Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Raw food !!!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raw food !!!

GOOD FOR YOU AND YOUR BULLYS,you wont look back and you will actually feel that you are doing something for your dog it just doesnt feel the same when we dish out dry,tastless ,odd shaped kibble,this is what we should be feeding our dogs in my opinion anyway,its cheap,simple,tasty,and so good for them lol,like i said tho annie still has issues i will keep raw feeding,karen

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@cali~jenn, it was a bit of a pain to start but I was on my way to the feed store to get our kibble and stopped at the grocery and they had bone-in chicken breasts and thighs on sale for 98cents a lb and I just said forget it and bought them out. The people in the checkout thought I was nuts and the checkout lady actually giggled when I put all that chicken on the counter. lol. It took me about an hour to weigh and bag it and then in the freezer it went! As far as feeding time, Lucy likes to take hers to the yard so she can be alone and the other two eat theirs in the kitchen and I just put a little bleach in water and do a quick mop after. It really isn't that complicated . You DO have to watch them closely, especially if your pup is a gulper (which one of mine is) to make sure they don't try to swallow a huge piece. I have been holding one end of Gypsy's piece so that she has to learn to actually CHEW it. I have a big box of rubber gloves that I bought at CVS that I usually use for cutting hot peppers to keep the oil off of my hands (it burns me!) so I just wear those .

At any rate, it has felt good to give it to them. Even my picky basset LOVES to eat it. We have had some interesting poops but I figure it will take some time for it to regulate and I am not freaking out about it. Anyway, enough of my ramblings and I apologize to @HrsDiva for hijacking her thread!!!

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    @cali~jenn, it was a bit of a pain to start but I was on my way to the feed store to get our kibble and stopped at the grocery and they had bone-in chicken breasts and thighs on sale for 98cents a lb and I just said forget it and bought them out. The people in the checkout thought I was nuts and the checkout lady actually giggled when I put all that chicken on the counter. lol. It took me about an hour to weigh and bag it and then in the freezer it went! As far as feeding time, Lucy likes to take hers to the yard so she can be alone and the other two eat theirs in the kitchen and I just put a little bleach in water and do a quick mop after. It really isn't that complicated . You DO have to watch them closely, especially if your pup is a gulper (which one of mine is) to make sure they don't try to swallow a huge piece. I have been holding one end of Gypsy's piece so that she has to learn to actually CHEW it. I have a big box of rubber gloves that I bought at CVS that I usually use for cutting hot peppers to keep the oil off of my hands (it burns me!) so I just wear those .

At any rate, it has felt good to give it to them. Even my picky basset LOVES to eat it. We have had some interesting poops but I figure it will take some time for it to regulate and I am not freaking out about it. Anyway, enough of my ramblings and I apologize to @HrsDiva for hijacking her thread!!!
    Oh no problem I love hearing the stories i may start with a little patties here and there... My main thing is to get her. Cleansed from the junk and im doing a mix of 2/1 of old food to new food with a little new wet food....
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thank you @HrsDiva I started a blog here for anyone interested in following the saga. lol Anyone that would like to see, it is under the "blog" link at the top.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks @GatorRay I bet the meat dept. LOVED you! I mean they made lots of money but those guys who had to label it all and put it out werent so happy. I am still curious about it all. I know the boys would love raw but not sure. Especially with having to have them house sat while we go on vacation every so often. Would be hard to expect others to feed them raw and do it right.

Hi I have a 6 yr old English bulldog Ginger who has really bad allergies. I just start raw 4 days ago I'm using Stella and chewy right know until I get comfortable doing this. I also have a puppy on it part raw kibble. I'm scared to see how the detox will be I heard they get worst before better. Is that true? Also do you mix kibble with yours I heard that's not good either. I'm a little confused there's so much info out there. I just wanted a little guides if you have any. Thank you
    E

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Kiwikiki I haven't seen them get "worse" from detox. Actually, quite the opposite so far. I do not mix kibble because IMO, it is pointless and not helping them adjust to the diet. It seems from my info that just making a cold turkey (pardon the pun) switch works better. I choose to follow the frankenprey model with no grinding involved. Just large, whole pieces that they have to chew. There is a group on Yahoo groups called raw feeding and it is FULL of tons of info. I also joined a group called Raw Chat that is good as well. Raw Feeding is really for prey or frankenprey and they don't advocate adding fruits/veggies or anything other than salmon oil really. BUT you can take their advice and do what you feel comfortable with. Raw Chat has more that feed alternatives such as pre-made raw and people who choose to add in things other than meat.

Really, just read, read, read and make your own decisions about what you think is best for your best friend!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

some say that they dont go through detox but others say they do,sometimes the dogs shed more,gunky eyes,runny poops,but it doesnt last long if a dog has health problems you may not see a difference for a few months ,patience is the key,i know ive had to have loads of it ,still battling annies contact allergy at the moment shes shedding so much i think she will soon be bald lol,shes been on raw 4 months now so its very early days,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@karenben...any progress on those allergy issues? Is she still itching and getting a rash?

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I am dying to get my husband on board with this. !!! I must start this ASAP
    If it weren't for this site, I may have never had the nerve
    Hubby just approved, we are all on board. I have bought my last bag of FROMM
    Going shopping for a freezer tomorrow at LOWES
    whohoo
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Bruno's Daddy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    whohoo
    Thats Awesome!!...Remember to give him enough bone.
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1104_1.gif

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    whohoo
    Good for you! Just get on some groups (I recommended a few) and learn all you can . The other raw feeders here are a lot more knowledgeable than I am and they all answered questions for me so I bet if you ask, they will offer great advice! I have a small half deep freeze and I love it. It is for doggie food only.

Just wanted to say, that I think everyone should feed the way that is best for them and their family . If kibble is what you feel comfortable with then great...if raw then great .

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Remove Ads