SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
Hello everyone, can someone please share a sample meal for a 4 month old puppy. the breeder was feeding him a very cheap dog food and I'm switching him over to raw.
I'm not sure what bones he can eat at this age, I did read all the old post on here but I'm not sure what part of the meal counts as 80% meat and what's considered 10% bone? Would a chicken wing be enough bone for the meal?

I use to grind my old Bulldogs food, but I think I'm ready to just do raw! Just need few examples of what a meal should look like. Thank you!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I feed raw but I get frozen and it's already ground up with the complete ratio so I of am no help bu I am sure someone will chime in soon.

But I noticed you are in San Bernardino? I grew up in Redlands and lived in Colton for awhile before moving to Seattle in 2003.

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
Im in Rancho Cucamonga! My husband loves Seattle he visit for work, he always says he would like to move up there.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I also buy frozen raw as portions are already calculated for you.i give marrow bones only as a chew toy.

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
I also buy frozen raw as portions are already calculated for you.i give marrow bones only as a chew toy.

Do you buy it from your local store or online? Is everything grinned up or bones are still a whole piece?
Thank you!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you buy it from your local store or online? Is everything grinned up or bones are still a whole piece? Thank you!!

I buy it at my pet shop. Pet Valu. Called Canivore. Frozen patties. Might be another brand in the US. Not sure. Plus they have marrow bones with meat on them. Called " meal on bone " My dogs eat raw in the morning n raw snack at lunch. Then Acana for supper. I dont give what is recommended on the pattie bags. Says 2 patties per day 50lb dog. I give one pattie between both in the morning with 2/3 cups of grassland or lamb Acana or just raw. Lunch both get chicken neck n green tripe. Supper 2/3cup of Acana. Sometimes they gets fresh fruits like bananas, apples, carrots and liver, heart etc. Oh n yes the patties have bones already grind in them.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Im in Rancho Cucamonga! My husband loves Seattle he visit for work, he always says he would like to move up there.

The good ol' Inland Empire lol.

I buy raw frozen patties as well, usually from a local store. I mainly use the Vital Essentials and Tucker's brands. I will occasionally buy bison patties online from bigbearpet.com just because I can't get it locally. But the commercial frozen brands already have the complete ratio of meat/bone/organ so you don't have to worry about calculating it. There are places you can order online but if you're not nearby, the shipping can be outrageous.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Just thought to mention that it's better to freeze marrow bones first to kill any parasites, and then either serve frozen or thawed.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just thought to mention that it's better to freeze marrow bones first to kill any parasites, and then either serve frozen or thawed.

Yes you're correct. I omitted that part. Duhhhh me. I still give it frozen though. I trust frozen anytime comparing to thaw. But that's me. Thanks for catching this n posting it!!! :2thumbs:

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
I buy it at my pet shop. Pet Valu. Called Canivore. Frozen patties. Might be another brand in the US. Not sure. Plus they have marrow bones with meat on them. Called " meal on bone " My dogs eat raw in the morning n raw snack at lunch. Then Acana for supper. I dont give what is recommended on the pattie bags. Says 2 patties per day 50lb dog. I give one pattie between both in the morning with 2/3 cups of grassland or lamb Acana or just raw. Lunch both get chicken neck n green tripe. Supper 2/3cup of Acana. Sometimes they gets fresh fruits like bananas, apples, carrots and liver, heart etc. Oh n yes the patties have bones already grind in them.

I ended up grinding up some whole chickens for now. But thank you I'm looking at my local
Stores for something similar like yours!

OP
S

SoCalLily

Jun 29, 2015
California
Country
San Bernardino
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter and Renzo
The good ol' Inland Empire lol.

I buy raw frozen patties as well, usually from a local store. I mainly use the Vital Essentials and Tucker's brands. I will occasionally buy bison patties online from bigbearpet.com just because I can't get it locally. But the commercial frozen brands already have the complete ratio of meat/bone/organ so you don't have to worry about calculating it. There are places you can order online but if you're not nearby, the shipping can be outrageous.

Lol it's been about 100 degrees lately :no:

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm looking around to see if I can find something similar, I just ended up grinding up whole chickens today. but I hope to find something similar to your patties seems a lot easier!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol it's been about 100 degrees lately :no:

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm looking around to see if I can find something similar, I just ended up grinding up whole chickens today. but I hope to find something similar to your patties seems a lot easier!

Feed it frozen!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I've been feeding it frozen but just wondering if I can throw his meal the night before in the fridge? Just so it's not too frozen, or is it safer frozen?

Frozen kills all bacteria n parasites. Why you feed frozen. Im in the food industry any there is NO way I would thaw out meat for my dogs. Ive seen too many issues. It's not like in the wild wolves hunting their dinner. There's no humans involved. But that's me. I never had issues with frozen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.