Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Agree with Christine. Talk to your vet n have a waiver going. I know some donā€™t agree with me but I personally always had all owned dogs their first shots n that was it after. Never gave any of my dogs follow up shots. Most are way to powerful. Here in Canada a very well know vet is going after the government as vets are still giving example a 120lb dogā€™s weight to a 10 - 50lb weight dog. Itā€™s insane. Vets are fed up getting sued by owners cause of the aftermath reactions. I never bring my dogs to any daycares, parks or babysat elsewhere. Only my sonā€™s will baby sit my dogs. I do use a lot of essential oils for maintenance. I do have the diffuser on daily. Next week Iā€™m talking a couple days off and will be bringing my 2 for a good walk in Banff/Rockies. I will spray them with their mix for bugs even though itā€™s still cold n snowy. I completely avoid any shots on my dogs. Again thatā€™s MY decision and at the end of the day owners can do whatever they want with their dogs. :)

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
They only issue I see with that is getting my vet to agree with me that the Rabies vaccines are causing the issues. I did not give her any other vaccines after the first year since they are not required by law (she had all the usual puppy shots). But I think it might be tough to get her to agree with me on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They only issue I see with that is getting my vet to agree with me that the Rabies vaccines are causing the issues. I did not give her any other vaccines after the first year since they are not required by law (she had all the usual puppy shots). But I think it might be tough to get her to agree with me on this.

Agreed... the pup I spoke of , it was severe and vet only agreed after second rabies shot had same reaction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Agreed... the pup I spoke of , it was severe and vet only agreed after second rabies shot had same reaction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know there can be adverse reactions to vaccines but I don't know if I have ever heard of the reactions affecting years later.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m pretty sure once their immune system is screwed up from the vaccine it is going to be a problem forever. And the issues showed up in both cases shortly after the rabies vaccines.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m pretty sure once their immune system is screwed up from the vaccine it is going to be a problem forever. And the issues showed up in both cases shortly after the rabies vaccines.

No No, You ā€œCANā€ repair the immune system with food. You need to add example like:
Red bell peppers, ginger, garlic, broccoli, spinach, fermented sauerkraut, Greek yogurt, goats milk, turmeric...any dark green veggies and berries. Keep the raw going but add these above ingredients as topping. Also salmon, herring n sardines. Make sure all fish is NOT fished out of chinaā€™s Water cause of high mercury levels or youā€™re back to square one. This goes for any fish oils. Ask questions where your fish comes from. Fermented sauerkraut, fermented veggies will clean the gut out. Thatā€™s your goal here.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No No, You ā€œCANā€ repair the immune system with food. You need to add example like:
Red bell peppers, ginger, garlic, broccoli, spinach, fermented sauerkraut, Greek yogurt, goats milk, turmeric...any dark green veggies and berries. Keep the raw going but add these above ingredients as topping. Also salmon, herring n sardines. Make sure all fish is NOT fished out of chinaā€™s Water cause of high mercury levels or youā€™re back to square one. This goes for any fish oils. Ask questions where your fish comes from. Fermented sauerkraut, fermented veggies will clean the gut out. Thatā€™s your goal here.

Thank you very much for this info. Can you please provide some guidance on how much of each of these different foods to add and which to add together at the same time? Because I have absolutely no clue what combinations are good together or how much of each to give her. She is about 30 pounds if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you very much for this info. Can you please provide some guidance on how much of each of these different foods to add and which to add together at the same time? Because I have absolutely no clue what combinations are good together or how much of each to give her. She is about 30 pounds if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!

30lbs isnā€™t big. I donā€™t know what you guys (humans) eat on daily basis. I eat a lot of veggies. Every supper I eat at least 3 veggies. If possible start every 2 days to get Lola use to new food. Start with one teaspoon fermented sauerkraut every 2 days for a good week. Later on when sheā€™s use to it it will be one tablespoon. After a week, keep up the FS n add RED bell peppers. ALL veggies n fruits needs to be raw. Give her half a bell pepper opposite days of FS. Then remove pepper n replace it with 1/2 cup total of both broccoli n cauliflower. Stool will be softer but because youā€™re feeding raw, it will end up normal. Ginger n turmeric are the best for immune system. Just start with a pinch of each but make sure you add also a pinch of black pepper so you get full benefits of the turmeric. Start like this for now and as the weeks goes by add another veggie. Use berries as treats in mid day like a 1/4 cup. You dog is small so so these extras will help her get back on track. Do try to buy your veggies local or organic if possible.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
30lbs isnā€™t big. I donā€™t know what you guys (humans) eat on daily basis. I eat a lot of veggies. Every supper I eat at least 3 veggies. If possible start every 2 days to get Lola use to new food. Start with one teaspoon fermented sauerkraut every 2 days for a good week. Later on when sheā€™s use to it it will be one tablespoon. After a week, keep up the FS n add RED bell peppers. ALL veggies n fruits needs to be raw. Give her half a bell pepper opposite days of FS. Then remove pepper n replace it with 1/2 cup total of both broccoli n cauliflower. Stool will be softer but because youā€™re feeding raw, it will end up normal. Ginger n turmeric are the best for immune system. Just start with a pinch of each but make sure you add also a pinch of black pepper so you get full benefits of the turmeric. Start like this for now and as the weeks goes by add another veggie. Use berries as treats in mid day like a 1/4 cup. You dog is small so so these extras will help her get back on track. Do try to buy your veggies local or organic if possible.

Thanks! Ginger and Turmeric every meal? Once per day? Every other day?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! Ginger and Turmeric every meal? Once per day? Every other day?

Every 2days for now. Jumps days so Lola gets use to her new additions. If all put at once you wonā€™t know if she has an issue and what can have caused it. Write it down if you have too.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Every 2days for now. Jumps days so Lola gets use to her new additions. If all put at once you wonā€™t know if she has an issue and what can have caused it. Write it down if you have too.

Thanks.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
18 days on Primal frozen raw duck formula with zero improvements. So I got thinking about the two Cytopoint shots that Lola received. 3 days after the first shot she got worse than she has ever been, and she continues to be just as bad today. Her front legs and arm pit areas are completely raw and have lost all hair and get sticky. Her belly gets red and bumpy and sometimes develops a brown pasty crud that won't wipe off with chlorhexidine wipes. The only thing that will remove it is a bath but then it is back in one or two days at most. Between her toes is pasty and some days is red and irritated and others seem ok.

Her second Cytopoint shot was on 02/08/2019. I see that the Cytopoint website lists dermatitis and pruritus as known side effects. I'm beginning to think that might be playing a part in her current issues since right after that first shot she got worse than she has ever been and I have still seen no improvement even with her back on Apoquel. If when Cytopoint works it can last 4-10 weeks, would an allergic reaction potentially last just as long? I was hoping to see some improvement within a couple of weeks but that is not the case. Lola goes in on Thursday for her annual checkup and to have her skin issues looked at again...for the one millionth time.

:bang:

I did find a holistic vet that is pretty close to me. I'm seriously considering taking Lola there.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
18 days on Primal frozen raw duck formula with zero improvements. So I got thinking about the two Cytopoint shots that Lola received. 3 days after the first shot she got worse than she has ever been, and she continues to be just as bad today. Her front legs and arm pit areas are completely raw and have lost all hair and get sticky. Her belly gets red and bumpy and sometimes develops a brown pasty crud that won't wipe off with chlorhexidine wipes. The only thing that will remove it is a bath but then it is back in one or two days at most. Between her toes is pasty and some days is red and irritated and others seem ok.

Her second Cytopoint shot was on 02/08/2019. I see that the Cytopoint website lists dermatitis and pruritus as known side effects. I'm beginning to think that might be playing a part in her current issues since right after that first shot she got worse than she has ever been and I have still seen no improvement even with her back on Apoquel. If when Cytopoint works it can last 4-10 weeks, would an allergic reaction potentially last just as long? I was hoping to see some improvement within a couple of weeks but that is not the case. Lola goes in on Thursday for her annual checkup and to have her skin issues looked at again...for the one millionth time.

:bang:

I did find a holistic vet that is pretty close to me. I'm seriously considering taking Lola there.

I would stop immediately Cytopoint or any shots. These shots are all made with chemicals. Iā€™m going to go back on your page one of this thread as definitely somethingā€™s up with the immune system. ALL shots will affect the immune system. You cannot use these shots forever as it will do the opposite effect which is what youā€™re going through now. Lola proven to you she cannot handle them shots anymore. I sure wouldnā€™t hesitate to see a holistic vet. Lolaā€™s gut is very screwed up. You need to get her gut on track n Iā€™m serious when I say that. Again, turmeric with pinch of black pepper, fermented sauerkraut, broth = collagen, loaded of minerals. If you donā€™t feel like boiling a turkey for 12hrs plus, buy bovine collagen. A drop of frankincense in her water or food....Clean gut = clean immune system = white blood cell which helps the body fight infection and diseases. Get the gut flowing!!

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would stop immediately Cytopoint or any shots. These shots are all made with chemicals. Iā€™m going to go back on your page one of this thread as definitely somethingā€™s up with the immune system. ALL shots will affect the immune system. You cannot use these shots forever as it will do the opposite effect which is what youā€™re going through now. Lola proven to you she cannot handle them shots anymore. I sure wouldnā€™t hesitate to see a holistic vet. Lolaā€™s gut is very screwed up. You need to get her gut on track n Iā€™m serious when I say that. Again, turmeric with pinch of black pepper, fermented sauerkraut, broth = collagen, loaded of minerals. If you donā€™t feel like boiling a turkey for 12hrs plus, buy bovine collagen. A drop of frankincense in her water or food....Clean gut = clean immune system = white blood cell which helps the body fight infection and diseases. Get the gut flowing!!

I donā€™t plan on having her get any more shots, ever if I can get a Titer test and waiver. Iā€™m slowly working on her diet. I was just curious if I might be right about the shots making her worse or if I was barking up the wrong tree (pun intended).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So, I just went through all 10 pages. This is MY opinion and you sure donā€™t need to accept it either. All good... :)

In every post when you mentioned Cytopoint shots or other shots, Lola got worse n horrible rashes. STOP all shots for time being.

Most of all 10 page posts, are all about Food brands n trying them all out. Absolutely NO improvement from what Iā€™ve read.
You need to stop switching her with all sorts like youā€™re doing. All this money youā€™re spending, you could of had a ā€œfoodā€ allergy test done along with the blood you already have. Your vet... if it was me, I would be looking for another vet. But thatā€™s me...Your vet seems confused.

Bottom line: Get a holistic vet, get a food allergy test done, get her GUT cleaned out!!! IMO, Itā€™s her gut thatā€™s screwed up.

The only thing you havenā€™t tried in food is ā€œhome cookingā€. I personally would stop ALL raw even dry raw n start cooking for Lola. She needs broth! Nothing is wrong with raw as Iā€™m all for that but since youā€™ve tried all raw, get her off for now till her system is back on track. Cook for her. Boil a big turkey for a good 12 hrs minimum. Keep that broth topped over the turkey while itā€™s boiling. Like a soup. Get organic fresh veggies like the ones Iā€™ve mentioned previous post. Semi cook only veggies. You make like a stew. Add the turmeric n black pepper I mentioned. Snack is fermented sauerkraut.

If youā€™re using essential oils in any ways, please advise me on what you are using n how.

This is my opinion and what I would be starting for Lola.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.