Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our vet told us, so you might want to check with your vet... Cytopoint might have to be done in conjunction with Apoquel. We are lucky, Lambeau is doing well on Cytopoint, he gets shots spring-fall but about once every 6 weeks

Blood allergy test... I have done them for three of my four and they really helped with narrowing down what to avoid with both environmental and food.

Also... try duck as a protein.. it is less of a chance for allergies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Our vet told us, so you might want to check with your vet... Cytopoint might have to be done in conjunction with Apoquel. We are lucky, Lambeau is doing well on Cytopoint, he gets shots spring-fall but about once every 6 weeks

Blood allergy test... I have done them for three of my four and they really helped with narrowing down what to avoid with both environmental and food.

Also... try duck as a protein.. it is less of a chance for allergies

Thanks for the info.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@ddnene had a bloodtest done with her results.. she might help you there.

Also here’s a link with an updated on apodquel...

https://vitalanimal.com/apoquel-dog-1/

I'm just now dealing w/this... my Walter was not having much luck on the Cytopoint injections, although his reactions seem mild compared to what you are going thru. We were getting them almost once a month to every 6 weeks... I decided to go ahead and have the blood allergy testing done because I was tired of spending all this money on the food trials. I just got his results back, and waiting for a conference call w/the vet to decide our next step. IMO it would be cheaper in the long run to do the allergy testing... find out what is causing these extreme reactions.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm just now dealing w/this... my Walter was not having much luck on the Cytopoint injections, although his reactions seem mild compared to what you are going thru. We were getting them almost once a month to every 6 weeks... I decided to go ahead and have the blood allergy testing done because I was tired of spending all this money on the food trials. I just got his results back, and waiting for a conference call w/the vet to decide our next step. IMO it would be cheaper in the long run to do the allergy testing... find out what is causing these extreme reactions.

Thank you for the input. I think we are going to get the blood allergy testing done...we just have to figure out how to squeeze it into our budget.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you for the input. I think we are going to get the blood allergy testing done...we just have to figure out how to squeeze it into our budget.

I understand, believe me... I've been doing a food trial for almost a year now, and that w/the vet visits I could've paid to have the blood testing done :facepalm2:

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola is going in this afternoon to have the blood drawn for the test. Hopefully this helps us figure something out.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lola is going in this afternoon to have the blood drawn for the test. Hopefully this helps us figure something out.

Just checking... she has not been on steroids or Apaquel for the last 30 days.. has she?

If yes, you may want to delay the blood draw till that time so you do not get false negative results

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just checking... she has not been on steroids or Apaquel for the last 30 days.. has she?

If yes, you may want to delay the blood draw till that time so you do not get false negative results

The vet didn't say anything about that being a possibility. The issue is that after only 5 days off the Apoquel she is miserable and in horrible condition. I can't imagine how horrible a condition she would be in after being off for 30 days. I'll talk to the vet about it as soon as I get there though to make sure we aren't jumping the gun. Thanks for that info.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The vet didn't say anything about that being a possibility. The issue is that after only 5 days off the Apoquel she is miserable and in horrible condition. I can't imagine how horrible a condition she would be in after being off for 30 days. I'll talk to the vet about it as soon as I get there though to make sure we aren't jumping the gun. Thanks for that info.

[emoji1695][emoji1317][emoji1695][emoji1317]

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They told me there should be no issues with Apoquel being in her system at the time of the blood draw. I asked them about the Cytopoint too and they said both were OK. Hopefully they are right because that was a chunk of change!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hmmmm...Jax had a skin test done a few years back to test for environmental allergies and he had to be off any meds he was taking for allergies in order to get accurate results. Maybe a blood test is different?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They told me there should be no issues with Apoquel being in her system at the time of the blood draw. I asked them about the Cytopoint too and they said both were OK. Hopefully they are right because that was a chunk of change!

Good!! Keep us posted!!

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmmm...Jax had a skin test done a few years back to test for environmental allergies and he had to be off any meds he was taking for allergies in order to get accurate results. Maybe a blood test is different?

I’m thankful that it was pointed out to me that it could be an issue and after I thought about it I was surprised that it wouldn’t be an issue. I’ve just got to trust that they are right.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I got Lola's blood allergy test results last week. She is allergic to a bunch of grasses, trees, molds, as well as dust mites and storage mites. There were no foods/meats included in the testing. I have not seen any improvement at all with her being on a frozen raw diet for close to another month, and her vet does not think her issue is food related.

I'm trying to decide if I want to start the allergy injections, but the medication seems ridiculously expensive. It will cost $416 for a single 10ML vial. The vial COULD last up to 10 months, depending on her response. That said the price is the same if it is mixed for one (1) allergen or twelve (12) allergens. I'm curious if others are paying this much or if I'm being over charged, because that price seems ridiculous to me.

Also, how do these kind of allergy shots affect their immune system? Is it potentially as bad for them as the Apoquel or are the injections less likely to cause issues with her immune system long term? I don't want to trade one poison for another.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I got Lola's blood allergy test results last week. She is allergic to a bunch of grasses, trees, molds, as well as dust mites and storage mites. There were no foods/meats included in the testing. I have not seen any improvement at all with her being on a frozen raw diet for close to another month, and her vet does not think her issue is food related.

When you say “There were no foods/meats included in the testing.” Do you mean food wasn’t tested or all food came out zero allergies? “If” it wasn’t tested, well sadly that test should of been included as it’s extremely important test.

BTW what is in the frozen raw n what extras do you feed her?

Members online

No members online now.