Going RAW, gradual change from kibble or go full raw from day 1?

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
I'm still battling skin issues with my bulldog Lola. She has been on Apoquel for about 3 years now and still has some issues with pink itchy skin and I want to get her off the medication because I think it may do more harm than good in the long run. She has already had to have a Mast Cell Tumor removed from the top of her head that developed about a year after she started the Apoquel. The vet doesn't think it is from the medication but I'm not convinced that is true. Regardless, I want to get her off the medication. I figured the best option is to get her off the Fromm kibble dog food and onto a raw diet. I started her this morning on a transition to Primal RAW beef patties. I started mixing it 1/4 new raw with 3/4 old kibble like they suggest to do for the first 3 days. Then they suggest full raw in the morning and full kibble in the evening for the next 4 days, then full raw after that for both meals. That said, I have been reading that mixing the raw food with the kibble as they suggest for the first 3 days can cause digestive upset due to the way their body digests raw and kibble differently. I have read that raw for one meal and kibble for another 6+ hours later is fine. So, is following Primal's recommendation the way to go? Will the first 3 days of mixing the foods in the same meal cause an issue or is that the way to go?

Any suggestions on a smooth transition to RAW is appreciated.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You can totally switch cold turkey to raw. There might be a little tummy upset but I never had any issues when I did that with Jax. Louie gets kibble in the morning and raw at night and I have not had any issues.

Also, Cytopoint injections are safer than Apoquel. Jax gets the Cytopoint every 7-8 weeks as he has really bad environmental allergies and going raw wasn't enough.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can totally switch cold turkey to raw. There might be a little tummy upset but I never had any issues when I did that with Jax. Louie gets kibble in the morning and raw at night and I have not had any issues.

Also, Cytopoint injections are safer than Apoquel. Jax gets the Cytopoint every 7-8 weeks as he has really bad environmental allergies and going raw wasn't enough.

Thanks for the response. My vet just talked to me about Cytopoint at our last appointment. It does sound better than the Apoquel as far as how it works within the body. But it is $100 per shot and I'm hoping to save the medication expense since the food is going to cost quite a bit more than the Fromm pork and peas kibble. Crossing my fingers that going RAW does the trick.

Something else I just thought about...is there any issues with the dog licking people when they eat raw food? Obviously if they licked someone right after eating they could pass on the bacteria from the food, but in general is it anything to worry about?

Also, what about changing protein sources...can you just change from one to another on raw or do you need to make gradual changes? I'm just wondering in case the beef food doesn't seem to do the trick then I'm going to probably try the lamb.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Apoquel for about 3 years is wayyyyy too long! Good gut you have there ! Also, you donā€™t need to do all that transition since itā€™s raw. I feed mine frozen raw to avoid IF any bacteria. Little 1/2lb blocks. Regarding health issues read upon the thread attached. Sure helps our dogs from taking too much meds... all about maintenance.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the link.

Are you saying that you feed the raw food while it is still frozen? I thought I read that they won't digest the food properly if it is frozen when they ingest it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the link.

Are you saying that you feed the raw food while it is still frozen? I thought I read that they won't digest the food properly if it is frozen when they ingest it.

Yes I feed from frozen n no problem digesting. Also great for their teeth...makes them chew. I know some will semi thaw their food but I always gave it straight from the freezer. Also their whole herrings or tripe is always given frozen. Iā€™m in the food industry and the things I hear n see from cross contaminationā€™s which is caused 90% by humans. So no, frozen all the way for Nyala n Duke. Even their marrow bones are given frozen. When theyā€™re done they go in the fridge for next day if they havenā€™t eaten all the marrow. They both have stomachs like steel.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the response. My vet just talked to me about Cytopoint at our last appointment. It does sound better than the Apoquel as far as how it works within the body. But it is $100 per shot and I'm hoping to save the medication expense since the food is going to cost quite a bit more than the Fromm pork and peas kibble. Crossing my fingers that going RAW does the trick.

Something else I just thought about...is there any issues with the dog licking people when they eat raw food? Obviously if they licked someone right after eating they could pass on the bacteria from the food, but in general is it anything to worry about?

Also, what about changing protein sources...can you just change from one to another on raw or do you need to make gradual changes? I'm just wondering in case the beef food doesn't seem to do the trick then I'm going to probably try the lamb.

