Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How long should I stay on one protein if I want to rotate them?

If you’re out a protein for the first time, I would do a month. Once you figure out what proteins work, you can do weekly, biweekly, whatever really. It all balances out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Good grief...now she had diarrhea last night before bed and again while I was at work. I'm not sure if it is from the food, the Flora4 probiotic (I did not give her the Flora4 this morning because of her diarrhea last night), or maybe she just has a virus or something.

Any suggestions?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Good grief...now she had diarrhea last night before bed and again while I was at work. I'm not sure if it is from the food, the Flora4 probiotic (I did not give her the Flora4 this morning because of her diarrhea last night), or maybe she just has a virus or something.

Any suggestions?

How is she today? Did you switch proteins? You can try a bland diet (boiled chicken and rice) and pure pumpkin puree.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How is she today? Did you switch proteins? You can try a bland diet (boiled chicken and rice) and pure pumpkin puree.

So far today she seems fine. She did not poop this morning and I just ran home and took her out and she just went pee again. So I'm assuming that the diarrhea is done. I think it was from the Flora4, which I stopped giving her after the first loose stool. Looking back I should have probably stopped giving it right when she started pooping normally again.

If the soft stool continues I'll add some pure pumpkin back into her diet.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So far today she seems fine. She did not poop this morning and I just ran home and took her out and she just went pee again. So I'm assuming that the diarrhea is done. I think it was from the Flora4, which I stopped giving her after the first loose stool. Looking back I should have probably stopped giving it right when she started pooping normally again.

If the soft stool continues I'll add some pure pumpkin back into her diet.

Good to hear!

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Would anyone like to share their experience with the freeze dried raw foods? I was considering switching just for the simplicity, but it looks like the freeze dried costs about twice as much for the same amount of calories. One reason I'm considering it is because I will be going on a two week vacation in January and will be having someone watch my dog for me and I would like to keep it as simple as possible for them.

Also, if switching to a freeze dried formula is there any reason to do a transition?

What about switching raw brands, like switching from Primal to Stella & Chewy's. Should you do a transition?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Would anyone like to share their experience with the freeze dried raw foods? I was considering switching just for the simplicity, but it looks like the freeze dried costs about twice as much for the same amount of calories. One reason I'm considering it is because I will be going on a two week vacation in January and will be having someone watch my dog for me and I would like to keep it as simple as possible for them.

Also, if switching to a freeze dried formula is there any reason to do a transition?

What about switching raw brands, like switching from Primal to Stella & Chewy's. Should you do a transition?

I’ve never done freeze dried but I know it’s more expensive. I know people that will use it for traveling purposes as it’s more convenient than frozen raw. I was thinking of getting some to have on hand in case of an emergency.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I’ve never done freeze dried but I know it’s more expensive. I know people that will use it for traveling purposes as it’s more convenient than frozen raw. I was thinking of getting some to have on hand in case of an emergency.

I take it from this that you can interchange the same recipe of frozen and freeze dried whenever necessary without a transition?

Lola still has not had a bowel movement since the last episode of diarrhea two days ago, but I guess that could be normal since it pretty much cleaned her out. I'm expecting a movement either tonight or tomorrow morning. I hope she has one soon though because I'm almost out of the current Beef food and I wanted to try the Primal Raw frozen lamb for a couple weeks, but I don't want to change her again if she isn't pooping normally.

Also, when I posted this thread I did not even realize that there is a separate forum section for Raw food discussion. Feel free to move this thread to that section if you would like.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I take it from this that you can interchange the same recipe of frozen and freeze dried whenever necessary without a transition?

Lola still has not had a bowel movement since the last episode of diarrhea two days ago, but I guess that could be normal since it pretty much cleaned her out. I'm expecting a movement either tonight or tomorrow morning. I hope she has one soon though because I'm almost out of the current Beef food and I wanted to try the Primal Raw frozen lamb for a couple weeks, but I don't want to change her again if she isn't pooping normally.

Also, when I posted this thread I did not even realize that there is a separate forum section for Raw food discussion. Feel free to move this thread to that section if you would like.

Sometimes Jax (my Frenchie) goes through bouts of diarrhea here and there and then he normally doesn't go for a day or two and then everything is back to normal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Yes, I did this with Stella and Chewys before I found my raw provider.. never any issues

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She had a pretty normal poo tonight. Still smaller and harder than when she was eating kibble but that was expected.

Is 30 days after a food change still the general rule for food allergy issues to clear up? It has been it has been about 16 days fully on raw. Just wondering if I should wait longer before changing protein.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
She had a pretty normal poo tonight. Still smaller and harder than when she was eating kibble but that was expected.

Is 30 days after a food change still the general rule for food allergy issues to clear up? It has been it has been about 16 days fully on raw. Just wondering if I should wait longer before changing protein.

I would go a full month.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola still seems constipated, although it could just be from the smaller firmer stool from the raw food. However, I think I want to try Stella and Chewy's frozen raw food due to it having a little bit more fiber. Do I need to do a transition when making that kind of change?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola still seems constipated, although it could just be from the smaller firmer stool from the raw food. However, I think I want to try Stella and Chewy's frozen raw food due to it having a little bit more fiber. Do I need to do a transition when making that kind of change?

I’ve never transitioned between brands.

Members online

No members online now.