Raw Diet???

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Hi Everyone.. I hope i am posting this to the right place. I am a newbie to the sight.. this is my second post in which everyone was so helpful with my other questions so... i have 1 more..

i took my joe joe to his spa treatment today.. i was talking to the groomer who recommended a raw food diet.. they have it packaged there at the groomer. Does anyone do this raw diet. I have never heard of it before.. i went home and did some research on it but it makes me very nervous.. the groomer said that it would cut down on the allergies and joey would b more comfortable and less ear infections and vet bills... can anyone give me some advice??:confused:

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Its a great diet for most dogs, but takes alot of dedication on the part of the owner.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have tried the raw diet from Nature's Variety and they LOVED it, but there is always more of a risk of getting bacteria like ecoli and such with it, and with the kibble the difference I saw was none= so I decided it was not worth the risk ultimately.

I do give them a raw patty (I divide this patty between 5 dogs) to put on top of their food about once a week.

Now the REAL raw diet I would never touch- (like not using prepackaged stuff, but using real raw food). But others have used it with success.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
We chose the raw diet route for Stig because of his allergies. We tried a few different types of food and although he was doing a lot better than what the breeder had him on, he was still reacting somewhat. What the raw diet it supposed to do is eliminate alot of the supplements and additives that are in kibble food. The prepackaged ones are good but I find them expensive in the long run. And yes, the 'real' raw isn't for everyone, especially for the ones with weak tummies. lol. It took a while for my bf and I to not get too squeamish whenever Stig ate. And even after 3 months of feeding raw, I still update myself on the do's and don'ts of it.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I have a friend that has a pitbull and he has had so many allergies! She now feeds him the raw diet. She swears by it.On the other hand she doesnt have any kids and she can go leave work whenever to do this. I really couldnt do this because it takes a lot of time. I have a busy life and could not do it.

OP
J

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Thanks Everyone. It just concerns me with the raw product and bacteria even though there is bacteria everywhere. The way the groomer made it sound was that it was the best thing for him. I know it is very expensive also. It was almost $15.00 for 5 lb and Joey would need 1.5 to 2 lbs per day. Also, I am also concerned about the bones in the food. Joey chokes on his kibble now sometimes and I am afraid of him choking. I am def gonna have to do more research.. Thanks Again for the responses.

If anyone else has anymore advice, that would b great!

Sandy and Joey

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I considered a raw diet for my bullies but, in the end, I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - I could just not deal with the risks associated with raw feeding. Bacterial and choking hazards plus the mess it creates was just not worth it for me.

Also, with the prepackaged raw, the kind you are discussing that comes in a roll form - it really is SO expensive! I can't imagine feeding that as anything but a topper to kibble.

What are you feeding Joey now, [MENTION=2129]JoeysMom[/MENTION] if I may ask? Do you think a change is dry kibble might help curb the allergies?

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I had Bruno on all types of grain free foods from Taste of the wild, Natural Balance, Wellness, Fromm and although it helped with the little bumps all over his body it didn't go away completely.
I switched over to RAW. I switched him over from kibble from one day to another. It was the absolute BEST thing I did for him. I feed him ground beef, chicken,lamb, veggies,fruits and eggs and a multivitamin every day.
His bumps are all gone. His poop is great. He put on nice muscle mass ( 60 lbs) and his bumps are all gone.

I make a 40 pound batch at a time. Fill plastic sandwich bags, flatten them all, freeze them and store them all. I give him one bag in the am and one in the pm with veggies or fresh fruit as snacks in between.

OP
J

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
I am currently feeding him natures variety venison.. I have tried everything including natural balance, blue, science diet, and a some I can't remember.. He seems to like this one( venison) but it has not done anything for his skin.. He has been itching so bad and losing patches of hair.. (it makes me so upset to c him b so uncomfortable) Before I switch his food again I wanted to get some advice..

OP
J

JoeysMom

Mar 31, 2011
Long island, ny
Bulldog(s) Names
Joseph Harley (Joey)
Lol.. High is protein!
The grasshoppers and worms I mean...

I don't know if I have the stomach either..

Last edited:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=2129]JoeysMom[/MENTION] - So it sounds like you are feeding him the Nature's Variety Prairie Venison? Did you think of trying the Nature's Variety Instinct, which is grain, gluten, and potato free? I feed my bullies Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb formula and it has made a real difference in my older bulldog, Linus' allergy problems. It might be worth a try.

I am also impressed with [MENTION=1104]jortiz9758[/MENTION] suggestion on how to feed raw - it sounds really manageable when you put it that way, especially since Bruno had such tough allergy problems.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I had Bruno on all types of grain free foods from Taste of the wild, Natural Balance, Wellness, Fromm and although it helped with the little bumps all over his body it didn't go away completely.
I switched over to RAW. I switched him over from kibble from one day to another. It was the absolute BEST thing I did for him. I feed him ground beef, chicken,lamb, veggies,fruits and eggs and a multivitamin every day.
His bumps are all gone. His poop is great. He put on nice muscle mass ( 60 lbs) and his bumps are all gone.

I make a 40 pound batch at a time. Fill plastic sandwich bags, flatten them all, freeze them and store them all. I give him one bag in the am and one in the pm with veggies or fresh fruit as snacks in between.

I am happy to hear Bruno is all healed up! Did I miss that post previously? Congrats and big hugs for Bruno!

P.S. You should make a new post with the exact recipe on how for Bruno's new diet! Sounds great!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@jortiz9758 - It seems like Stig and Bruno had the same ailments. Did you have to buy a freezer too just for him? We had to. =)

@JoeysMom - Another way not to worry about bones is to buy a meat grinder and grind everything, including the bones. I think I saw a youtube video of someone doing that. I don't think a grinder costs much. It's around $150 here for a really good one so I can imagine them being really cheap where you are. And most likely that in the long run, grinding the meat yourself will cost a lot cheaper than buying the pre-packaged ones.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I didnt have to buy another freezer. I just simply mix all the ingredients together. Place them in sandwich bags and flatten them out so they are easier to thaw out.
The 40 pound batch gives me quite a few bags of food but they all fit stacked one on top of each other neatly in the freezer. Next time I make a batch I will take a few pictures and share.

Below is who I bought Bruno from. He only feeds his bullies RAW. He suggested I do the same when I got him, but I didn't listen. I really was not crazy about the idea or about the work involved. I decided to give it a go.... doesnt take long at all. Best thing I ever did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUneIEgMS6o

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.