Samsons first week on raw diet

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] my concern with the ground is that you have no control over the bone content (if there is any) and then mixing with kibble can clog up "the works" because kibble takes a lot longer to digest. Also, it deprives them of the mental and physical benefits of chewing on a bone. Meaning cleaner teeth and their desire to chew is satisfied. If you switch to just patties, that might work out ok if Sarah does well on them. I know [MENTION=1104]jortiz9758[/MENTION] feeds Bruno patties and he is just GORGEOUS. I don't know if he might make them himself though. Hopefully he will respond :).

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I feed Bruno patties that I make and freeze. My butcher ( and not many do ) will grind up everything I buy for me, bone and all. I give Bruno mostly red meat. He does not do well on chicken. I give him some Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Oxtail and include Veggies. I also mix in ACV, a crushed multi Vit, salmon oil, and a little garlic for flavor.
I make my own patties because it is less messy to feed and easier and faster for me to thaw out.
I had him on all the top name brand kibbles and RAW has been the absolute best for him. The biggest change I saw in him was the bumps and scabs he had all over went away almost 95% and his face and body no longer smell at all. His face was the worst...it absolutely smelled like :poo: even right after I bathed him.( was not yeast)
Taking him on Auditions was pretty embarrassing but no more of that stink =)

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I feed Bruno patties that I make and freeze. My butcher ( and not many do ) will grind up everything I buy for me, bone and all. I give Bruno mostly red meat. He does not do well on chicken. I give him some Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Oxtail and include Veggies. I also mix in ACV, a crushed multi Vit, salmon oil, and a little garlic for flavor.
I make my own patties because it is less messy to feed and easier and faster for me to thaw out.
I had him on all the top name brand kibbles and RAW has been the absolute best for him. The biggest change I saw in him was the bumps and scabs he had all over went away almost 95% and his face and body no longer smell at all. His face was the worst...it absolutely smelled like :poo: even right after I bathed him.( was not yeast)
Taking him on Auditions was pretty embarrassing but no more of that stink =)

Thank you for answering. How cool that your butcher will grind it for you. I would consider it as well if I could have some control over the bone content.

OP
Mod85

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Samson has now been on raw for about a month...I almost gave up a few weeks ago but (with some helpful advice) found that I was feeding him way too much. I'm now feeding 2% of his adult body weight (based on 55lbs) about a 1.25 lbs per day, some days I give him a bit more but for the most part around 1.25lbs. Samson was at the vet this afternoon and he's now 40lbs (at two weeks shy of 6 months) so he's thriving and not underweight by any means. The whole process of feeding him is so much easier than it used to be, he now finishes his meal within a few minutes, and keeps it on his towel like he's supposed to. I introduced him to eggs last week and he thinks they're sooooo much fun, but he does leave quite a mess all over the kitchen floor (egg shells everywhere :)) Just thought I'd give a quick update! Below is a current picture of Samson and his BFF (my 4 year old daughter.) :) along with one of him in his Bears jersey (I guess he's a Bears fan even though we're in WI.)

GG (2).jpgGG (2).jpg

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Awww! Isn't he just so cute!!!! Looks like he is doing well. I am glad you got past the bump in the road. There are always people around to help if you need it :)

TrickDogTrainer

Aug 23, 2011
Titusville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Riddick
I'm glad to hear you are having success with the raw diet. I switched all of my animals to raw about 6 years ago, and after 1 week I never looked back. It is amazing how health problems just clear up so fast. I can't wait to hear your progress and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm glad to hear you are having success with the raw diet. I switched all of my animals to raw about 6 years ago, and after 1 week I never looked back. It is amazing how health problems just clear up so fast. I can't wait to hear your progress and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Oh fantastic! Another source of raw info! I am happy to hear it. Thanks for letting us know. I am fairly new to raw (going on 2 months now) but there are some more veteran raw feeders here that are great too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.