You can also try baths with a medicated shampoo to help with skin issues. I like to rotate between Ketohex and Chlorohexidine.

Some people might feel differently but Iā€™ve never worried about getting bacteria transferred from them eating raw and then giving kisses. I always wipe Louieā€™s mouth after he eats but thatā€™s more because he is so messy and you want to keep a bulldogā€™s face clean and dry to avoid other issues. But I rarely wipe Jaxā€™s face and we always give kisses. Do what you are comfortable with.

You definitely want to rotate between at least 3 different proteins. But only do 1 at a time so youā€™ll know if there are any issues. I would do 1 protein for at least two weeks straight if not more, then do the same with another protein and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can also try baths with a medicated shampoo to help with skin issues. I like to rotate between Ketohex and Chlorohexidine.

Some people might feel differently but Iā€™ve never worried about getting bacteria transferred from them eating raw and then giving kisses. I always wipe Louieā€™s mouth after he eats but thatā€™s more because he is so messy and you want to keep a bulldogā€™s face clean and dry to avoid other issues. But I rarely wipe Jaxā€™s face and we always give kisses. Do what you are comfortable with.

You definitely want to rotate between at least 3 different proteins. But only do 1 at a time so youā€™ll know if there are any issues. I would do 1 protein for at least two weeks straight if not more, then do the same with another protein and so on.

Thanks for info. I'll give the beef food 3-4 weeks, unless I see issues, then try another protein.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I feed from frozen n no problem digesting. Also great for their teeth...makes them chew. I know some will semi thaw their food but I always gave it straight from the freezer. Also their whole herrings or tripe is always given frozen. Iā€™m in the food industry and the things I hear n see from cross contaminationā€™s which is caused 90% by humans. So no, frozen all the way for Nyala n Duke. Even their marrow bones are given frozen. When theyā€™re done they go in the fridge for next day if they havenā€™t eaten all the marrow. They both have stomachs like steel.

Thanks for the additional info.

MDTX Bulldogges

Nov 21, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose, Luna, Apollo, Cadance, Rarity & Tyson
When we switched from kibble to raw, we had to add pumpkin puree to stop the runny poop. Within a day, we were back on track. Also for skin issues, we have used 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water. cleared up dry skin right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add- Goats milk or kefir is also great for the skin issues. :)

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
When we switched from kibble to raw, we had to add pumpkin puree to stop the runny poop. Within a day, we were back on track. Also for skin issues, we have used 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water. cleared up dry skin right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add- Goats milk or kefir is also great for the skin issues. :)

Thanks!

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola loves the Primal Raw food but she has become constipated. Her poop is like really big rabbit turds. I have been giving her about 1 tablespoon of canned 100% pumpkin with every meal since I started transitioning her to the raw food and tonight she puked up what looked like the volume of her dinner tonight and her breakfast from this morning. I also just noticed that she has not been drinking as much water, hardly any at all, since starting the raw food.

Any suggestions? Iā€™m sure more water would help but I canā€™t force her to drink more water.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola loves the Primal Raw food but she has become constipated. Her poop is like really big rabbit turds. I have been giving her about 1 tablespoon of canned 100% pumpkin with every meal since I started transitioning her to the raw food and tonight she puked up what looked like the volume of her dinner tonight and her breakfast from this morning. I also just noticed that she has not been drinking as much water, hardly any at all, since starting the raw food.

Any suggestions? Iā€™m sure more water would help but I canā€™t force her to drink more water.

Drinking less water is common while eating raw as raw already contains so much moisture.

Is she having trouble pooping? They definitely go less while eating raw. If she is struggling to poop, she might need more food or maybe the bone content is too high for.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She is still going once per day but it is a small amount and it is like a bunch of little rabbit turds.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
She is still going once per day but it is a small amount and it is like a bunch of little rabbit turds.

But is she struggling to get it out? Iā€™ve heard of dogs having rabbit turds with raw.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

She needs fiber. You need to balance it out. Why fresh (not can) green beans needs to be added to her meals or frozen berries. Their poop is like little hard nuggets and itā€™s normal. Drinking water will be a lot less as mentioned as raw is all moisture. Thatā€™s normal too. But doadd greens to the meal or apples etc. :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online