Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

  1. #1
    Drool Catcher Shahster's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)
    73

    Default Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Hi everyone!!

    Iíve been feeding raw for 6/7 years now. I love it! Iíve never had an issue with it (other than the odd time off too much bone) and neither do my vets. However, Iíll always run into people who lecture about the bacteria in raw and how itís not as beneficial as it seems

    Most recently was the doctors at the emergency animal hospital where my dog is getting his tail amputated. They wouldnít let me bring in dinner for him- thatís their policy and I wonít argue with them. But one of the doctors lectured me and said itís not worth the risk and itís only a fad diet.

    How do you deal with it and what do you say back? I try not to argue so I just smile and nod haha




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,912
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15152

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahster View Post
    Hi everyone!!

    Iíve been feeding raw for 6/7 years now. I love it! Iíve never had an issue with it (other than the odd time off too much bone) and neither do my vets. However, Iíll always run into people who lecture about the bacteria in raw and how itís not as beneficial as it seems

    Most recently was the doctors at the emergency animal hospital where my dog is getting his tail amputated. They wouldnít let me bring in dinner for him- thatís their policy and I wonít argue with them. But one of the doctors lectured me and said itís not worth the risk and itís only a fad diet.

    How do you deal with it and what do you say back? I try not to argue so I just smile and nod haha




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thank them for their option and tell them to respect mine


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. Likes Shahster, RiiSi liked this post
  4. #3
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,644
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    10328

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I thank them for their option and tell them to respect mine
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You being nice here?

  5. Likes oscarmayer, 2BullyMama, Shahster liked this post
  6. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,644
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    10328

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahster View Post
    Hi everyone!!

    I’ve been feeding raw for 6/7 years now. I love it! I’ve never had an issue with it (other than the odd time off too much bone) and neither do my vets. However, I’ll always run into people who lecture about the bacteria in raw and how it’s not as beneficial as it seems

    Most recently was the doctors at the emergency animal hospital where my dog is getting his tail amputated. They wouldn’t let me bring in dinner for him- that’s their policy and I won’t argue with them. But one of the doctors lectured me and said it’s not worth the risk and it’s only a fad diet.

    How do you deal with it and what do you say back? I try not to argue so I just smile and nod haha
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being in the food industry, I can guarantee you that “frozen” raw meat has waaaaay less recalls than the human ones. Vets that has negative opinions on raw food especially when their in the field of “animals “ they definitely should know in the wild there is no kibbles. Wild will eat rotten carcasses or meat that’s been sitting there for weeks. I swear some humans they forget about all the lettuce, strawberries, chicken nuggets orrrr..... going to eat anywhere that has the name “buffet”. Like stop pinpointing nonsense issues n start looking at your own human food we consume.

    Btw that vet would be in my black book

  7. Likes oscarmayer, Shahster, RiiSi liked this post
  8. #5
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,883
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    6052

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahster View Post

    How do you deal with it...
    I would have matter-of-faculty stated,

    “If Vet Schools spent more time teaching nutrition we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I suggest you extract Hill’s from your booty and stick something raw in there. Call me if you have any questions. Have a great day!”

    Or you could do what you did...and chuckle as you turn and walk away.

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  9. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels, Shahster, RiiSi liked this post
  10. #6
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,912
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15152

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    You being nice here?
    There is actually a vet at our vet practice that tried to talk me out of it... I was shocked because she is so Ďall natural Ď for herself and familyó she told me to at least cook it... I did laugh while asking Ďare you being serious?í She replied, absolutely... I then preceded to tell her that since being on raw.. all of Lambeau issues are gone, except environmental allergies, go check his chart and youíll see neither boy is there except for laser sessions due to vertebrae fusion. She has never approached me about it again. Our vet, practice owner, is all for rawó said it is the best you can do, but there are insurance reasons vets do not talk about it... usual stuff, people are not smart then blame someone else for what happens... law suit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  11. Likes oscarmayer, helsonwheels, Shahster liked this post
  12. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    8,644
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)
    10328

