Raw food !!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I know I've read all about the 2-3% of bodyweight in this thread. I understand that. However, I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around being able to buy raw for my dog without thinking about how costly, for example, a steak is to buy at the store. Do you use a butcher? If not, could you simply give me an example of what you'd buy and distribute to your dog? Also, I'm reading that organs shouldn't be fed to my little guy just yet? I need to wait a couple months?

Is buying, for example, a bag of frozen bone-in chicken breasts/thighs or is there a better, more cost effective way? Money isn't the issue with me, however, I don't want to break myself feeding my little guy and myself.

Thanks!

You can usually get the chicken cheaper if you buy the whole chicken. And you don't have to get the choice cuts of beef - you can go with the cheaper cuts like brisket and silverside and there's also oxtail. There's also lamb necks that are cheaper or if you buy an entire leg of lamb that is cheaper too. Even lamb shanks is cheaper too. Pork shoulder is cheaper.

Then pay attention to the grocery weekly circulars that they mail out and see what's on sale that week.

This is funny - I usually do this for me, not my dogs. LOL! I'm actually currently researching buying half of a grass-fed cow to feed the family instead of all these hormone injected, antibiotics-treated, corn-fed cow we get at the grocery.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I know I've read all about the 2-3% of bodyweight in this thread. I understand that. However, I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around being able to buy raw for my dog without thinking about how costly, for example, a steak is to buy at the store. Do you use a butcher? If not, could you simply give me an example of what you'd buy and distribute to your dog? Also, I'm reading that organs shouldn't be fed to my little guy just yet? I need to wait a couple months?

Is buying, for example, a bag of frozen bone-in chicken breasts/thighs or is there a better, more cost effective way? Money isn't the issue with me, however, I don't want to break myself feeding my little guy and myself.

Thanks!

Well, I buy whole chickens. I can usually get them for under $1 a lb and I just use some kitchen shears and cut out the backs (which I save to add bone) and cut them into a good size. Some EB's have issues getting through the skin so if yours does, you can just peel it off (super easy with chicken) and then give it to them later. They do need the fat and skin so don't chuck it.

Start with chicken. It will be easiest for your guy to transition to. After about two weeks, you can start introducing new proteins a bite at a time for a week or so until they adjust. You also need to make sure they are getting plenty of bone. The ratio most used is 80% meat, 10% bones, 10% organs (5% of which should be liver). At first, your guy will likely need more than 10% bone so that is another reason chicken is a good idea since the bone content is high. You can adjust the amount of bone to fit the poop needs. If the poop is not solid, add bone, if it is too solid or chalky coming out, then you are giving too much bone. It is so easy to adjust from day to day. Just like the amount you feed. If you notice he is getting fat, then cut back, if he is getting too thin, add more. It won't hurt them while you figure it out. I added organs pretty quickly for my guys because we had a pressing need (health issue) but normally you can wait a few weeks and then just start with a smidge and work up. Some don't like organs much so I have found that if I freeze them, they will eat them. Also keep in mind that the bigger the better on pieces of meats unless you are feeding no bone then chunking is ok. Anything too small might be a choking hazzard if it has bone in it. For a pup, I would do leg quarters, thighs, bone-in breasts or offer the half chicken and take it when you feel that they have had enough. You can then re-offer it at a different meal for them to finish it off. You will also need to check the nutrition info on the back of the package. Don't give them anything that says "enhanced" or injected with broth or anything else. If it doesn't say that, then you can look at the sodium content and make sure it is LESS than 100 mg per serving. Most whole chickens will be about 80mg and some pieces I have found are up to 90%. Also, keep the "giblets" from the whole chickens to use later. The gizzards are considered meat as well as the heart but the heart & kidneys are organs.

That is a good place to start but there is more info out there and plenty of mentors that will help! We have [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] here that know more than I do. I will also pm you some groups you probably should consider joining for more information.

