Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
So, I just went through all 10 pages. This is MY opinion and you sure donā€™t need to accept it either. All good... :)

In every post when you mentioned Cytopoint shots or other shots, Lola got worse n horrible rashes. STOP all shots for time being.

Most of all 10 page posts, are all about Food brands n trying them all out. Absolutely NO improvement from what Iā€™ve read.
You need to stop switching her with all sorts like youā€™re doing. All this money youā€™re spending, you could of had a ā€œfoodā€ allergy test done along with the blood you already have. Your vet... if it was me, I would be looking for another vet. But thatā€™s me...Your vet seems confused.

Bottom line: Get a holistic vet, get a food allergy test done, get her GUT cleaned out!!! IMO, Itā€™s her gut thatā€™s screwed up.

The only thing you havenā€™t tried in food is ā€œhome cookingā€. I personally would stop ALL raw even dry raw n start cooking for Lola. She needs broth! Nothing is wrong with raw as Iā€™m all for that but since youā€™ve tried all raw, get her off for now till her system is back on track. Cook for her. Boil a big turkey for a good 12 hrs minimum. Keep that broth topped over the turkey while itā€™s boiling. Like a soup. Get organic fresh veggies like the ones Iā€™ve mentioned previous post. Semi cook only veggies. You make like a stew. Add the turmeric n black pepper I mentioned. Snack is fermented sauerkraut.

If youā€™re using essential oils in any ways, please advise me on what you are using n how.

This is my opinion and what I would be starting for Lola.

I tend to agree with you about her gut. Iā€™m not using any essential oils. The only thing extra she is getting right now is about a teaspoon of organic coconut oil with her Apoquel pill each morning and a cap full of organic apple cider vinegar in her water dish whenever it is refilled.

Would adding a good organic bone broth like the brand ā€œkettle and Fireā€ to the raw food be a compromise? Iā€™m not comfortable cooking for her myself at this time. If so how much bone broth at each feeding? Thanks and Iā€™ll give the home cooking more thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just canceled Lola's appointment with her regular vet and she is going to see the holistic vet on Friday. Medical records are being sent over today.

One thing I forgot to mention about the raw food is that since she has been eating raw food the skin where her seasonal flank alopecia spots are are almost completely back to normal skin color (they were completely black) and hair is starting to grow back. So that has got to at least be a good sign in some regard. I noticed them improve last time I had her on raw back in January and they have gotten even better over the last two weeks.

Thanks for all the guidance...these issues are very maddening and I'm hopeful that the holistic vet and her approach to things will help get things moving in the right direction.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just canceled Lola's appointment with her regular vet and she is going to see the holistic vet on Friday. Medical records are being sent over today.

One thing I forgot to mention about the raw food is that since she has been eating raw food the skin where her seasonal flank alopecia spots are are almost completely back to normal skin color (they were completely black) and hair is starting to grow back. So that has got to at least be a good sign in some regard. I noticed them improve last time I had her on raw back in January and they have gotten even better over the last two weeks.

Thanks for all the guidance...these issues are very maddening and I'm hopeful that the holistic vet and her approach to things will help get things moving in the right direction.

What you forgot to mention is important :) so ok if sheā€™s doing great on the raw youā€™re feeding her, stick to it. Dont change for now. Just leave it. Ask your holistic vet which bone broth as I donā€™t know the brand you mentioned. The trick to bone broth is how long you boil it. Thatā€™s how you get way more minerals into a diet. The ones that are sold in health food stores or supermarkets, you will not know how long itā€™s been boiled. Bovin n chicken Collagen is great for joints, tissues, muscles etc. The marine (fish) is great for the skin n hair. If you add evoo in your dogā€™s food, it will help for the skin n hair. I add a tablespoon to both of mine once a day.

Adding broth to frozen is ok but kind of hard to chew frozen n drink at the same time unless you thawed the raw. I pour it in their bowl on its own and they drink it. A good 1/2 cup each.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What you forgot to mention is important :) so ok if sheā€™s doing great on the raw youā€™re feeding her, stick to it. Dont change for now. Just leave it. Ask your holistic vet which bone broth as I donā€™t know the brand you mentioned. The trick to bone broth is how long you boil it. Thatā€™s how you get way more minerals into a diet. The ones that are sold in health food stores or supermarkets, you will not know how long itā€™s been boiled. Bovin n chicken Collagen is great for joints, tissues, muscles etc. The marine (fish) is great for the skin n hair. If you add evoo in your dogā€™s food, it will help for the skin n hair. I add a tablespoon to both of mine once a day.

Adding broth to frozen is ok but kind of hard to chew frozen n drink at the same time unless you thawed the raw. I pour it in their bowl on its own and they drink it. A good 1/2 cup each.

Thanks for mentioning bone broth because for some reason I wasn't thinking about how good it would be for her. Kettle and Fire is made from 100% grass fed bones simmered for 20+ hours. The stuff is liquid gold. I hope it is OK to post a link...you can check out Kettle and Fire here: https://www.kettleandfire.com/ You should try it...it is delicious.

