jdt11207

Jan 10, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
King
hi, i have a 2 year old english bulldog . i just started his barf diet 2 days ago . everything is fine , iā€™m just looking for pointers and to make sure iā€™m doing it right . this is his stool the second day of the diet. and i would also like some help to make sure i have the nutritions ok and recipes would help also . thank you for your help .

Attachments

• F8709C08-C802-4B98-B17A-BE15A8C7EC74.jpeg
    F8709C08-C802-4B98-B17A-BE15A8C7EC74.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 251
  • 864B5716-EAA4-4D39-9D88-338944D77637.png
    864B5716-EAA4-4D39-9D88-338944D77637.png
    500.4 KB · Views: 188

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
hi, i have a 2 year old english bulldog . i just started his barf diet 2 days ago . everything is fine , iā€™m just looking for pointers and to make sure iā€™m doing it right . this is his stool the second day of the diet. and i would also like some help to make sure i have the nutritions ok and recipes would help also . thank you for your help .

Depending on what his previous diet was, stool is normal through the transition as itā€™s only 2days. Keep an eye on it as if he only eats raw stools become like little hard nuggets. He will drink less as raw is full of moisture so donā€™t panic. I feed from frozen so ā€œifā€ there is any ā€œparasitesā€ it would be killed. Fresh raw is good to but you do run that risk. I work in the food industry and I can guarantee you the biggest issue with cross-contamination is usually cause of the human error.

A Starter Guide ā€” Raw Fed Dogs

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I prefer to buy ground up frozen raw from a commercial supplier, that way I don't have to worry about making sure my dog gets a balanced meal. As helsonwheels mentioned, if you do feed whole raw pieces, make sure they were frozen at some point before serving to kill any parasites, although this doesn't kill bacteria. You can serve it frozen or thaw it out in fridge before serving, eg. I put my pieces in fridge at least 24 hr before serving, which is much safer than thawing at room temperature. I buy the frozen ground in bulk, then partially thaw it for a few hours in the fridge, cut it up, then refreeze the portions in ziplock bags.

A lot of bulldogs are allergic to chicken, so I'd stay away from that and try other proteins like duck, beef, pork, rabbit, and turkey. Smaller game like rabbit,duck and turkey are more digestible, so are good ones to start with. If your dog ends up getting constipated, or has too loose stools, you can add canned pumpkin, not the one for pie filling ( about a tablespoon ).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I prefer to buy ground up frozen raw from a commercial supplier, that way I don't have to worry about making sure my dog gets a balanced meal. As helsonwheels mentioned, if you do feed whole raw pieces, make sure they were frozen at some point before serving to kill any parasites, although this doesn't kill bacteria. You can serve it frozen or thaw it out in fridge before serving, eg. I put my pieces in fridge at least 24 hr before serving, which is much safer than thawing at room temperature. I buy the frozen ground in bulk, then partially thaw it for a few hours in the fridge, cut it up, then refreeze the portions in ziplock bags.

A lot of bulldogs are allergic to chicken, so I'd stay away from that and try other proteins like duck, beef, pork, rabbit, and turkey. Smaller game like rabbit,duck and turkey are more digestible, so are good ones to start with. If your dog ends up getting constipated, or has too loose stools, you can add canned pumpkin, not the one for pie filling ( about a tablespoon ).

I typed bacteria??!?!?! Duhhhh me. It will renders bacteria inactivity but once thawed out the bacteria is active.... Yes yes yes should be parasites!! Man sorry about that..Iā€™ll go fix it....:rundog::rundog::rundog:

OP
J

jdt11207

Jan 10, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
King
yes this morning his poop was more solid and bark brown but had fragments of food still but i have read that is normal . i did actually
freeze his food prior to feeding and thawed out in fridge over night for that same fear because i was a chef for about 3 years lol

OP
J

jdt11207

Jan 10, 2019
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
King
i wanted to see how he handled the bone before i gave him ground meat because of the benefits to the teeth and he had been good so far he chews excessively to enjoy it i think . but if you have any recipes or combinations you like to do because i would like to get off of chicken because of the common allergy . i originally am trying the new diet because of his allergies with kibble

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online