w/hubby huh?

Yeap, I got in the Freecycle groups around me. I already posted about wanted old meat, so I am about to wait a bit before I post wanted deep freezer..lol...a guy on Craigslist was selling one for 60$, but new ones are about 100-120...now THIS is what I dont want to tell my husband...lol...delaying it

Just want to let you'all know, I soooooooo follow this thread.

Any progress yet? I have an unopened bag of kibble that I wanted to give to the lady across me - she fosters dogs, and hubby was like - NO! We might need it..lol..holdoing on to it still...lol

Oooo...I have this with Gypsy as well. If I give her cut up meats, I actually only give her one piece at a time. A few weeks ago she GOBBLED hers and some must have gotten stuck and she had a really hard time. She wasn't choking (she could breathe) but it was stuck somewhere and she couldn't get it up for the longest time. She is a gobbler and even choked and passed out on kibble once.

Oh, dear....Zeus sometimes pukes while he eats, then eats that up, eats more meat, pukes, eats it....uugghhhhh

Anywaaaays, I didnt even realize it was 2 weeks since we started raw!!! Today I got some pork meat. Here are the prices, let me know your thoughts on them:

1.29$ per lb for pork chops
1.49$ per lb for pork shoulder, boston butt (whatever that is)
2.49$ per lb for boneless sirloin pork (ummmm, keeping it for myself? lol)
1.99$ per lb for pork rib tips (long meaty, very meaty cuts with one rib bone)

Also looked at beef tongue and its 3.99$ per pound!!! Oh dang it!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I would for sure buy the shoulder. You can try to pork chop, but I would leave it whole. I like the pork rib tips but I prefer to get the whole slab and keep several bones together so they aren't a choking hazzard. When they can get the whole thing in their mouths, I remove it. Ribs are a good way to get them bone.

Lucy ate some cross cut ribs today and she does GREAT. I can give her anything with bone, no matter how small and she is very very slow and careful. Can't say the same for the bullys.

I think you are doing so GREAT! I am very proud of both Zeus and you. You are rockin' it :).

edited to add: the puking and re-eating is totally not a big deal. They do that sometimes. Not a biggie :). Mine used to do it quite a bit at the beginning, but they haven't in a long time.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
wooo hoooooo for Lucy!!!!!! Maybe she is not gulping because she is smaller breed? I wonder sometimes if the risk of bloat is smaller on the raw diet, you know....

I got the shoulder, couldnt pass that. But the whole piece was a bit over 7lbs and I still have a hard time eyeing his portion. So, I chopped it - but not too small though. The piece that had bone in it - I left it weighing about 2 lbs. That way I know he needs to eat that in about 4 or more sittings.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
wooo hoooooo for Lucy!!!!!! Maybe she is not gulping because she is smaller breed? I wonder sometimes if the risk of bloat is smaller on the raw diet, you know....

I got the shoulder, couldnt pass that. But the whole piece was a bit over 7lbs and I still have a hard time eyeing his portion. So, I chopped it - but not too small though. The piece that had bone in it - I left it weighing about 2 lbs. That way I know he needs to eat that in about 4 or more sittings.

Actually, Lucy is my biggest at about 65lbs. lol. Bloat is a HUGE problem in Bassets. She used to be free-fed until we brought the bullies home. She prefers to eat a few pieces of food at a time but now is on a schedule so will eat her whole meal or I have to take it up.

I love leaving it whole. I always feel better about them just gnawing on it when it is big :). Zeus is gonna love that!

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Actually, Lucy is my biggest at about 65lbs. lol. Bloat is a HUGE problem in Bassets. She used to be free-fed until we brought the bullies home. She prefers to eat a few pieces of food at a time but now is on a schedule so will eat her whole meal or I have to take it up.

I love leaving it whole. I always feel better about them just gnawing on it when it is big :). Zeus is gonna love that!

lol....oh boy, my mistake :) I know exactly what you are saying about watching them eat it whole. Its so cute seeing this white fur ball tearing down a whole chicken. I go to him squeeze him and say "My little predator"...lol

He is eating from the shoulder one meal - another meal chicken for bone. No problem with poop what so ever! Loving it! As soon as he sees me put down the towel - he hops on it..lol...HOPS like a bunny...lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
lol. I know what you mean. Stid sprints to his x-Pen when he knows its feeding time.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I love the way they run and hop.....being so low and thick its so cute...lol

After being on raw for a month now and eating chicken, pork and turkey - I tried giving him a small piece of chicken liver today....ohhhh, I have been reading about lots of dogs that do not like the texture - but Zeus swallowed it and looked at me for more...lol

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I love the way they run and hop.....being so low and thick its so cute...lol

After being on raw for a month now and eating chicken, pork and turkey - I tried giving him a small piece of chicken liver today....ohhhh, I have been reading about lots of dogs that do not like the texture - but Zeus swallowed it and looked at me for more...lol

Good for Zeus! Gypsy and Gator love liver too. Lucy doesn't care for it so I freeze it in "cookie" size and she will eat it that way.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Good for Zeus! Gypsy and Gator love liver too. Lucy doesn't care for it so I freeze it in "cookie" size and she will eat it that way.

I was anticipating it too...was getting ready to cook it lightly, but it went good :-) Do you give liver every day?

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I was anticipating it too...was getting ready to cook it lightly, but it went good :-) Do you give liver every day?

I don't give every day. I give a nice sized piece 3 or 4 times a week. I use it like a treat :). I usually cut it up into small, bite sized pieces, lay them on a foil covered cookie sheet and put it in a freezer. The next day I throw them in a gallon ziploc freezer bag and keep them in the kitchen freezer to give as treats.

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Ohhh, I will need to freeze them separately too...way easier

Sooo, what happens at the store the other day....I go to buy some more of that big pork shoulder cut with bone and get to the cashiers register. Had 2 of those, some turkey necks, whole fryer chicken and chicken liver. The lady takes the pork piece, looks at it and goes:

- With bone?
- Yes.
- How do you cook it?
- I dont, I give it to my dog to eat.
- You cook it?
- No.
- You give it to him raw?
- Yeap.

LOL....her look was priceless...lol...she didnt seem as judgmental, just surprised and was asking few more questions.

Again, the other day I was dying my hair and Zeus was eating. I looked at him and decided he had had enough. Told hubby to go pick up the meat. Hubby: - Eeeewwww, this is gross, Jas! I will puke! Hahahhaaaaa!!!!

One more...lol...my neighbor and friend was over for some chat and the kids to play. It was Zeus's eating time. I whip out the towel and meat and he goes for it. My neighbor started screaming and went to my husband - Do you know what she just fed the dog? LOL....and I DID tell her I need freezer burnt meat and old meat...guess she didnt quiet register it...lol

Just wanted to share.

Anyways, went to game meat processing plant to ask for scrap meat. Lady told me to call them Sunday, with hunting season now they should have something later on. I was asking for scrap meat, antlers, heads....what else can they give me? Organs I am guessing they want them to sell?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
your so lucky you have hunting season,our hunting season is rushing round the supermarket looking for bargains lol,so expensive here in the uk and thats just for the humans to eat!!!,your doing so well raw feeding keep up the good work,dont forget tho they can tend to pile on the weight with raw lol,karen

OP
zeusmommy

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
lol karen, I hunt the newspapers and markets too...lol....I wish I could get anything for free, but I have a feeling they still will charge me and game meat is expensive. I hope I get a good price considering they will throw away those things most likely anyways.

Omg, piling on the weight! I have noticed that :-( I cut down on Zeus's food intake cuz it seems as if he is losing his waist line

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.