Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Zeus's Raw Feeding Journal

Just want to let you'all know, I soooooooo follow this thread.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zeusmommy View Post
    I kept some of the fats, but tossed the most. Didnt have room in the freezer :-( I am always looking at craigslist for a cheaper chest freezer and at the recycle groups as well.
    Oh, gosh, a chest freezer is wonderful. I have a half-sized one and it is the BEST! have you watched Freecycle? Maybe check at Goodwill or something or even post a wanted add in Craigslist. LOVE it so I can buy out the store on any really great deals.

@Sherry, no luck w/hubby huh?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    Oh, gosh, a chest freezer is wonderful. I have a half-sized one and it is the BEST! have you watched Freecycle? Maybe check at Goodwill or something or even post a wanted add in Craigslist. LOVE it so I can buy out the store on any really great deals.

@Sherry , no luck w/hubby huh?
    Yeap, I got in the Freecycle groups around me. I already posted about wanted old meat, so I am about to wait a bit before I post wanted deep freezer..lol...a guy on Craigslist was selling one for 60$, but new ones are about 100-120...now THIS is what I dont want to tell my husband...lol...delaying it

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Just want to let you'all know, I soooooooo follow this thread.
    Any progress yet? I have an unopened bag of kibble that I wanted to give to the lady across me - she fosters dogs, and hubby was like - NO! We might need it..lol..holdoing on to it still...lol

Oooo...I have this with Gypsy as well. If I give her cut up meats, I actually only give her one piece at a time. A few weeks ago she GOBBLED hers and some must have gotten stuck and she had a really hard time. She wasn't choking (she could breathe) but it was stuck somewhere and she couldn't get it up for the longest time. She is a gobbler and even choked and passed out on kibble once.
    Oh, dear....Zeus sometimes pukes while he eats, then eats that up, eats more meat, pukes, eats it....uugghhhhh

Anywaaaays, I didnt even realize it was 2 weeks since we started raw!!! Today I got some pork meat. Here are the prices, let me know your thoughts on them:

1.29$ per lb for pork chops
    1.49$ per lb for pork shoulder, boston butt (whatever that is)
    2.49$ per lb for boneless sirloin pork (ummmm, keeping it for myself? lol)
    1.99$ per lb for pork rib tips (long meaty, very meaty cuts with one rib bone)

Also looked at beef tongue and its 3.99$ per pound!!! Oh dang it!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I would for sure buy the shoulder. You can try to pork chop, but I would leave it whole. I like the pork rib tips but I prefer to get the whole slab and keep several bones together so they aren't a choking hazzard. When they can get the whole thing in their mouths, I remove it. Ribs are a good way to get them bone.

Lucy ate some cross cut ribs today and she does GREAT. I can give her anything with bone, no matter how small and she is very very slow and careful. Can't say the same for the bullys.

I think you are doing so GREAT! I am very proud of both Zeus and you. You are rockin' it .

edited to add: the puking and re-eating is totally not a big deal. They do that sometimes. Not a biggie . Mine used to do it quite a bit at the beginning, but they haven't in a long time.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

wooo hoooooo for Lucy!!!!!! Maybe she is not gulping because she is smaller breed? I wonder sometimes if the risk of bloat is smaller on the raw diet, you know....

I got the shoulder, couldnt pass that. But the whole piece was a bit over 7lbs and I still have a hard time eyeing his portion. So, I chopped it - but not too small though. The piece that had bone in it - I left it weighing about 2 lbs. That way I know he needs to eat that in about 4 or more sittings.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

wooo hoooooo for Lucy!!!!!! Maybe she is not gulping because she is smaller breed? I wonder sometimes if the risk of bloat is smaller on the raw diet, you know....

I got the shoulder, couldnt pass that. But the whole piece was a bit over 7lbs and I still have a hard time eyeing his portion. So, I chopped it - but not too small though. The piece that had bone in it - I left it weighing about 2 lbs. That way I know he needs to eat that in about 4 or more sittings.
    Actually, Lucy is my biggest at about 65lbs. lol. Bloat is a HUGE problem in Bassets. She used to be free-fed until we brought the bullies home. She prefers to eat a few pieces of food at a time but now is on a schedule so will eat her whole meal or I have to take it up.

I love leaving it whole. I always feel better about them just gnawing on it when it is big . Zeus is gonna love that!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Actually, Lucy is my biggest at about 65lbs. lol. Bloat is a HUGE problem in Bassets. She used to be free-fed until we brought the bullies home. She prefers to eat a few pieces of food at a time but now is on a schedule so will eat her whole meal or I have to take it up.

I love leaving it whole. I always feel better about them just gnawing on it when it is big . Zeus is gonna love that!
    lol....oh boy, my mistake I know exactly what you are saying about watching them eat it whole. Its so cute seeing this white fur ball tearing down a whole chicken. I go to him squeeze him and say "My little predator"...lol

He is eating from the shoulder one meal - another meal chicken for bone. No problem with poop what so ever! Loving it! As soon as he sees me put down the towel - he hops on it..lol...HOPS like a bunny...lol

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

lol. I know what you mean. Stid sprints to his x-Pen when he knows its feeding time.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

I love the way they run and hop.....being so low and thick its so cute...lol

After being on raw for a month now and eating chicken, pork and turkey - I tried giving him a small piece of chicken liver today....ohhhh, I have been reading about lots of dogs that do not like the texture - but Zeus swallowed it and looked at me for more...lol

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I love the way they run and hop.....being so low and thick its so cute...lol

After being on raw for a month now and eating chicken, pork and turkey - I tried giving him a small piece of chicken liver today....ohhhh, I have been reading about lots of dogs that do not like the texture - but Zeus swallowed it and looked at me for more...lol
    Good for Zeus! Gypsy and Gator love liver too. Lucy doesn't care for it so I freeze it in "cookie" size and she will eat it that way.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Good for Zeus! Gypsy and Gator love liver too. Lucy doesn't care for it so I freeze it in "cookie" size and she will eat it that way.
    I was anticipating it too...was getting ready to cook it lightly, but it went good :-) Do you give liver every day?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was anticipating it too...was getting ready to cook it lightly, but it went good :-) Do you give liver every day?
    I don't give every day. I give a nice sized piece 3 or 4 times a week. I use it like a treat . I usually cut it up into small, bite sized pieces, lay them on a foil covered cookie sheet and put it in a freezer. The next day I throw them in a gallon ziploc freezer bag and keep them in the kitchen freezer to give as treats.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Remove Ads