Raw feeding body smell?

Irios68

Feb 23, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Laila and Charlie
I started feeding my Bulldogs raw food that I purchase at a local pet market. Itā€™s been a week and noticed a horrible smell that their body is throwing out. Smells rotten. What am I doing wrong? Should I just buy raw meat human grade for them? And Iā€™ve noticed raw meat non human grade is very expensive. Any recommendations? My dogs are allergic to potatoes, chicken, and peas. Thank you in advance.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I started feeding my Bulldogs raw food that I purchase at a local pet market. Itā€™s been a week and noticed a horrible smell that their body is throwing out. Smells rotten. What am I doing wrong? Should I just buy raw meat human grade for them? And Iā€™ve noticed raw meat non human grade is very expensive. Any recommendations? My dogs are allergic to potatoes, chicken, and peas. Thank you in advance.

Hi there n WELCOME!!!

A lot of us feeds our dogs raw n I know my 2 donā€™t have a rotten body smell either. Human grade is NOT going to be balanced out like the ones you buy made for dogs. Itā€™s a ratio of meat, organs, blood, bone, muscles etc. your dog might be adjusting to the food as raw is loaded with natural probiotics. His gut flora is probably cleaning up inside.

What brand are you buying?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
what Helsonwheels said ;) just what i thought too,,,a sort of detox just a cleansing thing

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... detoxing was my thought too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
My dog Nova has a pungent odor, but I feed both my dogs the same amount of commercial raw. The brand is small batch. Nova is barley roughly 6 months, Iā€™m sure itā€™ll get better eventually. Max has no smell

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My dog Nova has a pungent odor, but I feed both my dogs the same amount of commercial raw. The brand is small batch. Nova is barley roughly 6 months, Iā€™m sure itā€™ll get better eventually. Max has no smell

Small Batch is in my rotation. What proteins are you feeding? Does Nova have yeasty paws or ears causing the smell?

Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Small Batch is in my rotation. What proteins are you feeding? Does Nova have yeasty paws or ears causing the smell?

I go thru beef, lamb and duck in no particular order but I have no clue whatā€™s causing the odor or where it is coming from. I even thought it could be the anal sacs needing to be expressed but we had a professional bath and the smell went away for several days and came back

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I go thru beef, lamb and duck in no particular order but I have no clue whatā€™s causing the odor or where it is coming from. I even thought it could be the anal sacs needing to be expressed but we had a professional bath and the smell went away for several days and came back

Is it a Frito smell at all? Are the paws a rusty colored red?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Unless he rolled in stinky stuff... the most common causes for odor is yeast infections, skin infections, anal gland infections. I suggest a vet visit.

I've been feeding my dog Prey-Model Raw - from the human meat shop - for 10 years.

Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
It is a frito smell, I have seen no cysts. Only clean paws but she is a blue tri and has blue/tan marks on her paws, so I cannot really see red or anything indicating irritated paws

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It is a frito smell, I have seen no cysts. Only clean paws but she is a blue tri and has blue/tan marks on her paws, so I cannot really see red or anything indicating irritated paws

Frito smell equals yeast. My Frenchie canā€™t do lamb or duck even with raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online