Raw food !!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thank you [MENTION=2714]HrsDiva[/MENTION] I started a blog here for anyone interested in following the saga. lol Anyone that would like to see, it is under the "blog" link at the top.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thanks [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] I bet the meat dept. LOVED you! I mean they made lots of money but those guys who had to label it all and put it out werent so happy. :lmao: I am still curious about it all. I know the boys would love raw but not sure. Especially with having to have them house sat while we go on vacation every so often. Would be hard to expect others to feed them raw and do it right.

Kiwikiki

Jul 21, 2011
Hi I have a 6 yr old English bulldog Ginger who has really bad allergies. I just start raw 4 days ago I'm using Stella and chewy right know until I get comfortable doing this. I also have a puppy on it part raw kibble. I'm scared to see how the detox will be I heard they get worst before better. Is that true? Also do you mix kibble with yours I heard that's not good either. I'm a little confused there's so much info out there. I just wanted a little guides if you have any. Thank you
E

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2839]Kiwikiki[/MENTION] I haven't seen them get "worse" from detox. Actually, quite the opposite so far. I do not mix kibble because IMO, it is pointless and not helping them adjust to the diet. It seems from my info that just making a cold turkey (pardon the pun) switch works better. I choose to follow the frankenprey model with no grinding involved. Just large, whole pieces that they have to chew. There is a group on Yahoo groups called raw feeding and it is FULL of tons of info. I also joined a group called Raw Chat that is good as well. Raw Feeding is really for prey or frankenprey and they don't advocate adding fruits/veggies or anything other than salmon oil really. BUT you can take their advice and do what you feel comfortable with. Raw Chat has more that feed alternatives such as pre-made raw and people who choose to add in things other than meat.

Really, just read, read, read and make your own decisions about what you think is best for your best friend!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
some say that they dont go through detox but others say they do,sometimes the dogs shed more,gunky eyes,runny poops,but it doesnt last long if a dog has health problems you may not see a difference for a few months ,patience is the key,i know ive had to have loads of it ,still battling annies contact allergy at the moment shes shedding so much i think she will soon be bald lol,shes been on raw 4 months now so its very early days,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
@karenben...any progress on those allergy issues? Is she still itching and getting a rash?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I am dying to get my husband on board with this. !!! I must start this ASAP
If it weren't for this site, I may have never had the nerve
Hubby just approved, we are all on board. I have bought my last bag of FROMM
Going shopping for a freezer tomorrow at LOWES
whohoo

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
whohoo

Thats Awesome!!...Remember to give him enough bone.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
whohoo

Good for you! Just get on some groups (I recommended a few) and learn all you can :). The other raw feeders here are a lot more knowledgeable than I am and they all answered questions for me so I bet if you ask, they will offer great advice! I have a small half deep freeze and I love it. It is for doggie food only.

Just wanted to say, that I think everyone should feed the way that is best for them and their family :). If kibble is what you feel comfortable with then great...if raw then great :).

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi I have a 6 yr old English bulldog Ginger who has really bad allergies. I just start raw 4 days ago I'm using Stella and chewy right know until I get comfortable doing this. I also have a puppy on it part raw kibble. I'm scared to see how the detox will be I heard they get worst before better. Is that true? Also do you mix kibble with yours I heard that's not good either. I'm a little confused there's so much info out there. I just wanted a little guides if you have any. Thank you
E

I've heard it's not good to mix kibble and raw together mainly because they digest differently. As GatorRay mentioned, it's best to start cold turkey, just remember to feed enough bone at first so your pup won't get cannon butt. :) Also, how old is your pup? Those at a very young age is recommended to be fed 4 times a day, the total daily amount being 2% of his or her adult weight. The yahoo rawfeeding group is fantastic that even the seasoned vets respond regularly and provide input.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
whohoo

Fantastic to hear. Remember to research research research! And to ask questions if you have any, and there's no such thing as a dumb one, trust me! :p

We got our freezer from Lowes too. We price matched and got the 10% difference, resulting in getting at least $100 off. :)