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    There is actually a vet at our vet practice that tried to talk me out of it... I was shocked because she is so ‘all natural ‘ for herself and family— she told me to at least cook it... I did laugh while asking ‘are you being serious?’ She replied, absolutely... I then preceded to tell her that since being on raw.. all of Lambeau issues are gone, except environmental allergies, go check his chart and you’ll see neither boy is there except for laser sessions due to vertebrae fusion. She has never approached me about it again. Our vet, practice owner, is all for raw— said it is the best you can do, but there are insurance reasons vets do not talk about it... usual stuff, people are not smart then blame someone else for what happens... law suit. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Since you’re going less often, they see less of your wallet. Here in Canada you cannot sue left n right for anything or everything that’s under the sun as we say like in the US. Recently our government wants to put a law that you cannot sue the government. Sure show how they screw up n needs a non suing law to protect their as*.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama, oscarmayer liked this post
  14. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    43,912
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    15152

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Since youíre going less often, they see less of your wallet. Here in Canada you cannot sue left n right for anything or everything thatís under the sun as we say like in the US. Recently our government wants to put a law that you cannot sue the government. Sure show how they screw up n needs a non suing law to protect their as*.
    Our vet, practice owner, has no issue with it.. he loves the boys are so healthy


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  15. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  16. #9
    Drool Catcher Shahster's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)
    73

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Being in the food industry, I can guarantee you that ďfrozenĒ raw meat has waaaaay less recalls than the human ones. Vets that has negative opinions on raw food especially when their in the field of ďanimals ď they definitely should know in the wild there is no kibbles. Wild will eat rotten carcasses or meat thatís been sitting there for weeks. I swear some humans they forget about all the lettuce, strawberries, chicken nuggets orrrr..... going to eat anywhere that has the name ďbuffetĒ. Like stop pinpointing nonsense issues n start looking at your own human food we consume.

    Btw that vet would be in my black book
    The only reason I needed to see that vet was because of the tail amputation, his incision opened up (I could put 2 fingers in it) and was bleeding. Other wise Iíd be looking elsewhere. Thankfully, my regular vet has no objections to raw

    I also try to tell people about the recalls with kibble and they usually default to bacteria with raw meat. Sigh. Oh well! Theyíre not going to sway me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  18. #10
    Drool Catcher Shahster's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    224
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis & Cyrus
    Likes (Received)
    73

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    There is actually a vet at our vet practice that tried to talk me out of it... I was shocked because she is so Ďall natural Ď for herself and familyó she told me to at least cook it... I did laugh while asking Ďare you being serious?í She replied, absolutely... I then preceded to tell her that since being on raw.. all of Lambeau issues are gone, except environmental allergies, go check his chart and youíll see neither boy is there except for laser sessions due to vertebrae fusion. She has never approached me about it again. Our vet, practice owner, is all for rawó said it is the best you can do, but there are insurance reasons vets do not talk about it... usual stuff, people are not smart then blame someone else for what happens... law suit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup! When I first learned about raw it changed my boy so much!!! Now with my current pup, heís only been seeing the vet once a year or for this pesky tail.

    The doctor today actually said ďcan you believe some people will actually feed duck necks to their dogs?! They canít digest that!Ē Little did she know, Cy had a duck neck for dinner hehehe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. Likes oscarmayer, helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  20. #11
    Rescue Volunteer Lalaloopsie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,528
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)
    2534

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Raw meat is in general less dangerous for dogs than for people because dogs are carnivores and have much shorter gastrointestinal tract than omnivores and herbivores. Therefore, if even some salmonella or other bacteria is in raw/frozen meat, it will not have enough time to develop bad effects in dogs tummy as it will come out as poop before it can do so. Also meat used to make raw and frozen raw food has usually shorter time between being harvested and being frozen/packed, because, obviously, when you defrost and serve food you will smell of food isn’t fresh. On the contrary, meat used for dry food production containing bad bacteria stays longer before being transformed into kibble, because it is basically “cremated” at high temperatures to make kibble, so if it is even not so fresh, you cannot smell it after processing and adding aromatic additives. Because of this, sometimes bacteria have enough time to produce a lot of toxins in meat before processing and some toxins cannot be broken even with high temperatures, so this is how dogs get sick with dry food.
    Raw meat requires cautious handling from people’s side, but in my opinion there is no comparison between natural food and industrial food. My position is : Let’s make vets to eat only food from boxes and cans!

  21. Likes oscarmayer, 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
  22. #12
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    oscarmayer's Avatar
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    2,883
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    6052

    Default Re: Dealing with Anti-Raw people

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalaloopsie View Post
    ...dogs are carnivores and have much shorter gastrointestinal tract...
    Exactly!

    Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

  23. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •