SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Hi Guys... Happy Thursday!
As a few of you may know, we just welcomed Cooper (8 weeks) to our clan this week. WE LOVE HIM!! My 4 year old Gunner... not so much, but that is a different story for a different day.

Cooper's breeder feeds all of her dogs and puppies raw. She has her own raw dog food business in my state. Cooper came home with three (3) two (2) pound containers of the raw mix and I bought twelve (12) more two (2) pound containers to carry on the raw feeding and to see if I like it.

By the time we go home from picking Cooper up, it was lunch time. Out come the first container of food and... BAM! I was knocked over by the smell... like wanted to throw up (almost did) by the smell. Being a complete newbie to raw feeding, I emailed the breeder and asked if it was the tripe in the food that was making it smell this bad and she said yes... Tripe is very pungent (nice way of putting it).

I got to know... is this what all raw feeding smells like?!? I have to be honest, I'm not sure if I can stomach the smell of this food (pun intended :D).

I want to feed the best possible food, but THAT SMELL!!!! I know that raw food is great for dogs... I have done research online and followed along with many of the raw posts here.

On a side note, Gunner is on Grandma Lucy's Pureformance Rabbit formula and is doing great. We were having some problems with allergies and side flank alopecia, but it has cleared up nicely. We give him Claritin each day (especially in the warmer months) as well as Movoflex Joint Supplement and Prebiotic/Probiotic supplement. I will say this... GUNNER POOPS ALOT. I'm assuming its due to the food. That said, I do take him out a lot as well. I work from home and it is easy for me to pop out four or five times throughout the day.

I'd like to know other raw feeders experiences...
Does all raw smell this bad?
Are there other raw brands out there that I should try?
Would putting both Gunner and Cooper on the Grandma Lucy's be a good runner up to the raw food?

This newbie is looking for your thoughts and guidance. MANY THANKS!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I feed it frozen as itā€™s much safer IF there would be a bacteria in raw. Extremely rare if fed raw as it dies. Itā€™s your tripe that smells. Both mine have tripe on regular basis. Itā€™s the BEST probiotic you can give any dog. I would freeze his meals n give it to him like that. No need for extra supplements if fed raw. If Cooper is raised n feed like so, keep him on it. Look at him, look how beautiful, chunky, really bully like he looks!!! Donā€™t change for now. Just freeze it n youā€™ll avoid the smell! Also great for his teeth to chew on frozen. Also just a thought, maybe you can eventually change Gunner to what Cooper is fed on. Youā€™ll avoid a lot of allergies issues too. Just a thought:)

OP
SMammers816

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Thanks for the reply... A few more questions.

The food comes in a frozen block, what is the best way to break it up? Thaw it out, divide it in 1/2 cup portions that I need and then refreeze? I really don't want to handle this stuff more then I have to. LOL
And is the dog supposed to just naw on the frozen block?

Here is the list of ingredients in the food... I got the premium mix that includes whole chicken, beef, lung, kidney, liver, tripe, salmon, pork and veggie blend.
Leafy Greens: kale, spinach, radish tops and lettuce
Veggies: celery, carrot and peppers
Vitamin E: raw sunflower seeds
Magnesium: raw sesame seeds and almonds
Antioxidants: dandelion and wild blueberries
Kelp, spirulina, burdock root, parsley
Raw pumpkin seeds and alfalfa greens
Allergy Fighter: Nettles
Digestive Enzyme Blend
Joints: green lipped muscle and MSM
Fatty Acids: raw hemp seeds
Eye Health: Bilberry
Urinary Health: whole cranberries
Flea & Tick Fighter: garlic, rosemary and brewer's yeast
Just a bit of oregano, rosehip, anise, milk thistle
Powdered goat milk, fennel, ginger, cumin and sage

Is this a good mix? Would you feed your dog this food?

THANK YOU!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I buy mine in half pound block at 50lbs is one lb per dog per day plus their treats which is frozen tripe or herring. But I buy either ultimate turkey or turkey mix with beef. Ultimate means with organs n bones. No veggies nor fruits. I give it as treats.

Semi thaw it n cut you portion needed. You can always call your breeder to ask for exact portion they feed him. You will get use to the order after a while. At first I too almost gagged lol. Your blend is perfect!!! Just keep an eye out as you have different proteins n can be hard to know IF any allergies down the road. What ever you do, allergies is when often you feed the same thing over n over and then that day you give something new, bodyā€™s receptors block as itā€™s something strange thatā€™s in the body. So why mix every 4-5 months with something different. Then go back to original food. Repeat.. ask tour breeder since they do the food if the can freeze it in smaller portions. I pay $10 more for the cut. Whatā€™s $10 and avoid the semi thawing n smell??? Yes worth it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I feed raw as well, get it from a place in the Poconos .. made to order in one pound bags , frozen and shipped to my home.

Similar ingredients as yours. I thaw each bag in fridge and feed the serving thawed... Iā€™d be concerned about thawing and then refreezing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Tripe STINKS! I don't feed it as much anymore because I can't get bison tripe locally anymore and too much beef causes the itchies. I always just used gloves when handling and just dealt with the smell.

I mostly buy commercial raw that are already in patties or chubs except the rabbit I buy is ground in 3 pound packages. I make enough food for 2 weeks so 2 days before I am about to make up some more, I take enough out and put in the fridge to thaw a bit so I can portion everything out into containers and then I put the containers in the freezer and pull out however many I need per day.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the reply... A few more questions.

The food comes in a frozen block, what is the best way to break it up? Thaw it out, divide it in 1/2 cup portions that I need and then refreeze? I really don't want to handle this stuff more then I have to. LOL
And is the dog supposed to just naw on the frozen block?

Here is the list of ingredients in the food... I got the premium mix that includes whole chicken, beef, lung, kidney, liver, tripe, salmon, pork and veggie blend.
Leafy Greens: kale, spinach, radish tops and lettuce
Veggies: celery, carrot and peppers
Vitamin E: raw sunflower seeds
Magnesium: raw sesame seeds and almonds
Antioxidants: dandelion and wild blueberries
Kelp, spirulina, burdock root, parsley
Raw pumpkin seeds and alfalfa greens
Allergy Fighter: Nettles
Digestive Enzyme Blend
Joints: green lipped muscle and MSM
Fatty Acids: raw hemp seeds
Eye Health: Bilberry
Urinary Health: whole cranberries
Flea & Tick Fighter: garlic, rosemary and brewer's yeast
Just a bit of oregano, rosehip, anise, milk thistle
Powdered goat milk, fennel, ginger, cumin and sage

Is this a good mix? Would you feed your dog this food?

THANK YOU!!!

Our food does not have tripe in it so it actually smells kind of good.... has a lot of the same ingredients that are in yours. We also use raw goats milk, I buy it at Pet Value or Perk Valley pet Eatery in Trappe on Main St.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I feed raw as well, get it from a place in the Poconos .. made to order in one pound bags , frozen and shipped to my home.

Similar ingredients as yours. I thaw each bag in fridge and feed the serving thawed... Iā€™d be concerned about thawing and then refreezing. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can semi thaw a bit till a good sharp knife can go through it. So long itā€™s thawing in the fridge. My fault forgot to mention that :(

OP
SMammers816

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
Our food does not have tripe in it so it actually smells kind of good.... has a lot of the same ingredients that are in yours. We also use raw goats milk, I buy it at Pet Value or Perk Valley pet Eatery in Trappe on Main St.

Thank you... Iā€™m looking into the company you get your food from... Iā€™m going to call them to see if they do custom mixes. I need something without potato or sweet potato.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you... Iā€™m looking into the company you get your food from... Iā€™m going to call them to see if they do custom mixes. I need something without potato or sweet potato.

They will do custom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online