helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm a programmer. Filipino. English is my 3rd language so some people say I sound funny.

Iā€™m Italian n I get people asking me if Iā€™m French n yet Iā€™ll have some say if Iā€™m Italian. What I meant by intriguing is because of your knowledge in food n how youā€™re doing it n the fasting. Iā€™m in the food industry n I donā€™t often come across people like yourself knowing how to take proper steps like you mentioned. Just like in humans fasting is good to reset your body. That being said, not everyone believes in giving your body a break. But thatā€™s me.. I think different :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Iā€™m Italian n I get people asking me if Iā€™m French n yet Iā€™ll have some say if Iā€™m Italian. What I meant by intriguing is because of your knowledge in food n how youā€™re doing it n the fasting. Iā€™m in the food industry n I donā€™t often come across people like yourself knowing how to take proper steps like you mentioned. Just like in humans fasting is good to reset your body. That being said, not everyone believes in giving your body a break. But thatā€™s me.. I think different :)

Ahh.

I'm old enough to have adult kids. My mother grew up with dogs and so I grew up with dogs too. There was a time when my mother had 13 dogs at one time. My mother is old school - kibbles are only for the rich people in the Philippines. She fed her dogs scraps - basically, how it was in our house is, we raised chickens, pigs, goats, we take the entire carcass and slice pieces for the humans, the rest goes to the dogs. We were big time Catholics, so Friday was fish day - dogs ate fish too - and first Sunday of the month was fasting - so dogs fasted too.

I migrated to the USA when I was 21 and had my first American dog - a Lhasa Apso. The vet gave me Science Diet saying it's the best food for dogs, etc. etc. I felt I was rich, feeding my dogs kibble and all. Had tons problems with yeast infections and tear stains and crusty teeth, etc., that our Filipino dogs never had, but then I've never had a Lhasa Apso so I thought it was just the breed. Anyway, I've had several dogs since then but it wasn't until I got Bullie almost 10 years ago when I realized I am having too many issues with kibble so I went back to my mother's tried-and-true method... found out about the Prey-Model Raw proportions which my mom never bothered with - she basically just gave dogs what we had, so sometimes it is big meals, sometimes it is tiny meals, no schedule... she feeds them when she's good and ready. The Prey Model gave me a guideline that makes it easier for me and gave me that "peace of mind" feeling. Been doing this for almost 10 years and I've learned a lot along the way.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] you know your mother was doing it the right way. Many moons ago thatā€™s how everyone fed their dogs. Scrap from whatever was left from supper. Back then we really did have dogs living till 20-30yrs old. Longest living dog was almost 30 but someone did mention 43. That idk..so definitely proof is in the pudding as we say, itā€™s what you feed your dog. Iā€™ll never forget when I was younger we had a Newfoundland Dog named Brutus n my older sister had the brother Max. Siblings. My sister feed Max kibbles n my mom leftovers. Brutus was 2x the size of Max, beautiful black shiny coat I mean really shiny not cause heā€™s been washed, never was washed, I swear women would kill to have pitch black shinny hair like his coat. Brutus ate spaghetti, meatballs, EVOO, steaks, fresh goats milk, veggies, fish, fresh eggs, etc... oh btw my parents had a farm. So whatever was for supper he had the same. Never was fat either just a simply healthy NFL dog.. My sisters Max had hip issues, kidney issues, ears infection n eventually passed away around 6... So you see, why when some says, you are what you eat... well thatā€™s 200% correct. Thank you for the post brought back good memories :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.