Should i start raw diet

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Would a raw diet help allergies? My dog gets pink in between toes with the occasional blister, head shake. If so, is there a good website to buy in bulk?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Would a raw diet help allergies? My dog gets pink in between toes with the occasional blister, head shake. If so, is there a good website to buy in bulk?

Definitely yes you will eliminate a lot of allergies. The blisters between the toes are called indigital cyst. Very common on web feet dogs. Even though theyā€™re not swimmers. Iā€™m in Canada so I will let the others answer you where to buy. Also would be good what area you live. Regarding the head shaking, most probably itā€™s a yeasty ear. What is he eating now? Everyone thatā€™s feeding raw so far are all satisfied. I feed both mind a raw diet. Both are doing great. Have you looked into the ear if itā€™s black or basically guk, grimed etc?
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Raw can definitely help but it wonā€™t ā€œcureā€ environmental allergies. Iā€™m a member of a local raw food co-op but I also order online from Raw Fed K9. They have quite a few proteins, decent pricing and free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I live on long island new york. The ears aren't gunky just the one ear is pink. We just put him on royal canin hydrolyzed protein and just give him apples and sweet potatoes for the past month. His itchiness i would say is about 75% gone but its still present. If the paw flares up ill do a salt soak or an anti fungal shampoo soak.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I live on long island new york. The ears aren't gunky just the one ear is pink. We just put him on royal canin hydrolyzed protein and just give him apples and sweet potatoes for the past month. His itchiness i would say is about 75% gone but its still present. If the paw flares up ill do a salt soak or an anti fungal shampoo soak.

Ohhhh we are no fans of royal canin whatsoever. All grains. Sadly youā€™re going to make it worse down the road feeding him that or science hill or anything that has to do with purina. Simply go raw. Now for the ear, get a higher quality lavender essential oil like DoTerra or Young Living, 2 drops on a cotton ball n swipe the inner ear. Get a new cotton ball n repeat. DO NOT put oil directly into the ear drum. Simply clean above the canal. Oil seeps on itā€™s own. Do it for a week then once a month as maintenance.
[MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] lives in FL. Might be able to help you where to find bulk raw food... if not I would go with what [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] mentioned above. But definitely get him off RC.. at least go with Acana Duck till you find your raw in bulk. :)

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/07/17/feather-meal.aspx

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/what-royal-canin-reps-are-selling-to-vets/

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Ok ill try raw fed k9...hes about 48-50lbs...did i see 2% of his bodyweight per day? Or per meal (2x a day)

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Also, any soecific kind of protein bulldogs do best on? Chixken, beef, pork etc

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
2% of 50 pounds would be 1 pound a day, so feed him half a pound twice daily to start and see if he gains or loses weight. I would start with duck for a month, then add one protein a month. Rabbit is a lower allergy protein too. Other ones you'll have to try. Chicken is the most common one to cause allergies.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™d say 2-3% depending on how active he is. Start with 2% and if he starts losing weight, give more (assuming heā€™s not overweight). You might have to play around around bit to find the right amount.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Great advice above. Also make sure you rotate proteins. I prefer doing one at a time for a month then switch to another protein. Itā€™s easier to monitor IF he develops an allergy towards that specific protein. Both my dogs eat chicken as they were introduced chicken as pups. But start that later so his paws n ears are cleared up. Very rare if fed raw theyā€™ll get allergies. But you still can have that ā€œoneā€ . You can also make your own. Really not complicated. Also good to know if you run out or orders slow etc... My raw is only meat, organs n no fruits veggies etc. I rather control myself the portion of fiber. At supper time I always have veggies in MY meals. While Iā€™m preparing my human meals they both get the veggies Iā€™ll be eating in that meal. I do add to their meals EVOO about every second day n thereā€™s also hemp added in their food. Hereā€™s an example of the ratio thatā€™s already in their meals. Btw tripe has the most probiotics which all dogs needs. You also can buy it frozen at your pet shop. Itā€™s the Green smelly one. You semi thaw it n cut up in pieces as a snack. I re-freeze it n have them handy. Be aware it smells. You get use to it...eventually... lol

6ED24603-41CA-4F77-9664-B325C9C6F5B2.jpeg. F7D89F08-811E-4402-A494-1A89E97D4002.jpeg

https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

https://www.darwinspet.com/probiotics-prebiotics-dog/

https://hare-today.com/raw_food_ratio_calculator

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Thanks for the input...im looking at the raw fed k9...bit pricey..with the health insurance i pay a month i gotta think about the raw if thats the going rate

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the input...im looking at the raw fed k9...bit pricey..with the health insurance i pay a month i gotta think about the raw if thats the going rate

I live in PA and but from a local source in the Pocono area.
I rotate between duck, turkey, rabbit and tuna.

https://healthierpets.net/store/

You will pay more for raw, but you will be at the vet for less reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Would i be able to buy in bulk from my butcher? I feel like i could get more for the money that way? Is raw dog food didferent from raw people food? Sorry if that question is stupid

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Would i be able to buy in bulk from my butcher? I feel like i could get more for the money that way? Is raw dog food didferent from raw people food? Sorry if that question is stupid

Yes itā€™s different. Dogs need bone and organ meat. You can do it yourself but you canā€™t give just meat otherwise itā€™s not balanced. The ratio is 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ.

OP
E

Epc2188

Jun 27, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Gotcha ok...this bulk place i looked up ā€œbulkrawdogfoodā€ Minimum order is 500 lbs looks like it would come out to bout 900 bucks.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.