As far as cuts of meats, I just buy what is cheapest or on sale. Manager's specials are good too. I don't buy them steak when stew meat or a beef roast will do. I also buy pork roast and the cheap pork ribs as well and cut them into meaty meals. Beef or pork heart is also considered meat and not organ and can be fed as such. Around here, I can get that cheaper than I can get a roast. A butcher is good to find for lots of reasons but mostly because they usually have meats such as bison, lamb, goat, etc. which you will eventually want to add into their diet. Variety is important!

At any rate, it sounds complicated but isn't! It is very easy once you get over the nervousness and jump in. Good luck and I hope you decide to feed your pup a species appropriate diet!

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Wings are ok if they are attached to the breast. These guys have HUGE mouths and mine can get a whole bone-in breast in their mouths! You probably found it whole because he swallowed it without crunching the bone. That is why I try to give mine a half of a chicken split down the middle (breast, wing, thigh, leg, attached). Then they actually at least crunch it up before swallowing. Swallowing whole can be a choking hazzard too which is why I started giving large pieces. I made that mistake too. lol. Only I had choking! I will just give them the half chicken and then take it when it looks about half finished and put it in the fridge. At the next meal, I hand it back :).

You can either keep working on teaching him to stay in the kitchen, OR you can take everything out of his crate and just put him there while he eats. That way he will stay off the carpet. lol. Easy to clean too! Just a quick wipe and voila!

I am so happy that you are feeding him raw! Congratulations!

oh holy molly :-( I am so glad the choking didnt happen to me :-( I knew something was weird. I saw him get down to the bone. I turned around to wash the dishes while he is next to me eating and within a blink of an eye the chicken wing bone is gone and I heard no crunching noises as I used to with the other dog. Now I am scared to give him small bones. I think even if its a thin one he will swallow it whole again :-(

Anyways, last night I gave him some tilapia with few blueberries and a whole egg. He left the berries out...lol...where my previous dogs ate all kinds of fruits, this one is not interested unless its meat...lol

For now, I give him two meals kibble and the evening meal raw. This is until I find good deals on meat and visit my local butcher to see if he got something. I am excited to feed him raw. I get giddy, because he is the only one in the house that will eat anything that I give him without arguing and wining...lol

wormed

Aug 10, 2011
Hate to nag, but last question regarding a raw diet (which I'm definitely doing when I get my guy), what sort of treats do you use for training purposes? Any specific brand that are nice small sizes and can be given for training treat purposes? Or do you use fruits/veggies? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

EDIT: Still will take suggestions but visited my local organic/holistic pet food store and they had some options. Still curious on what treats you all use for training though!

Last edited:

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Hate to nag, but last question regarding a raw diet (which I'm definitely doing when I get my guy), what sort of treats do you use for training purposes? Any specific brand that are nice small sizes and can be given for training treat purposes? Or do you use fruits/veggies? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

EDIT: Still will take suggestions but visited my local organic/holistic pet food store and they had some options. Still curious on what treats you all use for training though!