I always thaw the frozen raw in the refrigerator overnight. Sometimes it doesn't thaw all the way and since she threw up once when it was still partially frozen I like it to be close to completely thawed when I feed her. If it isn't I run some luke warm water over it in the bowl and then mash it all up int a paste and let it sit for a few min. before feeding it to her. I figure since she is eating it right away that shouldn't cause a bacteria issue. I figured I could just replace the water with the bone broth even though after the first serving it would be cold from being refrigerated.

Thanks again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for mentioning bone broth because for some reason I wasn't thinking about how good it would be for her. Kettle and Fire is made from 100% grass fed bones simmered for 20+ hours. The stuff is liquid gold. I hope it is OK to post a link...you can check out Kettle and Fire here: https://www.kettleandfire.com/ You should try it...it is delicious.

I always thaw the frozen raw in the refrigerator overnight. Sometimes it doesn't thaw all the way and since she threw up once when it was still partially frozen I like it to be close to completely thawed when I feed her. If it isn't I run some luke warm water over it in the bowl and then mash it all up int a paste and let it sit for a few min. before feeding it to her. I figure since she is eating it right away that shouldn't cause a bacteria issue. I figured I could just replace the water with the bone broth even though after the first serving it would be cold from being refrigerated.

Thanks again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

We all post links here. Iā€™m probably the worst one lol... weā€™ll go for that broth. Start with 1/2 cup a day. Please keep us posted I want to know what your holistic vet has to say. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I donā€™t plan on having her get any more shots, ever if I can get a Titer test and waiver. Iā€™m slowly working on her diet. I was just curious if I might be right about the shots making her worse or if I was barking up the wrong tree (pun intended).

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/9-safe-apoquel-alternatives/
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/what-are-the-best-probiotics-for-dogs/

Good read for you. Mind you others too

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Anyone ever do a fecal transplant? I came across a product called DoggyBiome Gut Health Restoration System. It is pretty expensive, but it might be just what Lola needs to get her gut back in shape. I'm going to ask the holistic vet about it on Friday.

Here is the website for the company that makes the product: https://www.animalbiome.com/

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/21_2/features/Fecal-Transplants-for-Dogs_21786-1.html

I know we talked about it on here befo, but canā€™t remember if someone actually did it or not

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know we talked about it on here befo, but canā€™t remember if someone actually did it or not

I would be curious to know the results if anyone has done it. It is quite expensive but I may consider it. If I do decide to do it I would probably do their test first to make sure it is warranted. Then after treatment I would probably do the test again to see how much of a difference it actually made. If I ever do that I will be sure to share it here on the EBN forum.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I would be curious to know the results if anyone has done it. It is quite expensive but I may consider it. If I do decide to do it I would probably do their test first to make sure it is warranted. Then after treatment I would probably do the test again to see how much of a difference it actually made. If I ever do that I will be sure to share it here on the EBN forum.

Your problem is youā€™re trying way too many things with Lola. Youā€™re not giving Lolaā€™s body a break to heal with all these products n food youā€™ve been bouncing around with. Stop trying to find a magic potion n let her own body fight n heal. Simply feed her raw like youā€™re doing n add fermented sauerkraut daily!

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Your problem is youā€™re trying way too many things with Lola. Youā€™re not giving Lolaā€™s body a break to heal with all these products n food youā€™ve been bouncing around with. Stop trying to find a magic potion n let her own body fight n heal. Simply feed her raw like youā€™re doing n add fermented sauerkraut daily!

Sorry, I'm not following your logic here. If I were to have the test done to check her gut what would the harm be? And if her gut is in bad shape then what would the harm be in a fecal transplant to expedite fixing it? I get what you are saying, but I'm really not changing much of anything in the last year other than switching to RAW in the last couple of months. The short change back off of the raw was unavoidable due to me going out of town for two weeks and needing to keep it simple for the people taking care of Lola. And prior to the last year she was on the same food for more than a year. All those other food trials were earlier on with no less than 30-60 days on each food to see how she reacted. And from everything I have read from the holistic vets it is good to change their raw food frequently, even as often as every 3-7 days.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Quick update. DO NOT feed your dog Fire and Kettle bone broth. I did not look closely enough at the ingredients and they use onions and other spices dogs should not eat in their broth. I gave Lola two servings of about 4 ounces of the broth about 12 hours apart and she has had two bouts of horrible diarrhea. One last night around 8 pm and one around 4 am this morning and this morning there was blood in it. Talking to the vet today.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Quick update. DO NOT feed your dog Fire and Kettle bone broth. I did not look closely enough at the ingredients and they use onions and other spices dogs should not eat in their broth. I gave Lola two servings of about 4 ounces of the broth about 12 hours apart and she has had two bouts of horrible diarrhea. One last night around 8 pm and one around 4 am this morning and this morning there was blood in it. Talking to the vet today.

I hope she is OK and it was just getting it out of her system

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.