Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samsons first week on raw diet

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Samsons first week on raw diet

I do not feed fruits/veggies. All that they need is in the meat. Cooked meat destroys all of the goodness but raw still has a beautiful variety of vitamins. Plus, actually, dogs can't digest the fruits and veggies unless you puree it. Notice, mine pooped apple slices out mostly whole and no dog digests grass either. They just aren't necessary . I do occasinally give them a bite of apple or green bean or something but I know it is just because they like it, not because it will do them any good. Dog food generally add these things because they cook all of the good stuff out of the meat and they add the grains/carbs to help with binding like raw feeders use bone. They can't digest the grains either.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It takes mine all of about 2 minutes to eat a meal. Sometimes longer if I give a bone. Lucy likes hers in the grass (I mean ON the grass), Gypsy eats in her crate and it has a pan in it that I just wipe down (takes two seconds) and Gator eats in the kitchen. Believe me, it doesn't get slung around or all over them. Like @karenben said, they love it and are too greedy to miss a single smidge so it is easy to just wipe up anything germy. lol. Look at it this way, with the time you will save cleaning poop out of the lawn, you can easily clean up! lol. Mine poop only once or twice (rarely) a day and they were pooping 4+ on kibble.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson "Sammy"
    Likes (Received)

@GatorRay Samson takes about 15-20 minutes right now to eat a leg quarter. Did it take longer at first? Or did they always eat quickly?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mod85 View Post
    @GatorRay Samson takes about 15-20 minutes right now to eat a leg quarter. Did it take longer at first? Or did they always eat quickly?
    In the beginning, they would take awhile as they're still learning the ropes. Samson should be a pro in no time and be able to finish within a couple of minutes soon enough.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It helps mine if I pull the skin off. Then when they are finished, I give them the skin since they really do need the fat.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i was wondering since raw doesnt seem to be an option for me as im gone 3 days a week and i dont think my partner is going to do this. are the medallions a good alternative? there is a place here that sells the nv raw medallions. could i use that with kibble?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@cowsmom my concern with the ground is that you have no control over the bone content (if there is any) and then mixing with kibble can clog up "the works" because kibble takes a lot longer to digest. Also, it deprives them of the mental and physical benefits of chewing on a bone. Meaning cleaner teeth and their desire to chew is satisfied. If you switch to just patties, that might work out ok if Sarah does well on them. I know @jortiz9758 feeds Bruno patties and he is just GORGEOUS. I don't know if he might make them himself though. Hopefully he will respond .

Real Name
    Bruno's Daddy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

I feed Bruno patties that I make and freeze. My butcher ( and not many do ) will grind up everything I buy for me, bone and all. I give Bruno mostly red meat. He does not do well on chicken. I give him some Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Oxtail and include Veggies. I also mix in ACV, a crushed multi Vit, salmon oil, and a little garlic for flavor.
    I make my own patties because it is less messy to feed and easier and faster for me to thaw out.
    I had him on all the top name brand kibbles and RAW has been the absolute best for him. The biggest change I saw in him was the bumps and scabs he had all over went away almost 95% and his face and body no longer smell at all. His face was the worst...it absolutely smelled like even right after I bathed him.( was not yeast)
    Taking him on Auditions was pretty embarrassing but no more of that stink =)
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1104_1.gif

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jortiz9758 View Post
    I feed Bruno patties that I make and freeze. My butcher ( and not many do ) will grind up everything I buy for me, bone and all. I give Bruno mostly red meat. He does not do well on chicken. I give him some Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Oxtail and include Veggies. I also mix in ACV, a crushed multi Vit, salmon oil, and a little garlic for flavor.
    I make my own patties because it is less messy to feed and easier and faster for me to thaw out.
    I had him on all the top name brand kibbles and RAW has been the absolute best for him. The biggest change I saw in him was the bumps and scabs he had all over went away almost 95% and his face and body no longer smell at all. His face was the worst...it absolutely smelled like even right after I bathed him.( was not yeast)
    Taking him on Auditions was pretty embarrassing but no more of that stink =)
    Thank you for answering. How cool that your butcher will grind it for you. I would consider it as well if I could have some control over the bone content.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson "Sammy"
    Likes (Received)

Samson has now been on raw for about a month...I almost gave up a few weeks ago but (with some helpful advice) found that I was feeding him way too much. I'm now feeding 2% of his adult body weight (based on 55lbs) about a 1.25 lbs per day, some days I give him a bit more but for the most part around 1.25lbs. Samson was at the vet this afternoon and he's now 40lbs (at two weeks shy of 6 months) so he's thriving and not underweight by any means. The whole process of feeding him is so much easier than it used to be, he now finishes his meal within a few minutes, and keeps it on his towel like he's supposed to. I introduced him to eggs last week and he thinks they're sooooo much fun, but he does leave quite a mess all over the kitchen floor (egg shells everywhere ) Just thought I'd give a quick update! Below is a current picture of Samson and his BFF (my 4 year old daughter.) along with one of him in his Bears jersey (I guess he's a Bears fan even though we're in WI.)

-gg-2-jpg-gg-2-jpg

Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

why did you almost give up?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awww! Isn't he just so cute!!!! Looks like he is doing well. I am glad you got past the bump in the road. There are always people around to help if you need it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads