Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samsons first week on raw diet

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson "Sammy"
    Likes (Received)

Cool Samsons first week on raw diet

I started Samson on a raw diet last week - he's almost 5 months old and I'm already sick of all the dog food manufacturers (I don't feel like any of them are honest.) Anyways, I'm feeding him 3 times a day, in the morning he'll eat a portion of a leg quarter, he'll finish up the quarter in the afternoon, and then have another leg quarter in the evening. So far really GOOD! He's always had a really heavy dog odor, even though I religously clean his face every day and I was giving him a bath every week - no more dog odor! You can't smell him anymore! The hot spots on his back have also filled in, and he's not losing hair like he previously was. I thought maybe I was convincing myself that things were different because I really wanted to do this for him, but my boyfriend (who was COMPLETELY skeptical of raw feeding) is amazed at the difference in his smell and fur. He hasn't experienced a lot of the detox symptoms I read about, thankfully - his bowel movements are down to once a day (instead of 4 times per day), his ears are really goopy so I've been cleaning them twice a day, and his eyes are really gunky, again I'm cleaning them two or three times a day for now. From what I've read the ear and the eye drainage is pretty typical in the first week or two - not a big deal though. We found a great deal on raw chicken last week - 20lbs of whole chicken and chicken quarters for $9.00!! We're going to keep him on chicken for another week and then slowly add in pork and then organs eventually. I'm really excited because I didn't think I'd see results so quickly (and wasn't sure if I'd see them at all.) I'll keep everyone posted on his progress - good and bad (hopefully no bad though!)

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Samsons first week on raw diet

Very interesting ... yes please, keep us updated on how you find it!!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

YAY~!!!! Another one bites the dust. lol. I look forward to hearing about his progress. I am still working my blog if you wanna take a look and if you need any help, just PM and I will try. I am so glad you are seeing positive results so early. I have been too and am just waiting for the day that I can post the before and after pics of Gator's tear stains. They are lookin good!

Good for you, congratulations for taking the plunge.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

That's awesome!!! I keep thinking about it for Chunk ... haven't found a kibble that seems to completely work for him.
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear of another member who is doing this and loving it. I am still in consideration phase but not quite sure about it just yet.

Feed Store Operator Angievelvet's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mrs. Angela Hernandez
    Bulldog(s) Names
    violet elizabeth
    Likes (Received)

This is great news! I want to start violet on a raw diet but with us moving to north Carolina October 5th and we are driving I think it'll be to hard feed her.

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Tapatalk

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

So nice to hear it's working well for you....Just out of curiosity, what kibble were you feeding him before you switched to raw? I'm fascinated by raw, but I don't know if it's for us or not.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

sounds great! keep us updated, I am just thinking.....ewwwwww!!! I have issues with meat myself, but organs....yuck
    Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson "Sammy"
    Likes (Received)

@Luvin My Bullie OMG the organs smell horrible, I bought chicken gizzards out of curiousity and I gave him one - he thought it was AWESOME, but they spell horrible! @MissPennyLue Samson was on Fromm Beef Frittata and Surf and Turf, so one of the better brands, but after reading the letter that they were using Chinese chemicals I was done and decided to take the plunge! My mom has also been considering feeding raw for awhile and since I decided to do it, my mom stopped feeding her dogs (domerman and dachsund) Fromm and started on raw (last week Thursday.) @GatorRay can you send me the link to your blog? I need any help I can get, especially from a fellow bulldog owner! I also joined the Yahoo rawfeeding and facebook rawfeeding groups, I saw that you recommended the Yahoo rawfeeding group - so far they have been VERY helpful.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mod85 View Post
    @Luvin My Bullie OMG the organs smell horrible, I bought chicken gizzards out of curiousity and I gave him one - he thought it was AWESOME, but they spell horrible! @MissPennyLue Samson was on Fromm Beef Frittata and Surf and Turf, so one of the better brands, but after reading the letter that they were using Chinese chemicals I was done and decided to take the plunge! My mom has also been considering feeding raw for awhile and since I decided to do it, my mom stopped feeding her dogs (domerman and dachsund) Fromm and started on raw (last week Thursday.) @GatorRay can you send me the link to your blog? I need any help I can get, especially from a fellow bulldog owner! I also joined the Yahoo rawfeeding and facebook rawfeeding groups, I saw that you recommended the Yahoo rawfeeding group - so far they have been VERY helpful.

exactly why I don't think I could do it
    Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Mod85 there is also a rawpuppy group you may want to join, and rawchat. They are both good. @karenben also raw feeds and so does @savemejeebus . They helped me a lot. They have way more experience than I do and give good suggestions to issues.

Blog is here: English Bulldog News ~Forums~ - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs

T
    he organs ARE kind of gross smelling (and feeling) but I found after the first few times of handling it, it got a lot easier. After having 6 kids, with three in diapers at the same time, I find I can deal with some organs. lol

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

So are you following a specific diet plan? I was just curious because you didn't say anything about veggies, fruit etc, so I wasn't sure if you have a specific plan you are following.

I know there are also a lot of raw food companies out there, some of which have it all pre-pattied for you. With Bella's EPI I have to be so very careful of how and what I feed her, so I am very nervous about switching out on a good thing. Terri also does not like the idea of raw, but so many people out there swear by it.

Always with me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads