Need help with 1st time feeding raw!

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Im buying 80/10/10 raw frozen meat, but before i feed him i got some questions. Should i mix in some vegetables for him when i feed him. Should i thaw out the meat or give it to him frozen.
I was thinking give him fresh raw meat once a week (chicken meat, feet/neck..etc) is that ok?
And what else i need to do? Thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few member for you.

I feed raw, but buy it premade. I feed it thawed and it does have fruits/veggies in the mix with some oats.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You don’t necessarily need to mix in veggies but you can and you might need to. I also get an 80/10/10 premade mix and Louie recently started getting dry and crumbly poop which is an indication of too much bone. So I bought some Green Juju to mix in. He also gets some commercial brands that have veggies in them and he’s fine. My Frenchie is fine on the 80/10/10 so it will just depend on your dog. You’ll be able to tell a lot by their poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Thank you, the one im buying it says fatty raw thats 80/10/10

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
20200406_161619.jpg

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
I just bought this 30 lbs frozenbeef fatty raw 80/10/10. I'm letting it thaw out outside, then break it down n put them in a ziplock bag . My question is does it causes bacteria while being thaw outside? Thanks

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thank you, the one im buying it says fatty raw thats 80/10/10

Just keep an eye on poop. If poop becomes dry and crumbly, you’ll want to add veggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I just bought this 30 lbs frozenbeef fatty raw 80/10/10. I'm letting it thaw out outside, then break it down n put them in a ziplock bag . My question is does it causes bacteria while being thaw outside? Thanks

You should only let it slightly thaw in the fridge, just enough so you can cut it and then refreeze it. Or if it doesn't fit in your fridge , cut it frozen with a power saw. Don't let it thaw out outside.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
You should only let it slightly thaw in the fridge, just enough so you can cut it and then refreeze it. Or if it doesn't fit in your fridge , cut it frozen with a power saw. Don't let it thaw out outside.

Thank you, thats what i did20200406_194615.jpg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You can serve it every day of week, hopefully rotate between 3 different proteins. It's a good idea to give him some vegetables too, preferably steamed, if you don't buy the mix that includes vegetables you can give steamed green beans, because it's filling, but I also give canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ) . Other vegetables are good too, just not onions. I like to thaw out individual servings that I put in zip lock bags, 24 hr in advance in the fridge . It can be served frozen too but my dog tends to throw up raw food so I think it helps a little to serve it thawed.It's always a good idea to thaw slowly at fridge temperature. I also like to microwave a little bit of water and add that to the raw food in her bowl to warm it up a bit and give her a little extra moisture in her diet and it also mixes up the other stuff I add ( organic turmeric, hempseed oil or flax seed oil, fish oil, Actiflex 4000, sea kelp ). The sea kelp is like a multivitamin if you only serve straight 80/10/10 meat. eg. https://www.amazon.com/Organic-KELP-Powder-America-SOURCED/dp/B00SZ46URU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im buying 80/10/10 raw frozen meat, but before i feed him i got some questions. Should i mix in some vegetables for him when i feed him. Should i thaw out the meat or give it to him frozen.
I was thinking give him fresh raw meat once a week (chicken meat, feet/neck..etc) is that ok?
And what else i need to do? Thank you!

You can give it frozen as I personally find it safer only “IF” there would be a bacteria or something else. Bare in mind raw dogs has “less” bacteria than the human’s meat. My brindle Nyala as she gets older she does like frozen. Like a texture thing for her. But raw or frozen is fine. I would do only one day thawed out n that’s it. I wouldn’t leave raw dog food 2-3 days in a fridge. I work in the food industry n inspected on regular basis.

Fruits n veggies I like to have control of it. I find adding fruits n veggies already in the raw , to me it’s like a filler n companies make more money by doing that. Anyway I don’t my my dogs eating too much of plant base products by more protein on the meat side.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Bad idea letting it thaw outside as yes can cause bacteria. Meat needs to be thawed out in a fridge. That being said, why don’t you order your meat in one pounders? If you have an electric band saw cut them up frozen yourself.

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
Bad idea letting it thaw outside as yes can cause bacteria. Meat needs to be thawed out in a fridge. That being said, why don’t you order your meat in one pounders? If you have an electric band saw cut them up frozen yourself.
This is my first time doing raw , the shop nearest me have a 30 lbs frozen block of beef meat so I just went and got it. But I just found some online site that sell small patties for about $4 a lb. That's without shipping. So if I do that,it prolly be over $220 a month to feed my pup

OP
xskyzx

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
You can serve it every day of week, hopefully rotate between 3 different proteins. It's a good idea to give him some vegetables too, preferably steamed, if you don't buy the mix that includes vegetables you can give steamed green beans, because it's filling, but I also give canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ) . Other vegetables are good too, just not onions. I like to thaw out individual servings that I put in zip lock bags, 24 hr in advance in the fridge . It can be served frozen too but my dog tends to throw up raw food so I think it helps a little to serve it thawed.It's always a good idea to thaw slowly at fridge temperature. I also like to microwave a little bit of water and add that to the raw food in her bowl to warm it up a bit and give her a little extra moisture in her diet and it also mixes up the other stuff I add ( organic turmeric, hempseed oil or flax seed oil, fish oil, Actiflex 4000, sea kelp ). The sea kelp is like a multivitamin if you only serve straight 80/10/10 meat. eg. https://www.amazon.com/Organic-KELP-Powder-America-SOURCED/dp/B00SZ46URU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

How often should I switch protein? And should I switch to one protein or should I mix 2 or 3 different protein in one meal plans. Thanks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.