Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
But is she struggling to get it out? Iā€™ve heard of dogs having rabbit turds with raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iā€™m not sure if she is struggling but I figure she has to be backed up pretty good to vomit like she did.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™m not sure if she is struggling but I figure she has to be backed up pretty good to vomit like she did.

Primal Raw food, which one are you feeding her asthey make numerous flavours. Curious....

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Primal Raw food, which one are you feeding her asthey make numerous flavours. Curious....

I started with the beef. Iā€™m wondering if a different brand like Stella and Chewyā€™s might be more easily digestible for her? I picked Primal because there were fewer overall ingredients in the food but maybe she needs something different?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You can try a different protein with Primal as it is a good brand. Also try adding some fiber as suggested.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can try a different protein with Primal as it is a good brand. Also try adding some fiber as suggested.

Would adding more pumpkin be helpful or do I need something with more insoluble fiber than what pumpkin contains?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Would adding more pumpkin be helpful or do I need something with more insoluble fiber than what pumpkin contains?

You can try it to see if it helps. Or fresh green beans as suggested. When Louie was eating certain Fromm flavors, the fiber level was low and I would add in a pinch of coconut flakes to help him out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TUGZHAS/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_7?smid=AL5GSC2FMYVAD&psc=1

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all the replies. I picked up some Carna4 Flora4 to add to her meals hoping it will help get her digestive system straightened out. I was wondering if the pumpkin could be making things worse. Iā€™ll try cutting it out of her diet for a few days and see what happens. If things donā€™t improve in a few days Iā€™ll probably switch her to Stella and Chewyā€™s and see how that goes.

Rostov

Jan 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Hi all,

I just switched my boy to Primal Raw Lamb, It's been a few weeks now, transition took just a week, I was mixing raw and dry as they recommended... As a result - much less of a poop, it used to be twice a day x2, not consistent, now it is 3 times less... The poop is much harder - that was a concern, but if you say it is ok..??

Now I have a question - my boy is a bit over 60lb, and before the switch, he was on Merrick Lamb dry food no grain formula, he was getting 300g per day, as breeder recommended.
How much should i feed him with raw, more or the same? It looks like 300gr per day was not enough, I increased to 600 - he was happy, and now i backed up to 500g per day to make sure he dos not get overweight... Time will show, but what is it in general, dry vs raw?

Also, he is getting a lot of tears, and looks like with raw it got a bit worse... - Do you think I should try another protein? Which one is the best for them?

Thanks!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi all,

I just switched my boy to Primal Raw Lamb, It's been a few weeks now, transition took just a week, I was mixing raw and dry as they recommended... As a result - much less of a poop, it used to be twice a day x2, not consistent, now it is 3 times less... The poop is much harder - that was a concern, but if you say it is ok..??

Now I have a question - my boy is a bit over 60lb, and before the switch, he was on Merrick Lamb dry food no grain formula, he was getting 300g per day, as breeder recommended.
How much should i feed him with raw, more or the same? It looks like 300gr per day was not enough, I increased to 600 - he was happy, and now i backed up to 500g per day to make sure he dos not get overweight... Time will show, but what is it in general, dry vs raw?

Also, he is getting a lot of tears, and looks like with raw it got a bit worse... - Do you think I should try another protein? Which one is the best for them?

Thanks!

Louie is 60 pounds. He is still getting kibble in the morning and is getting a heaping 1.5 cups and then he gets raw in the pm and I just increased him to 9.5 ounces. Louie's build can hold a few more pounds so I might increase him a little more but will see how he does with this amount for a bit plus he is quite active.

The general rule is to feed 2% of body weight to maintain weight. But every dog is different so you might need to feed more or you might need to feed less.

You can definitely try a different protein. With raw, it is good to rotate between at least 3 proteins.

Rostov

Jan 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
Louie is 60 pounds. He is still getting kibble in the morning and is getting a heaping 1.5 cups and then he gets raw in the pm and I just increased him to 9.5 ounces. Louie's build can hold a few more pounds so I might increase him a little more but will see how he does with this amount for a bit plus he is quite active.

The general rule is to feed 2% of body weight to maintain weight. But every dog is different so you might need to feed more or you might need to feed less.

You can definitely try a different protein. With raw, it is good to rotate between at least 3 proteins.

Thanks. Well... looks like I am right on the point with 2% then. :)
I'll probably do buffalo or beef next time.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stopping the pumpkin and adding the Flora4 seems to have done he trick. She is pooping normally again.

So Iā€™m going to do another week of he Primal Raw Beef then try the Lamb. Do I need to do a transition or can I just change completely on he first day of the new protein?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stopping the pumpkin and adding the Flora4 seems to have done he trick. She is pooping normally again.

So Iā€™m going to do another week of he Primal Raw Beef then try the Lamb. Do I need to do a transition or can I just change completely on he first day of the new protein?

I have never transitioned when switching proteins.

Rostov

Jan 28, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Romeo
How long should I stay on one protein if I want to rotate them?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online