Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

Real Name
    Pete
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
    Likes (Received)

Default Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

Well so much for Lola doing good on the Stella & Chewy's Raw Coated Lamb kibble. I came back from vacation and she is worse than she has been in a long time even after a Cytopoint shot. She goes back in on Friday for another shot (4 weeks after the first one). After 4 years of this (she didn't seem to have any issues until after she turned one year old) I'm at my wits end.

Here is a list of all of the foods I have tried over the last 5 years. All but one has been a kibble.

Blue buffalo chicken
    Taste of the Wild - High Prairie Puppy
    Fromm - Beef Fritatta
    Taste of the Wild - High Prairie Canine
    Pioneer Naturals Grain & Potato Free Whitefish
    Dr. E's Grain & Potato Free Duck RX Dog Food
    Natural Planet Rabbit & Salmon Entree Grain Free
    V-Dog
    Hill's Prescription Diet z/d

Zignature Kangaroo
    Taste of the wild Pacific Stream Salmon
    Acana Duck & Pear singles formula.
    Carna4 Grain Free Duck & Carna4 Flora4 natural probiotic
    Fromm Pork & Peas
    Primal Raw Frozen Patties - Beef
    Stella & Chewy’s Raw Coated Kibble - Lamb

She seemed really constipated on the Primal Raw Frozen Beef, but maybe that is just how they poop on raw food (like large rabbit turds)? Her skin issues did seem to be improving but I switched her back to a kibble because of the constipation and the fact that I was going on vacation. She also had a anal gland impact and rupture a little less than a year ago so I'm concerned about her stool being too small and not expressing the glands properly. But I do want to give Raw food a try again. If anyone has any suggestions for a raw brand and protein to try I'm all ears. I think the only common protein she hasn't tried yet is Turkey, but I find it hard to believe that she is allergic to ALL of the proteins that she has tried. Which would mean it has to be something else causing the issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what raw food to try.

Bruno the Bulldog - Rest in peace old buddy.
    July 1996 - December 2007

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

@pcchenard that’s a lot of brands. Question is how long would she stay on each change?

Regarding raw n pooping, yes when dogs eat raw it’s like hard little nuggets. You need to add fiber like frozen green beans or berries etc....how long did you stay with raw?

Real Name
    Pete
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Most food changes were no less than 60 days with no symptom improvements, but a couple were abandoned due to extreme constipation after 30 days.

She was on Raw for about a month and I stopped the Raw food simply because I was going on vacation and was concerned about the hard poop and the fact that someone else would have to deal with the raw food, which I was still learning about myself. But I want to give Raw another try for a longer time period. I'm just not sure what brand and protein to try.

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pcchenard View Post
    Most food changes were no less than 60 days with no symptom improvements, but a couple were abandoned due to extreme constipation after 30 days.

She was on Raw for about a month and I stopped the Raw food simply because I was going on vacation and was concerned about the hard poop and the fact that someone else would have to deal with the raw food, which I was still learning about myself. But I want to give Raw another try for a longer time period. I'm just not sure what brand and protein to try.
    I don’t know what you guys have in the US but I’m sure @2BullyMama n @Cbrugs can help you on the brands. I found a place where I go buy it frozen in 1/2 pounders. So both my dogs are 50lbs and the get a pound a day plus their treats. I’m pretty sure if you stick to raw you will eliminate a lot of issues with Lola. But don’t forget to also give fiber as veggies n fruits.

5. Likes pcchenard, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I buy a from local provider made to order.

Some good national brands are
    Vital Essential
    Stella and Chewys
    Answers
    Primal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

7. Likes pcchenard liked this post
    Real Name
    Pete
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I buy a from local provider made to order.

Some good national brands are
    Vital Essential
    Stella and Chewys
    Answers
    Primal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'm going to give Stella and Chewy's "Stella's Super Beef" frozen patties a try. I'll report back after she has been on it a while.

9. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

I rotate between Vital Essentials, Tucker's, Answers, NW Naturals, and Primal. I also get ground up rabbit locally through a raw food co-op.

11. Likes pcchenard, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

since we're talking raw i was thinking of doing something different AGAIN.. What if i got my own meat source,(like some grass feed something) and added it raw (i used to do this but cook the meat and add) to one of the new Honest kitchen base mixes. They have a coupl of new ones i see. Has anyone used raw this way?

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    since we're talking raw i was thinking of doing something different AGAIN.. What if i got my own meat source,(like some grass feed something) and added it raw (i used to do this but cook the meat and add) to one of the new Honest kitchen base mixes. They have a coupl of new ones i see. Has anyone used raw this way?
    Cheaper if you buy your own veggies than HK base.

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Cheaper if you buy your own veggies than HK base.
    yea, i was also thinking................ I am doing a bit of juicing of carrots, beets apple and ginger type drink (thats for me ) and have lots of that fiber stuff left. I know for the dog to absorb it needs either slight cook or very ground type thing..... wondering how i could incorporate this into special meals for the Hankster.

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    yea, i was also thinking................ I am doing a bit of juicing of carrots, beets apple and ginger type drink (thats for me ) and have lots of that fiber stuff left. I know for the dog to absorb it needs either slight cook or very ground type thing..... wondering how i could incorporate this into special meals for the Hankster.
    Hankster is use to eating veggies so I would simply add some of your juice in it n freeze in ice cube trays. No need to cook it as it’s like eating the veggie raw. Use them as treats or add to broth n again in ice cube trays.

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

yes! perfect to freeze!! I get kinda lots at a time and doesnt last forever so that would be the answer. tks,,,,, sometimes ya just gotta ask

17. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads