Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

  1. #1
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,536
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1555

    Default Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    Just read this article on the resistant bacteria in the raw food we feed our dogs. I'm committed to raw feeding because of my dog's allergies, but it's interesting that one of the studies mentioned recommended:
    In view of the antibiotic-resistance problem, dogs who are being treated with antimicrobials should not be fed raw diets; nor should dogs living in homes with infants, elderly people or immunocompromised individuals because these subgroups are more vulnerable to infection.

    https://thesciencedog.com/2019/05/15/the-raw-deal/

    Basically it's recommended to buy foods from companies that use high-pressure pasturization (HPP) or other effective methods to kill bacteria in their commercial raw food products in these situations.

  2. Likes cefe13 liked this post
  3. #2
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,536
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1555

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    Some example of high pressure processed raw foods include Primal Pet Foods and Stella & Chewys and Healthy Pet Products

  4. #3
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,536
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1555

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    Might be dangerous for us to eat pork these days even if you cook it
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/h...ss&partner=rss

  5. #4
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,979
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)
    5120

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    It seems like a lot of the commercial brands these days are or have already switched to HPP because of all the recalls raw recently had.

  6. #5
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,014
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    10923

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    I’m going to tell you something that’s happening in Canada n in the USA in the food industry. If I eat any kind of fish/ seafood and been doing this for decades, it’s going to be “only” wild caught. No farmed whatever. In Canada as you probably know, we’re not allowed to use any antibiotics, growth hormones, steroids etc to any of our farm animals. But the problem that is the other countries that’s uses all these chemicals in their countries entering in ours. Check the link below that’s one example how Canada turns a blind eye as we say. The antibiotics that’s in shrimps from China, India, Vietnam etc his horrifying. Shovels of antibiotics thrown on the shrimps “before” packing them up n selling it as commercial to example Costco, Walmart etc. we as humans even pet food are now “antibiotics resistant”. Again this goes for pet food. Our so call super bug that’s out there, now our antibiotics can’t even kill it. It’s up to us to simply stop buying from countries that has no regulations. Nothing is wrong with raw if you’re cleaning up after yourself. Bleach kills everything. And I’m on about the real bleach you use in your whites.

    https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episo...-for-superbugs

  7. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #6
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,536
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1555

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    I’m going to tell you something that’s happening in Canada n in the USA in the food industry. If I eat any kind of fish/ seafood and been doing this for decades, it’s going to be “only” wild caught. No farmed whatever. In Canada as you probably know, we’re not allowed to use any antibiotics, growth hormones, steroids etc to any of our farm animals. But the problem that is the other countries that’s uses all these chemicals in their countries entering in ours. Check the link below that’s one example how Canada turns a blind eye as we say. The antibiotics that’s in shrimps from China, India, Vietnam etc his horrifying. Shovels of antibiotics thrown on the shrimps “before” packing them up n selling it as commercial to example Costco, Walmart etc. we as humans even pet food are now “antibiotics resistant”. Again this goes for pet food. Our so call super bug that’s out there, now our antibiotics can’t even kill it. It’s up to us to simply stop buying from countries that has no regulations. Nothing is wrong with raw if you’re cleaning up after yourself. Bleach kills everything. And I’m on about the real bleach you use in your whites.

    https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episo...-for-superbugs
    I never eat raw seafood and have started limiting my consumption of even cooked seafood because of the horrible conditions that these farmed crustaceans are grown in.

    It's crazy how the farmers give antibiotics to the animals to make them grow faster. I can understand treating illnesses, but not for growth. They even spray antibiotics on food crops because bacteria can also infect plants.

  9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  10. #7
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,536
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1555

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    I use locally sourced frozen raw dog food which doesn't come HPP processed, but if I had someone in the house who was severely immunocompromised ( eg. transplant patient ) I would switch to HPP processed or dehydrated raw. I would also switch my dog to HPP processed or dehydrated raw if she was on an immune suppressant such apoquel or prednisone or cyclosporin.

  11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  12. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,014
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    10923

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I never eat raw seafood and have started limiting my consumption of even cooked seafood because of the horrible conditions that these farmed crustaceans are grown in.

    It's crazy how the farmers give antibiotics to the animals to make them grow faster. I can understand treating illnesses, but not for growth. They even spray antibiotics on food crops because bacteria can also infect plants.
    I don’t eat raw.. I cook everything that comes out of the ocean n land. Aside from veggies n fruits.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #9
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,847
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    3042

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    This is not true ...."To date, most of the purported advantages of feeding raw are based on personal stories and anecdotes and do not have support from controlled feeding trials."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYgYbDhuE8

  15. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
  16. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    9,014
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Newman, (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    10923

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    This is not true ...."To date, most of the purported advantages of feeding raw are based on personal stories and anecdotes and do not have support from controlled feeding trials."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYgYbDhuE8

    Very true.

  17. Likes Dollys Owner liked this post
  18. #11
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,536
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1555

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    This is not true ...."To date, most of the purported advantages of feeding raw are based on personal stories and anecdotes and do not have support from controlled feeding trials."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYgYbDhuE8
    I would say the Finnish raw food studies in the video are much more detailed than a controlled feeding trial. AAFCO guidelines for a controlled feeding trial means 8 dogs have to be given the dog food for 26 weeks and at the end they have to appear healthy, not have lost more than 15% of their body weight, and their hemoglobin, packed cell volume,serum alkaline phosphatase,and albumin have to be normal. The research study in the video measured more expensive markers for inflammation in the body. It's ridiculous to even assume you need a feeding trial at this point because so many of us have had our dogs on either PREY model (80% Muscle meat,10% Bone,10% Organs (5% liver)) or BARF model (~70% muscle meat,10% bone,10% organs (liver being half),10% fruits, veggies and/or dairy) for years now.

  19. #12
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,847
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    3042

    Default Re: Interesting article on raw feeding- why precautions needed

    I have pretty much lost all confidence in so called scientific studies and scientist. "Scientists" are lead and controlled by money and their own prejudices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •