djangosmamma

Mar 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django
Hey everyone! Newbie here! ::waves::

I have just started my 1+ bully boy on a raw diet. Everything is going really well, but I am scared to DEATH to give him bones! I'm afraid he'll choke or have some digestive issue. (His jaw alignment is pretty good, but he's definitely an inhaler.) How do you guys do it? Do you cut them up into pieces? I read some people grind them up but...? Sounds like it would require some heavy machinery... Would high grade bone meal be a good substitute for the calcium?

Also, I was thinking giving him a supplement on the side would be good to hedge those nutritional bets. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello newbie and welcome to EBN!! Let me tag someone that feeds his dogs raw. There are also others will help you. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How are you feeding the bone matter? Some dogs have Will learn to chew before swallowing and some don't. Some Will swallow big chunks, regurgitate and chew and eat again. That's ok if YOU can stomach it...I can't So I buy bone matter that has Been grind.

OP
D

djangosmamma

Mar 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django
Re: Raw Feeding & Bones ?!!

Well, I haven't tried bone matter at all yet. Wanted to get some input on the matter. :)

We've been doing the diet for about a week now. I was mixing raw chicken, yogurt, broccoli, coconut oil, with his kibble. Just today we've gone to a kibble free bowl, and so far so good.

So butchers sell ground bones? I will have to investigate that in my area. Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much!!! :)

OP
D

djangosmamma

Mar 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django
I guess my question is also what is the nutritional importance of the bones? Calcium? Minerals?

I've ordered the Give A Dog a Bone book but it won't be here for a few more business days.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
From what I read, bones are rather dangerous for dogs even if dog can chew properly (what is not the case with bullies). Pieces of bones can damage the intestines, it is rare, but possible complication. Then it is a life threatening condition and expensive surgery. My Irish setter died of this condition and I blamed myself for feeding him crushed raw chicken necks. SO, I'm 100 percent with you about being scared to death to risk my precious furball.
Nutritional value of bones is quite low, and mostly they are used as regulators of poop density.

IMG_0040.JPG

give my boy only enormous size beef bones to satisfy his biting instinct, so he just scratches it and cannot bite anything, but for calcium he gets bone powder. It is safer.

OP
D

djangosmamma

Mar 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django
Aha, excellent and thank you! Bone meal sounds much safer.

I am SO sorry to hear about your Irish setter. :(

Also, that picture is amazing! haha. What a cutie! :)

Thanks!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I give my Frenchie raw but I get pre-made patties so it's all completely balanced and everything is ground up. You want 80% meat/10% bone/10% organs for it to be a balanced meal.

OP
D

djangosmamma

Mar 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django
To give an update with our progress:

I found out that the raw bones are important not just for calcium but enzymes and other goodies in the marrow.

I tried giving Django a chicken wing to see if he would chew it, and he just INHALED. Blinked. And did that bully smile, lol, the stinker.

So now I have been cutting up legs, wings, thighs, with a clever into bite size pieces. I feel around and take out any sharp bits, but otherwise I just let him have it, and he has been doing SO well. Poops are so nice and solid! And he seems happier and more energetic. He never really got excited about his kibble, but boy howdy when he hears the thump of the cleaver in the kitchen he starts barking for his breakfast!

I'm also giving him coconut oil, and veggies, liver, apples, and other tidbits. Not all at once, but interspersed. I read in the BARF book that too much calcium can interfere with absorption of the other nutrients in veggies and organs. He's not a big fan of veggies, but chopped fine and mixed with eggs or yogurt he will eat them up.

His interdigital cysts are improving and he doesn't seem to be losing patches of his hair anymore, so I think we're on to a good thing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.