I have always used either cheese or meat cut up in small pieces. This way the food REALLY smells to them. This is just me. Maybe other people will chime in too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You can usually get the chicken cheaper if you buy the whole chicken. And you don't have to get the choice cuts of beef - you can go with the cheaper cuts like brisket and silverside and there's also oxtail. There's also lamb necks that are cheaper or if you buy an entire leg of lamb that is cheaper too. Even lamb shanks is cheaper too. Pork shoulder is cheaper.Then pay attention to the grocery weekly circulars that they mail out and see what's on sale that week.This is funny - I usually do this for me, not my dogs. LOL! I'm actually currently researching buying half of a grass-fed cow to feed the family instead of all these hormone injected, antibiotics-treated, corn-fed cow we get at the grocery.
:offtopic: [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]..do you have a trader joes or henrys or one of the many markets that sell only grass fed..no hormone meat? In California..ALL the poultry is required to be hormone free..so that's everywhere..but pretty easy to find free range beef too! We don't eat much beef..but make sure all our meat is hormone free..antibiotic free..many ..many years ago..30 plus..my pediatrician warned me about milk with hormones in it..he was adamant that it was causing little girls to start their menses earlier and earlier..compound that with all the other added stuff and he was certainly correct!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
for cheap red meat you could feed ox/beef heart,they are so big ,2 does annie all week as her first protein,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I make my own treats for Stig. I dehydrate beef lung and he goes crazy for them. It saved me a lot of money too by getting my own dehydrator and making stuff at home. You can pretty much dehydrate any meat and it's good. But I'd stay away from the liver as it's still too rich when dehydrated. Too much liver is bad for any furkids.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
:offtopic: @anatess ..do you have a trader joes or henrys or one of the many markets that sell only grass fed..no hormone meat? In California..ALL the poultry is required to be hormone free..so that's everywhere..but pretty easy to find free range beef too! We don't eat much beef..but make sure all our meat is hormone free..antibiotic free..many ..many years ago..30 plus..my pediatrician warned me about milk with hormones in it..he was adamant that it was causing little girls to start their menses earlier and earlier..compound that with all the other added stuff and he was certainly correct!

We don't have Trader Joe's but we do have Fresh Market and Whole Foods. The problem is they are super expensive. I go to a local butcher close to me. He usually has "freezer package special" which is different cuts of meat packaged together for a low price - usually $99. It's still quite a bit more than the regular grocery though. So, I'm thinking if I buy an entire half-a-cow from the organic farm, I can get it even cheaper. Then yeah, it might even come out that I'll have plenty of cuts that is good for the dogs.

I'm soooo worried right now. Bullie's face was pink today and she was itching her armpit. I am probably headed to the vet soon....

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Treats...you can give them any meat that is frozen! I like chicken gizzards as they don't get slimy when they thaw. lol.

tjzoolu

Mar 19, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully & Dime
Well, I've been feeding raw for about a 1 1/2 months now, and while my boys LOVE it, we've had a lot of problems! They would eat so fast they would choke on it until I realized that if I took the skin off, they didn't throw it back up. My oldest has for some reason started having explosive diarrhea, & I mean EXPLOSIVE!! Their dry spots have not cleared up, & at first I thought their "eye boogers" were clearing up, but they are no longer doing that either. I've about given up, quite honestly. I would think this far into it, they shouldn't still be having the poops! I might try a few more bones for him, as I had quit giving them to him as he quite eating for awhile and I thought maybe he had a bone stuck. As soon as he gets over these loose stools, maybe I'll try again. I'm glad so many of you have had great success with it, as I really do feel this is the best for them. Good luck!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Well, I've been feeding raw for about a 1 1/2 months now, and while my boys LOVE it, we've had a lot of problems! They would eat so fast they would choke on it until I realized that if I took the skin off, they didn't throw it back up. My oldest has for some reason started having explosive diarrhea, & I mean EXPLOSIVE!! Their dry spots have not cleared up, & at first I thought their "eye boogers" were clearing up, but they are no longer doing that either. I've about given up, quite honestly. I would think this far into it, they shouldn't still be having the poops! I might try a few more bones for him, as I had quit giving them to him as he quite eating for awhile and I thought maybe he had a bone stuck. As soon as he gets over these loose stools, maybe I'll try again. I'm glad so many of you have had great success with it, as I really do feel this is the best for them. Good luck!

May I ask what meat you're giving them, how much and how often? Also, how old are your bullies? Diarrhea is usually a sign of either too much food, too little bone, enhanced meat and various other things. I'm confident us 'seasoned amateurs' can figure out how to make raw work for your furkids, but we need more info.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
as savemejeebus has said try more bone for the runs,remember it can take a dog a while to transition ,some do it overnight some it can take months,cut all fat off for now until the runs stop then reintroduce the fat a little at a time,eye boogers will come and go for a while but they will stop.it can take months for kibble to leave a dogs system,dont give up now you have started be patient it will come good i promise,karen

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.