Keithlan1978

Apr 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Hi everyone

Looking to swap Debo onto a raw diet, at the moment heā€™s on hills Science Plan dried/kibble but after a lot of reading and researching we want to get him on raw food

Thereā€™s a raw food shop close by that sells it all and does in 500g boxes and 1kg bags which is ideal but I just have a few questions

1) heā€™s been tried on chicken dried/kibble food and also chicken treats and cooked chicken and all of them donā€™t seem to agree with him as they come out quicker than they went in and very runny so my question is would raw have the same effect?

2) the raw food shop is saying on week 1 that heā€™ll just get meat with no offel or bone and as each week progresses it will get introduced to his raw and I think by week 3 heā€™ll have bone in his raw but I know the bone is to firm up his stool so is this correct or should he have bone in it from the day he starts?

3) Debo really eats his food quick so Iā€™m worried about him choking when heā€™s on raw especially with the bone, will he naturally learn to eat it slower to avoid this or if not does anyone have any suggestions

4) also is it normal to change the meat in the raw food every 5-7 days like the shop says or do you guys keep them on the same once you find one they like and are comfortable with?

Thanks everyone

P.S Debo is 6 months old

Attachments

• 5BB38DCA-E96A-45B8-A90D-D8417722EBEB.jpeg
    5BB38DCA-E96A-45B8-A90D-D8417722EBEB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 198

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
1) heā€™s been tried on chicken dried/kibble food and also chicken treats and cooked chicken and all of them donā€™t seem to agree with him as they come out quicker than they went in and very runny so my question is would raw have the same effect? Some people say that just because there is an issue with a protein in kibble, it doesn't mean there will be an issue with raw. Some people also say that different brands can give different results. Jax had an issue with turkey kibble but I have never tried turkey raw just to be on the safe side so I have no idea if there is any truth to this. Some bulldogs tend to have issues with chicken as it is so you can probably just go with something else.

2) the raw food shop is saying on week 1 that heā€™ll just get meat with no offel or bone and as each week progresses it will get introduced to his raw and I think by week 3 heā€™ll have bone in his raw but I know the bone is to firm up his stool so is this correct or should he have bone in it from the day he starts? When I switched my guys to raw, they had bone and organs from day one and never had any issues.

3) Debo really eats his food quick so Iā€™m worried about him choking when heā€™s on raw especially with the bone, will he naturally learn to eat it slower to avoid this or if not does anyone have any suggestions. If you are feeding whole prey, bulldogs tend to be gulpers so choking can always be an issue. I feed raw patties or ground raw that already has the appropriate ration of meat, bones and organs already ground up and ready to go.

4) also is it normal to change the meat in the raw food every 5-7 days like the shop says or do you guys keep them on the same once you find one they like and are comfortable with? If you are testing out what proteins Debo can tolerate, you can do 1 protein a month to see how he does. But generally, when feeding raw you should rotate between at least 3-4 different proteins. It all balances out over time so you can do one protein for a couple weeks, then switch or give a couple proteins in a week, etc.

OP
K

Keithlan1978

Apr 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
1) heā€™s been tried on chicken dried/kibble food and also chicken treats and cooked chicken and all of them donā€™t seem to agree with him as they come out quicker than they went in and very runny so my question is would raw have the same effect? Some people say that just because there is an issue with a protein in kibble, it doesn't mean there will be an issue with raw. Some people also say that different brands can give different results. Jax had an issue with turkey kibble but I have never tried turkey raw just to be on the safe side so I have no idea if there is any truth to this. Some bulldogs tend to have issues with chicken as it is so you can probably just go with something else.

2) the raw food shop is saying on week 1 that heā€™ll just get meat with no offel or bone and as each week progresses it will get introduced to his raw and I think by week 3 heā€™ll have bone in his raw but I know the bone is to firm up his stool so is this correct or should he have bone in it from the day he starts? When I switched my guys to raw, they had bone and organs from day one and never had any issues.

3) Debo really eats his food quick so Iā€™m worried about him choking when heā€™s on raw especially with the bone, will he naturally learn to eat it slower to avoid this or if not does anyone have any suggestions. If you are feeding whole prey, bulldogs tend to be gulpers so choking can always be an issue. I feed raw patties or ground raw that already has the appropriate ration of meat, bones and organs already ground up and ready to go.

4) also is it normal to change the meat in the raw food every 5-7 days like the shop says or do you guys keep them on the same once you find one they like and are comfortable with? If you are testing out what proteins Debo can tolerate, you can do 1 protein a month to see how he does. But generally, when feeding raw you should rotate between at least 3-4 different proteins. It all balances out over time so you can do one protein for a couple weeks, then switch or give a couple proteins in a week, etc.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it and great advice

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

great info provided :up:

Annebell44

Mar 18, 2018
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Remi
CBrugs spot on great info! I switched my bulldog to raw roughly 3 months ago and am soooooooo happy with doing so. I did a lot of research prior and actually joined this bulldog website prior to switching and received great information from everyone here when it come to questions about a raw food diet. When I did switch though we did put her on turkey with bone and organs and have just introduced her with veggies and have had great success. Best of luck I think you will be happy

OP
K

Keithlan1978

Apr 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Thanks everyone for the comments, Debo has been on raw for 2 days now and is like a completely different dog, just wish Iā€™d of done it sooner but better late than never as they say haha

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
omg that was GROSS!!! and,,,,, Ultimate turkey?? Canadian thing? Always interested in another source that may cross our country lines ;)

Ultimate meaning itā€™s balanced with organs, bones and all that ewwwww stuff. Lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ultimate meaning itā€™s balanced with organs, bones and all that ewwwww stuff. Lol

I just got some ground quail to try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ground quail? Barely any meat on that. Lol.

Hahaha...it is a little bone heavy so Iā€™d just give once or twice a week. I like to give variety and was just so excited to come across something new.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hahaha...it is a little bone heavy so Iā€™d just give once or twice a week. I like to give variety and was just so excited to come across something new.

We Italians have stuff quail at Xmas time. I try to select other meals on the table as I find it too complicated to eat quail. But great idea for the dogs. Just give it frozen and voila.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.