If you have questions let us know. I know I had so many both before and after Stig started on it.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
@karenben...any progress on those allergy issues? Is she still itching and getting a rash?
well i have to admit im baffled at the moment,for 2 days very little itching ,then pow off the scale,no sneezing no tear staining,just lots of fur loss,i keep her off grass no difference,i keep her off the carpets no difference,i know its not food related as she gets nothing but raw,its all very strange ,yesterday she did not have to wear the tshirt all day ,it was great to see her body lol,this morning very itchy!!!,ive started her on supplements to strengthen the immune system,they are,dandelion,zinc,primrose oil,flaxseed,echenacea,extra virgin cocanut oil,she already takes acidophilus ,these all strengthen the immune system but obviously will take a while if they are going to help her,after observing annies behaviour ,ive been feeling like dianne fossey with the apes lol,im of the opinion that she is obsessed with scratching!,she is a very obsessive natured dog and when she obsesses she gets stressed,now i purchased a pheremone plug incalled adaptil ,its been plugged in 3 days and i have to say she is so much calmer,sleeps more ,and not as obsessed with shadows,people,balls,i dont know if annie will ever be free of the scratching but all i do now is maintain her to prevent secondary infection,the only other option is hormones she is due her second season soon so if its not resolved bt then i will have her spayed or at least hormone tested,karen

BulldogBurger

Jun 28, 2011
Hi all -

I am 100% new to all of this. Single male who doesn't even like to cook for himself. Its usually subway sandwiches and protein shakes for me all day. I have been known to cook up some chicken breast though and veggies. Based on what all of you have described, im considering hiring a personal Chef for Baxter and moving into a cardboard box instead of my condo!!

Do any of you have any quick, starter techniques so this little puppy (only 8 weeks) will be on "Raw" from the very beginning of his life? Something simple for me? Like give me one or two very easy suggestions on how to get him going on raw that doesnt include massive preparation? I would really appreciate it.

Lastly two side questions (1) What does give him lots of bone mean? They eat the actual bone? (2) One guy said no chicken because chicken equals bad gas .. but the rest of you all said chicken ... which is best?

Thanks

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if your going to feed an 8 week old pup then just start with chicken wings ,depending on his size 1 or 2 should be enough for 1 meal plus his bone content,you can also give him chicken breast for his other 2 meals ,i take it hes on 3 per day?,some dogs handle bone very well some get constipated,if he gets constipated then miss out a couple of boney meals,all dogs take differently to raw feeding,he may get the squits dont panick just up the bone content,only stick with chicken for a few weeks until he is eating well,then you can start with other protiens and bones,supervise his bone eating if he is a bigger pup then you can give him chicken carcass uncooked,nevr give him cooked bones or knuckle bones,shin bones they are too hard and may damage his teeth,remember he may not gain weight as quick as a kibble fed dog,kibble has hidden fillers for bulking up,your feeding all natural foods but he will be very healthy,his water consumption will go down dont worry its normal and he will poop less that too is normal,just take your time and research raw feeding,it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it,good luck ,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
@bulldogburger Karen gave some great advice. If you know an approximate weight that he will grow to be using his parents' weight, then feed approximately 2 to 3% of that to your pup. You should feed FOUR times a day (no matter what you feed, even kibble) at this age. Around 4 months you can drop to 3 times, at 6 months drop to two, and 1 year you can take him down to one meal a day. If you start feeding and notice the dog looks like it might be losing a bit of weight, DONT PANIC, just up the food a bit. It will take time to figure out how to feed. My Gypsy (7 months now!) lost a bit so I moved her portion up to 3% of her projected adult weight instead of 2%.

Bone means bone. Chicken bones are the best as they are soft and already in his food. Also, chicken seems to be the easiest for them to get used to while they are adjusting unless he has already been on raw from the breeder, then ask the breeder for some advice and what his current diet is. BE SURE TO MAKE SURE THE CHICKEN IS NOT ENHANCED! Meaning, that it has not been injected with broth, etc. An easy way to tell is look at the sodium content on the package. If it more than 100mg it is probably enhanced and might give him some tummy troubles. As Annie said, you can do wings, breasts, and legs for a pup of that size. If you notice his poops are runny, then add a little more bone, if they are too hard or he gets constipated, then take some bone out and feed more meat. You should keep the pieces larger at first so that he will need to gnaw and chew it. It will help satisfy that puppy chewing urge too :). Never give any cooked bones. They can splinter and they are choking hazards. Raw bones are softer and safe. Also, never feed bones from the large animals such as beef, elk, moose, deer, etc. After a few weeks you can add in organs, starting with liver...just a sliver...at any rate, I will PM you a great group where you can research to your heart's content and ask questions. You can ask questions here as well as everyone here that raw feeds is fantastic! The other up side is once you know what to buy and can introduce more things, you can hit all of the good sales and "manager's specials" at the store and it may end up being cheaper than kibble in the long run.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.