Took the dive into raw feeding

LucyLucy

Mar 2, 2018
Buffalo, New York
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lucy's first box of raw foods showed up yesterday and she had her first meal of raw foods. We had been adding some goat milk kiefer to her food over the last couple of days. Her first meal consisted of ground green tripe supreme with green tripe, muscle meat, organs, bone, gullet and trachea. Added some warmed up green beans and the kiefer as a topping. She ate it all happily and it was the first time she ate the green beans. I had never warmed them before though. They feed her some canned pumpkin as desert. She did not have any issues as far as I could tell. He stools after were smaller and dark brown. Just changed over cold turkey and seems to going well. As far as reactions is there anything to look for besides hives, stool changes, pink color, etc.

I will keep everyone posted

Brian image.jpeg

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Love the spot on top of her head!! :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you, the breeder told my son that it was a turbo button for the zoomies

I called Dukeā€™s button ā€œeasy buttonā€ but heā€™s not easy. :no:

Your box, is it all tripe supreme ? Once in a while you might want to add fish oil. I buy frozen herring n cut it in half as a whole is too much. Becomes almost a meal. Also donā€™t over heat your green beans as youā€™ll kill all vitamins in it. You can also give it frozen. Stools will be little nuggets and if you see they are too hard youā€™ll need to up the fiber. I add fruits as a snack. Frozen berries, apples, pears etc.

OP
LucyLucy

LucyLucy

Mar 2, 2018
Buffalo, New York
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thank you for the advice ordered a bunch of different things. Have a second box on the way that has ground herring in it. Also duck feet, ground emu, ground turkey, turkey necks, etc. I read to start with the same protein for several days so figured I would feed the tripe beef mix for the first two days (feeding twice per day). Then switch to a beef mix with muscle meat, bone and organ. Today when I feed her for breakfast she seemed real hungry and ready to eat. The food was little bit frozen. She at it pretty quick. Then a couple minutes after she are she vomited a chunk of it. It did have some yellow bile and some white foam. I would say it was half the meal. I am thinking I need to thaw better and to feeder her a bit later ate night - dinner was at 5 pm and breakfast at 6 am. Thinking that was too much of a gap.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the advice ordered a bunch of different things. Have a second box on the way that has ground herring in it. Also duck feet, ground emu, ground turkey, turkey necks, etc. I read to start with the same protein for several days so figured I would feed the tripe beef mix for the first two days (feeding twice per day). Then switch to a beef mix with muscle meat, bone and organ. Today when I feed her for breakfast she seemed real hungry and ready to eat. The food was little bit frozen. She at it pretty quick. Then a couple minutes after she are she vomited a chunk of it. It did have some yellow bile and some white foam. I would say it was half the meal. I am thinking I need to thaw better and to feeder her a bit later ate night - dinner was at 5 pm and breakfast at 6 am. Thinking that was too much of a gap.

Great to hear she is transition well... the bile is usually a sign of empty belly so either not feeding enough or as you said too much of gap in time between meals.

keep us posted... she sure is a beauty

OP
LucyLucy

LucyLucy

Mar 2, 2018
Buffalo, New York
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thank you for the advice. The transition still is going well. She finished her first container of tripe supreme and is now eating ground beef supreme (muscle meet, ground bone, gullet, trachea, kidney and liver). Spaced out her meals better and am trying to do some snacks to reduce the potential for hunger pukes. She has not vomited since that first morning.

One thing I was wondering was if anyone have given homemade sweet potato chews to their bullies? I read a lot that people think the starch from them converts to sugar then yeast but was wondering everyone's opinion.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the advice. The transition still is going well. She finished her first container of tripe supreme and is now eating ground beef supreme (muscle meet, ground bone, gullet, trachea, kidney and liver). Spaced out her meals better and am trying to do some snacks to reduce the potential for hunger pukes. She has not vomited since that first morning.

One thing I was wondering was if anyone have given homemade sweet potato chews to their bullies? I read a lot that people think the starch from them converts to sugar then yeast but was wondering everyone's opinion.

