ndlv68

Dec 4, 2016
Arkansas
Country
'Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Hello...new guy here again. Back in the day, I got my first EB (Rocky) when I was stationed in England (retired military.) For the almost two and a half years we were in England with Rocky, we fed him kibble and green tripe. It was really foul smelling but we kept him on that diet because the breeder had his whole pack on it. I was able to get tripe from local butcher for free because I bought our meat from him. Rocky thrived on the diet.

When we moved to the states, we strted Rocky on srictly kibble. I went through different brands at different times (none of which are on your top 5 list) because he started getting ear infections and hot spots. Nothing major but did the allergy shots, special shampoo, etc. I think I knew it was the switch in diet but due to vet recommendations and high deployment rate, just dealt with it as much as we could.

Fast forward to the present time...Lulu (our beautiful lazy rescue) goes through frequent bouts of ear infections, paw licking, tear stains, etc. Yesterday, I bought a small bag of Fromms and am going to slowly switch her over from Blue Basics based kind of on what I read here. I also have a new puppy on the way in the March timeframe.

I am really interested in starting a raw diet for Lulu and the one to be named later but am at a loss on how much effort andtime tbis would take. I am a Police Officer and my wife Aneth also works full time.

I am hoping those who do RAW feeding or something similar could maybe give me the pros and cons of it and any other kind of information .

I did read over the articles you have in this section and others on the internet. Is it worth it? Is there a huge difference in RAW versus let's say FROMMS as far as benefits, pricing, etc. I understand pouring kibble into a bowl is a lot less work, but I don' t mind the work if the babies will benefit from it.

Looking forward to inputs and sorry for the long post. I am proud of myself for not using bad words on this post because if you could hear me speak in person, it might make you cringe. So there's that.

Again,, thanks!

OP
N

ndlv68

Dec 4, 2016
Arkansas
Country
'Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Just re-read my post after someone pointed out to me an unintended slight I may have done. Please do not think that I think feeding kibble is the lesser of the option..."pouring kibble into a bowl." I totally understand the research that everyone does here before they decide on a brand of food, and for that I applaud everyone. I only alluded to the kibble because, in my limited knowledge, once the research has been completed, and our bullies don't show any adverse reaction to the kibble, it would seem that it would be less work. That is all I meant. My bad brothers and sisters...:eek:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Just re-read my post after someone pointed out to me an unintended slight I may have done. Please do not think that I think feeding kibble is the lesser of the option..."pouring kibble into a bowl." I totally understand the research that everyone does here before they decide on a brand of food, and for that I applaud everyone. I only alluded to the kibble because, in my limited knowledge, once the research has been completed, and our bullies don't show any adverse reaction to the kibble, it would seem that it would be less work inductive. That is all I meant. My bad brothers and sisters...:eek:

We all understood what you meant. No need for explanation. It's all good. If we all can afford it we would all go raw, home cooking or with honest kitch. There is also "time" some don't have the time to cook either. So dont worry about it. As you know, some kibbles are good but if im gone for a few days my sons will give Nyala Acana Lamb. But it's topped with fresh organs, ginger, turmeric. I will tag others for you that feeds raw for their bullies.
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I like raw food the most since it's the most natural. It is very little prosessed and the ingredients are real ingredients that you can think of giving your dog even one at the time. The good kibble brands have that too, but they must be prosessed more to give shelf life and stay edible after the package is opened. Then you get the sh***y kibble where the first ingredient is corn or something like that and the rest is just chemistry. Usually it is not even corn then, but the stuff that is left over after it's manufactured in to some S**t for humans.

Here are three different randomly picked ingredient lists...what do you think...?

Vet prescription allergy kibble...
Corn starch, hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate, coconut oil, soybean oil, natural flavors, potassium phosphate, powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate, sodium silico aluminate, chicory, L-tyrosine, fructooligosaccharides, fish oil, L-lysine, choline chloride, taurine, L-tryptophan, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], DL-methionine, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), histidine, trace minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Limited ingredient good kibble...
Lamb meat (25%), dried lamb meat (21%), whole grain rice (20%), lamb fat, salmon oil, rice cones, apples, pears, blackberries, beetroot, eggs, Yucca Schidigera extract, MOS (Mannan oligosaccharides), FOS (Fructo Oligosaccharides), minerals. Still prosessed though....

A complete and balanced single protein raw meal for dogs....
Lamb (80%), Mint (4%), Peas (4%), Green Beans (4%), Apples (4%) Seaweed (1%) Spinach (1%) Yucca Extract, Green Tea Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Dicalcium Phosphate. Just frozen.

OP
N

ndlv68

Dec 4, 2016
Arkansas
Country
'Merica
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Wow...listing the ingredients like that make the differences stand out! Thank you for your input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We all understood what you meant. No need for explanation. It's all good. If we all can afford it we would all go raw, home cooking or with honest kitch. There is also "time" some don't have the time to cook either. So dont worry about it. As you know, some kibbles are good but if im gone for a few days my sons will give Nyala Acana Lamb. But it's topped with fresh organs, ginger, turmeric. I will tag others for you that feeds raw for their bullies.
@RiiSi @oscarmayer @rjisaterp

Helene...Thanks for the tag; however, Jewel and Bentley are not fed raw. Jewel is on a low-fat diet secondary to her hx (history) of pancreatitis. Bentley is currently on Fromm Pork and Applesauce. We have been moving around in the Fromm family of foods because Bentley is allergic to certain things we have found (i.e. beef and lamb so far).

Bullies are some kind of breed. One thing for sure, whoever said bullies are totally sedentary...I can disprove that assertion. Bentley is a total "Ball Junkie" and will run and run and run and run much like the energizer bunny.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Helene...Thanks for the tag; however, Jewel and Bentley are not fed raw. Jewel is on a low-fat diet secondary to her hx (history) of pancreatitis. Bentley is currently on Fromm Pork and Applesauce. We have been moving around in the Fromm family of foods because Bentley is allergic to certain things we have found (i.e. beef and lamb so far).

Bullies are some kind of breed. One thing for sure, whoever said bullies are totally sedentary...I can disprove that assertion. Bentley is a total "Ball Junkie" and will run and run and run and run much like the energizer bunny.

Oh sorry about that.so many post to read and who eats what like....:w00t: lol

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Oh sorry about that.so many post to read and who eats what like....:w00t: lol

No need to be sorry...I just made a clarification to the attributes I have and tried to keep a mental picture of our EBN members' attribute(s). But all the post-it notes cover my head and I get a lot of looks when walking down the street.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.