Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Quick update. DO NOT feed your dog Fire and Kettle bone broth. I did not look closely enough at the ingredients and they use onions and other spices dogs should not eat in their broth. I gave Lola two servings of about 4 ounces of the broth about 12 hours apart and she has had two bouts of horrible diarrhea. One last night around 8 pm and one around 4 am this morning and this morning there was blood in it. Talking to the vet today.

[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION].

I donā€™t see anything wrong with these ingredients. If there are other ingredients please post.
https://www.kettleandfire.com/products/grass-fed-beef-bone-broth

1FF9FD7E-C7B4-4ABB-86C6-2EECFFFCBCF8.png

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Those look like the same ingredients listed on the box. Take a look at the attached photo. The onion, black pepper corn, and bay leaf are the ingredients that would concern me. It could be a coincidence but the broth is the only thing that changed with her food. I guess it could be I just gave her too much too quickly but I wouldnā€™t have expected blood in her stool if that were the case.

The only other thing that changed right now is the holistic vet had me ween her off the Apoquel and her last dose was last Saturday. But Iā€™ve taken her off the Apoquel in the past without her having digestive upset so I would be surprised if it was from that.

2d5f96634adf4e716d08c56cfb51b53c.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Those look like the same ingredients listed on the box. Take a look at the attached photo. The onion, black pepper corn, and bay leaf are the ingredients that would concern me. It could be a coincidence but the broth is the only thing that changed with her food. The only other thing that changed right now is the holistic vet had me ween her off the Apoquel and her last dose was last Saturday. But Iā€™ve taken her off the Apoquel in the past without her having digestive upset so I would be surprised if it was from that.

2d5f96634adf4e716d08c56cfb51b53c.jpg

Only thing would be the onions. Depending on how much they use. Onions is like grapes for a dog. But to be honest with you, all my dogs Iā€™ve ever owned had broth with onions, carrots, celery n herbs. I do remove the onions as I only keep the broth. But thats me. Make your own and avoid the onions. :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Like I said it is the only thing I have changed with her diet. Maybe I just gave her too much but the onion content does worry me, and I would not expect blood in her stool from general digestive upset. I canā€™t believe I did not look closer at the ingredients before I gave it to her. Normally Iā€™m very diligent about that. Had I paid more attention to the ingredients i probably never would have given it to her seeing it has onion in it.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I guess I never filled you in on Lola's first visit with the new holistic vet on March 29th. She did a full exam and gave her a chiropractic adjustment. We decided to ween her off the Apoquel and then start homeopathic treatment. Her last dose of Apoquel was last Saturday. I just spoke with the vet again and we went over Lola's current symptoms and she is going to work up a homeopathic treatment tomorrow for us to start on. I'll keep you posted as we go through the treatment.

As for the bone broth she thinks that I probably just gave her too much and should have started her on a very small amount. She said that she actually feeds her dogs onions on occasion and that it takes a lot of onion to cause issues. She said she doubts that the onions used in the Kettle & Fire was the cause of the diarrhea. We decided to wait a few weeks and then we will try the bone broth again starting with a very small amount and gradually increase it. I'm not sure why I thought giving her that much (4 oz twice) would be a good idea. I should have known better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I guess I never filled you in on Lola's first visit with the new holistic vet on March 29th. She did a full exam and gave her a chiropractic adjustment. We decided to ween her off the Apoquel and then start homeopathic treatment. Her last dose of Apoquel was last Saturday. I just spoke with the vet again and we went over Lola's current symptoms and she is going to work up a homeopathic treatment tomorrow for us to start on. I'll keep you posted as we go through the treatment.

As for the bone broth she thinks that I probably just gave her too much and should have started her on a very small amount. She said that she actually feeds her dogs onions on occasion and that it takes a lot of onion to cause issues. She said she doubts that the onions used in the Kettle & Fire broth was probably not the cause of the diarrhea. We decided to wait a few weeks and then we will try the bone broth again starting with a very small amount and gradually increase it. I'm not sure why I thought giving her that much (4 oz twice) would be a good idea. I should have known better.

Iā€™m liking your new vet... keep us posted!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I literally just bought some on Sunday but haven't given it to them yet. And then I saw this post and am like ummmmmmm...so now I don't know if I should try it or not.

Why I sent it to you...

But like I said Iā€™ve given onions even my GS had grapes. Didnā€™t die from them.

At the end of the day, go with your gut... and/or keep it for your soups.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Why I sent it to you...

But like I said Iā€™ve given onions even my GS had grapes. Didnā€™t die from them.

At the end of the day, go with your gut... and/or keep it for your soups.

I wonā€™t eat it lol!! Iā€™ll probably try it and start out small amount. But Iā€™ll do it over a weekend when Iā€™m home just in case thereā€™s explosions.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I wonā€™t eat it lol!! Iā€™ll probably try it and start out small amount. But Iā€™ll do it over a weekend when Iā€™m home just in case thereā€™s explosions.

A yes my vegetarian guru. Funny I donā€™t eat much meat... i love my veggies.

Most Reactions