johnian

Dec 9, 2019
England UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Roni
We have a 6mth Old English Bulldog which we've had from 9wks old and she's been fed a raw diet for the last 5mth. She seems in perfect health and has a good coat and lots of energy, regularly walks 3/4 miles but not everyday.
We have recently looked at a different raw food supplier as our regular supplier was having supply issues due to currant Virus situation. After some research we have noted that some suppliers recommend supplementing a raw diet with some fruit and veg and we've been worried that we might be depriving our baby of some important vitamins etc.
Does a raw diet not provide all necessary nutrients/vitamins etc..? should we add some fruit/veg and how much.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice, John Crossling.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I purchase already made raw patties, but I'm going to tag some members who can advice you...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have a 6mth Old English Bulldog which we've had from 9wks old and she's been fed a raw diet for the last 5mth. She seems in perfect health and has a good coat and lots of energy, regularly walks 3/4 miles but not everyday.
We have recently looked at a different raw food supplier as our regular supplier was having supply issues due to currant Virus situation. After some research we have noted that some suppliers recommend supplementing a raw diet with some fruit and veg and we've been worried that we might be depriving our baby of some important vitamins etc.
Does a raw diet not provide all necessary nutrients/vitamins etc..? should we add some fruit/veg and how much.

I few members will order with fruits and veggies. I personally go only meat. Basically what happens is a supplier will add fruits veggies as a filler as itā€™s cheaper for their wallet. Nothing is wrong but I rather have my dogs on 100% meat, organs, bones, blood n other n give them veggies or fruits myself. I like to control what the eat. Fruits or veggies would be like a snack but they donā€™t eat it often. My human suppers is always full of veggies so thatā€™s when Iā€™ll give a few pieces of peppers or asparagus etc to the dogs. But not definitely 98% is all meat. Do rotate your proteins. Mine do eat chicken as they were use to it as pups.. mix it up :)

Now if you are really stuck get the mix one with fruits, give less each meal n add like a boiled egg or sardines etc as a snack or to their meals. You can simply add protein other ways. Just remember itā€™s extra food intake so cut down on the main meals..

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I rotate between commercial raw which is balanced and has fruits and veggies and prey model which is just the meat/organ/bone. However Iā€™ve noticed that when Louie gets just prey model, heā€™ll get crumbly dry poop so Iā€™ve been adding in Green Juju which is just greens blend and that helps. So depends on your dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I rotate between commercial raw which is balanced and has fruits and veggies and prey model which is just the meat/organ/bone. However Iā€™ve noticed that when Louie gets just prey model, heā€™ll get crumbly dry poop so Iā€™ve been adding in Green Juju which is just greens blend and that helps. So depends on your dog. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do get crumbly poop if you mix like youā€™re doing. Iā€™ve noticed idi only give prey model eventually itā€™s comes out as nuggets not crumbly.

You can also add Chia which is high in protein n fiber. Add one flat teaspoon per meal n youā€™ll solve your issue. Also flax seeds. :)

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major

With my research if you feed 80/10/10 then you dont need extra supplements, you can if you want. Me i give him extra viggies/low sugar fruit. Chicken feet etc bc hes older and need lil more glucosamine

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
They do get crumbly poop if you mix like youā€™re doing. Iā€™ve noticed idi only give prey model eventually itā€™s comes out as nuggets not crumbly.

You can also add Chia which is high in protein n fiber. Add one flat teaspoon per meal n youā€™ll solve your issue. Also flax seeds. :)

Crumbly dry poop is usually from the bone. When Louie gets commercial raw his poop is good. When he gets the prey model, he gets the crumbles. When I add in the greens to the prey model, poop is fine again. Jax is fine on the prey model without the added greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Crumbly dry poop is usually from the bone. When Louie gets commercial raw his poop is good. When he gets the prey model, he gets the crumbles. When I add in the greens to the prey model, poop is fine again. Jax is fine on the prey model without the added greens from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Nyala has same issue but not Jake...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
With my research if you feed 80/10/10 then you dont need extra supplements, you can if you want. Me i give him extra viggies/low sugar fruit. Chicken feet etc bc hes older and need lil more glucosamine

If you buy plain 80% muscle meat/10% bone /10% organ meat technically you don't have to supplement with fruits and vegetables if you believe in the PREY model. But most raw food suppliers you buy from still say you need to add fish oil to balance out the omega 3's, and sea kelp to complete the trace minerals and vitamins. And if you believe in the BARF model, you will also need to supplement with vegetables and maybe fruits. If you want the most bang for your buck, get plain 80/10/10 like [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] suggested, and add your own fruits and vegetables since that's easier than supplementing with meat. You can give about 10% less of the frozen raw of the basic 80/10/10 compared to giving the complete formula, since it contains about 10% less muscle meat, as long as you make up the extra 10% calories with fruits and vegetables.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My bulldog has been on PMR only for 8 years, no supplements. The oldest is now 12 years old and will be 13 in August. No issues.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.