To know IF your bully has an allergy towards a specific protein (which she might not either) try a two weekish on same proteins so you can monitor while still a pup. Much easier. Also you donā€™t need to thaw out the meals n give it frozen. Unless you need to split the pack up for the day. Then thatā€™s another thing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

i had heard and read both... my girl was allergic to potatoes but she never had an issue with sweet potato, there were times she got them as treats when I wasnā€™t able to stop a nice person, but she never had any issues.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] ... thoughts

OP
LucyLucy

LucyLucy

Mar 2, 2018
Buffalo, New York
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I had made the home made sweet potato chews about 1 month ago and given them to her and she loved them and did not have any issues with the exception of tear stains which she has had since we got her. The tear stains do not seem to bother her and she seems to be doing well but I would like to transition of store made treats and I thought the sweet potato chews could be an option along with duck feet. Maybe better safe than sorry on the. Sweet potatoes.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I had made the home made sweet potato chews about 1 month ago and given them to her and she loved them and did not have any issues with the exception of tear stains which she has had since we got her. The tear stains do not seem to bother her and she seems to be doing well but I would like to transition of store made treats and I thought the sweet potato chews could be an option along with duck feet. Maybe better safe than sorry on the. Sweet potatoes.

If you make it yourself itā€™s always better than store bought. Sweet potatoes, to hole them together, you will need a starch. All starch is bad!!! Like when you order sweet potato fries, they will almost all dissolve if fried as sweet potatoes donā€™t have natural starch like other potatoes. Why cut up fries will be sprinkled with starch before fried or keep the peel on when roasting etc. (Btw red potatoes have less starch than any other regular potatoes). I personally donā€™t give sweet potatoes to my dogs. Anyway Nyala doesnā€™t like them. I tend to stay away from carbs. As back when Nyala ā€˜s homemade meals use to have sweet potatoes and I noticed she was getting fat. Took them out of her meals. A snack is ok if you make them yourself as you control whatā€™s in them especially sodium which companies donā€™t need to mention as ingredients. Why donā€™t you give/make dry liver? Dogs goes nuts for that and will do whatever you want. :)

Btw, for tear stains, Iā€™ve tried every gadget under the sun and nothing worked. Since heā€™s been eating tripe as a snack n acv in the water, stains are gone! And even if you think as you mentioned ā€œdoesnā€™t seem to bother herā€ it will eventually as itā€™s yeast sitting there if not cleaned daily n dried daily. Yeast starts small n grows.

OP
LucyLucy

LucyLucy

Mar 2, 2018
Buffalo, New York
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
It has been about three weeks into our raw feeding journey. We feed a turkey neck for the first time tonite. It was about 12 inches and she ate a bit more than half. I put the other half in a bag in the fridge. Does anyone cut them in half if they are 12 inches? She is doing really well on the raw diet even though we are still fighting the tear stains - we add ACV to her morning meal and give tripe once or twice a week and they are still hanging on. She also was spayed last Thursday so we are trying to keep her from running around but because she feels better from it that is a challenge.image.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It has been about three weeks into our raw feeding journey. We feed a turkey neck for the first time tonite. It was about 12 inches and she ate a bit more than half. I put the other half in a bag in the fridge. Does anyone cut them in half if they are 12 inches? She is doing really well on the raw diet even though we are still fighting the tear stains - we add ACV to her morning meal and give tripe once or twice a week and they are still hanging on. She also was spayed last Thursday so we are trying to keep her from running around but because she feels better from it that is a challenge.View attachment 111709

I give tripe as a snack n acv in their drinking water. Takes time trust me. Trick is to always keep all folds it dry n chin. I buy chicken necks frozen but only 5ā€long. I five it frozen never thawed. Re-freeze the other portion.

buttercp21

Feb 9, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Lucy's first box of raw foods showed up yesterday and she had her first meal of raw foods. We had been adding some goat milk kiefer to her food over the last couple of days. Her first meal consisted of ground green tripe supreme with green tripe, muscle meat, organs, bone, gullet and trachea. Added some warmed up green beans and the kiefer as a topping. She ate it all happily and it was the first time she ate the green beans. I had never warmed them before though. They feed her some canned pumpkin as desert. She did not have any issues as far as I could tell. He stools after were smaller and dark brown. Just changed over cold turkey and seems to going well. As far as reactions is there anything to look for besides hives, stool changes, pink color, etc.

I will keep everyone posted

BrianView attachment 111288
Where are you ordering your raw from?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.