Transitioning to raw with digestive issuess

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Hi! My bulldog is currently recovering from gastric ulcers and has IBS. He is off all his meds now and I just give him slippery elm to help completely heal the ulcers. I want to transition him to a dehydrated raw diet. Everything I read says to consult a vet if you want to transition a dog with digestive issues. My vet isn't a fan of the raw diet though and I can't find any protocols online. I've started giving him a few pieces of tripe a day but I'm not sure where to go from here... any suggestions?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Your tripe, I presume it's white? If it is, you're feeding bleached tripe to your dog. Real tripe is green and smells like hell. Because of inspection issues with tripe, no butcher will work with tripe but bleach it. Pointless. Unless you live on a farm and do it yourself, I would understand. Im in the food industry and I know here in Canada, no one will risk it cause of bacterias. I seen some in cans and I bought one for Nyala. But was just that one.

Hang in there other members who feeds raw will answer you for the transition. :)

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
No it's freeze dried green tripe, and yep the smell is awful. I get it from Metro Pet Market in Regina Saskatchewan - it's a local pet Heath food store. It's the K9 natural brand.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
No it's freeze dried green tripe, and yep the smell is awful. I get it from Metro Pet Market in Regina Saskatchewan - it's a local pet Heath food store. It's the K9 natural brand.

Ok cool. Odd here in AB and a lot of other provinces cant. I will check into that. Thanks! Will tag other members to help you with raw.
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I just found some freeze dry in AB. Go figure it's in where I buy Nyala's honest kitchen. Like duhhhh me lolll... had no clue they did it freeze dry. Thanks again!

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
Awesome! So far I'm just giving him a few pieces a day as I'm unsure of how I should be transitioning him to the dehydrated raw

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Tripe is good, the smellier the better. Grain - and dairyfree is a must and even vegatables like potatoes and such are not recommended. I'm not familiar on all what is available in the US, but from hat I've heard this Honest Kitchen sounds good. Probiotics are very important (my recomendation is fresh sauerkraute) and I would try digestive enzymes as well.

DogAware.com Health: Digestive Disorders in Dogs Here's some good info too.

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
We have already picked the food we will be using - grand cru, it's a grain free fish formula. I'm just not sure how to transition him over due to his digestive issues.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Due to his issues I would go slowly like you would do when changing from a kibble to another kibble. Adding probiotics and digestive enzymes.

OP
D

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
So is it okay to mix his kibble with the dehydrated raw as he transitions? Or do I have to give it seperatley?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
It should be fine to mix.
If the dog is already having loose stool then my thought is, what difference does it make? I would just switch with no transitional period.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.