Dealing with Anti-Raw people

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hi everyone!!

Iā€™ve been feeding raw for 6/7 years now. I love it! Iā€™ve never had an issue with it (other than the odd time off too much bone) and neither do my vets. However, Iā€™ll always run into people who lecture about the bacteria in raw and how itā€™s not as beneficial as it seems [emoji849]

Most recently was the doctors at the emergency animal hospital where my dog is getting his tail amputated. They wouldnā€™t let me bring in dinner for him- thatā€™s their policy and I wonā€™t argue with them. But one of the doctors lectured me and said itā€™s not worth the risk and itā€™s only a fad diet.

How do you deal with it and what do you say back? I try not to argue so I just smile and nod haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone!!

Iā€™ve been feeding raw for 6/7 years now. I love it! Iā€™ve never had an issue with it (other than the odd time off too much bone) and neither do my vets. However, Iā€™ll always run into people who lecture about the bacteria in raw and how itā€™s not as beneficial as it seems [emoji849]

Most recently was the doctors at the emergency animal hospital where my dog is getting his tail amputated. They wouldnā€™t let me bring in dinner for him- thatā€™s their policy and I wonā€™t argue with them. But one of the doctors lectured me and said itā€™s not worth the risk and itā€™s only a fad diet.

How do you deal with it and what do you say back? I try not to argue so I just smile and nod haha

I thank them for their option and tell them to respect mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone!!

Being in the food industry, I can guarantee you that ā€œfrozenā€ raw meat has waaaaay less recalls than the human ones. Vets that has negative opinions on raw food especially when their in the field of ā€œanimals ā€œ they definitely should know in the wild there is no kibbles. Wild will eat rotten carcasses or meat thatā€™s been sitting there for weeks. I swear some humans they forget about all the lettuce, strawberries, chicken nuggets orrrr..... going to eat anywhere that has the name ā€œbuffetā€. Like stop pinpointing nonsense issues n start looking at your own human food we consume.

Btw that vet would be in my black book :D

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
How do you deal with it...
I would have matter-of-faculty stated,

ā€œIf Vet Schools spent more time teaching nutrition we wouldnā€™t be having this conversation. I suggest you extract Hillā€™s from your booty and stick something raw in there. Call me if you have any questions. Have a great day!ā€

Or you could do what you did...and chuckle as you turn and walk away.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You being nice here? :evil:

There is actually a vet at our vet practice that tried to talk me out of it... I was shocked because she is so ā€˜all natural ā€˜ for herself and familyā€” she told me to at least cook it... I did laugh while asking ā€˜are you being serious?ā€™ She replied, absolutely... I then preceded to tell her that since being on raw.. all of Lambeau issues are gone, except environmental allergies, go check his chart and youā€™ll see neither boy is there except for laser sessions due to vertebrae fusion. She has never approached me about it again. Our vet, practice owner, is all for rawā€” said it is the best you can do, but there are insurance reasons vets do not talk about it... usual stuff, people are not smart then blame someone else for what happens... law suit

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
There is actually a vet at our vet practice that tried to talk me out of it... I was shocked because she is so ā€˜all natural ā€˜ for herself and familyā€” she told me to at least cook it... I did laugh while asking ā€˜are you being serious?ā€™ She replied, absolutely... I then preceded to tell her that since being on raw.. all of Lambeau issues are gone, except environmental allergies, go check his chart and youā€™ll see neither boy is there except for laser sessions due to vertebrae fusion. She has never approached me about it again. Our vet, practice owner, is all for rawā€” said it is the best you can do, but there are insurance reasons vets do not talk about it... usual stuff, people are not smart then blame someone else for what happens... law suit. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since youā€™re going less often, they see less of your wallet. Here in Canada you cannot sue left n right for anything or everything thatā€™s under the sun as we say like in the US. Recently our government wants to put a law that you cannot sue the government. Sure show how they screw up n needs a non suing law to protect their as*.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Since youā€™re going less often, they see less of your wallet. Here in Canada you cannot sue left n right for anything or everything thatā€™s under the sun as we say like in the US. Recently our government wants to put a law that you cannot sue the government. Sure show how they screw up n needs a non suing law to protect their as*.

Our vet, practice owner, has no issue with it.. he loves the boys are so healthy

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Being in the food industry, I can guarantee you that ā€œfrozenā€ raw meat has waaaaay less recalls than the human ones. Vets that has negative opinions on raw food especially when their in the field of ā€œanimals ā€œ they definitely should know in the wild there is no kibbles. Wild will eat rotten carcasses or meat thatā€™s been sitting there for weeks. I swear some humans they forget about all the lettuce, strawberries, chicken nuggets orrrr..... going to eat anywhere that has the name ā€œbuffetā€. Like stop pinpointing nonsense issues n start looking at your own human food we consume.

Btw that vet would be in my black book :D

The only reason I needed to see that vet was because of the tail amputation, his incision opened up (I could put 2 fingers in it) and was bleeding. Other wise Iā€™d be looking elsewhere. Thankfully, my regular vet has no objections to raw :)

I also try to tell people about the recalls with kibble and they usually default to bacteria with raw meat. Sigh. Oh well! Theyā€™re not going to sway me.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
There is actually a vet at our vet practice that tried to talk me out of it... I was shocked because she is so ā€˜all natural ā€˜ for herself and familyā€” she told me to at least cook it... I did laugh while asking ā€˜are you being serious?ā€™ She replied, absolutely... I then preceded to tell her that since being on raw.. all of Lambeau issues are gone, except environmental allergies, go check his chart and youā€™ll see neither boy is there except for laser sessions due to vertebrae fusion. She has never approached me about it again. Our vet, practice owner, is all for rawā€” said it is the best you can do, but there are insurance reasons vets do not talk about it... usual stuff, people are not smart then blame someone else for what happens... law suit

Yup! When I first learned about raw it changed my boy so much!!! Now with my current pup, heā€™s only been seeing the vet once a year or for this pesky tail.

The doctor today actually said ā€œcan you believe some people will actually feed duck necks to their dogs?! They canā€™t digest that!ā€ Little did she know, Cy had a duck neck for dinner hehehe.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Raw meat is in general less dangerous for dogs than for people because dogs are carnivores and have much shorter gastrointestinal tract than omnivores and herbivores. Therefore, if even some salmonella or other bacteria is in raw/frozen meat, it will not have enough time to develop bad effects in dogs tummy as it will come out as poop before it can do so. Also meat used to make raw and frozen raw food has usually shorter time between being harvested and being frozen/packed, because, obviously, when you defrost and serve food you will smell of food isnā€™t fresh. On the contrary, meat used for dry food production containing bad bacteria stays longer before being transformed into kibble, because it is basically ā€œcrematedā€ at high temperatures to make kibble, so if it is even not so fresh, you cannot smell it after processing and adding aromatic additives. Because of this, sometimes bacteria have enough time to produce a lot of toxins in meat before processing and some toxins cannot be broken even with high temperatures, so this is how dogs get sick with dry food.
Raw meat requires cautious handling from peopleā€™s side, but in my opinion there is no comparison between natural food and industrial food. My position is : Letā€™s make vets to eat only food from boxes and cans!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.