How much do you feed per day?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Expert raw feeders, please help!
Castor eats raw - we buy frozen lamb meat and organs and top up with dried carrots. Skin and digestion wise we seem to have found something that works well so I'm not looking into changing anything, only giving the guy more food. The recommendations for raw feeding here say about 2% of the dog's weight. Is that what you give too or do you give much more? Castor is very interested in his meat, which is great, and he gets almost 3% per day. My husband thinks he should have a lot more, however, and as long as Castor's tummy can take it I'm all for upping his portions. He's very slim so weight is not a problem (20 kilos).

So basically I just wonder if there is any disadvantage of upping portions and should we add more meat or would it be better to add veggies? Castor loves his food and would gladly eat more. He eats in two secs and then goes back and licks his plats a couple of times before realising it's empty.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I am not a raw feeder but have researched it and age factors in as well. How old is he? You feed them more when they are younger. You can tell if it is too much or too little by the ribs and waist definition. You want to be able to feel some rib and have a defined waist. You don't want to see rib.

Mine inhales his kibble too. Since I switched to bigger kibble I'm putting a ball in the middle so he eats slower.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How old is Castor? Just couple of days ago I was asking advice from EBN experienced home cookers. I found in one source (unfortunately, it is in Russian language) that for adolescents and active young dogs norm of raw or home cooked food can be up to 7% of their ideal weight. I am home cooking (beef and potato, only 2 components, as he is super allergic) for my boy for 3 months now, and last month he didn't gain weight on 900 g of food per day, he stayed at 21 kg. he is also very active, cannot believe bully can be active like him! So, I actually increased his portion to 1200 g per day. I left proportion the same, 70%beef, 30% potato. Plus fish oil, calcium supplement and multivitamin complex. Also, Riisi from this forum recommended me to increase amount of fats in food. But, in your case, eating lamb, it is unlikely that your dog lacks fat. So, I think you can increase amount of food, especially if your furball is still growing. If he starts to gain too much, you will see it and can always reduce a bit. And, btw, it is winter now, they burn a lot of calories at walk, when it is minus outside. In winter time 10% increase in amount of food is recommended.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for input. Castor is 3.5 years old so probably fully grown and he doesn't seem to gain weight easily. Therefore I don't worry about him eating too much for weight reasons but rather if there are nutritional factors to consider when we increase portions. The food we buy is complete so we don't add any vitamins, only dried carrots for his digestion. I will increase portions and see what happens!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
He is very lean at 20 kilos! Voitto weights 27 kilos and I feed him about 700g devided in two meals. He could gain a kilo or two without getting fat, but I like to keep my bullies in top shape. I don't think he is lacking in substance even though he is on the light side for his frame. 15253450_10154806937709726_7663938730816983598_n.jpg14938159_10154757822144726_2737238239209432433_n.jpg If I were you I would add protein and fat in to his diet. Veggies would just add volume.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He is very lean at 20 kilos! Voitto weights 27 kilos and I feed him about 700g devided in two meals. He could gain a kilo or two without getting fat, but I like to keep my bullies in top shape. I don't think he is lacking in substance even though he is on the light side for his frame.View attachment 102373View attachment 102374 If I were you I would add protein and fat in to his diet. Veggies would just add volume.

Yes, Castor is lean but he doesn't look skinny, does he? We will increase the meat and adding fat sounds good too, but what kind of fat would you suggest?
smalis1.JPG

smalis2.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was about to say ask [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] as he raw feeds. Just remember one thing raw feeding or home cooking, your dog will not tend to be chunky or gain as much weight as with kibbles. They stay more lean and much heathlier. It's always better to have your dog and this goes for any breed, have them a few pounds less. It will avoid a lot of heath issues, they will be a lot more active, more agile and always on the go. Ever see a chunky GS or any breed that works with the police, hwy patrol or here we call them RCMP? Nope... so keep them a bit more lean than normal weight and dont panick cause one month they haven't gain an ounce. Just up the protien n fats. And that's the good fats! That's my 2 cents worth.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I was about to say ask @RiiSi as he raw feeds. Just remember one thing raw feeding or home cooking, your dog will not tend to be chunky or gain as much weight as with kibbles. They stay more lean and much heathlier. It's always better to have your dog and this goes for any breed, have them a few pounds less. It will avoid a lot of heath issues, they will be a lot more active, more agile and always on the go. Ever see a chunky GS or any breed that works with the police, hwy patrol or here we call them RCMP? Nope... so keep them a bit more lean than normal weight and dont panick cause one month they haven't gain an ounce. Just up the protien n fats. And that's the good fats! That's my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for your response! Castor seems to stay lean whatever we feed him, raw or kibble, but we up the meat and add fat to see what happens. Any suggestions on good fat? He is quite fit and agile, and although he is often prefers the couch potato lifestyle, he will walk for hours off leash in the woods. I don't want to fatten him up, just make sure he isn't hungry!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Salmon oil, cod liver oil, coconut oils. I eat only wild salmon and always keep the skin for all my dogs. The Skin is great for dogs. Fresh Organs are great too.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Salmon oil, cod liver oil, coconut oils. I eat only wild salmon and always keep the skin for all my dogs. The Skin is great for dogs. Fresh Organs are great too.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Thanks - great!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thanks for your response! Castor seems to stay lean whatever we feed him, raw or kibble, but we up the meat and add fat to see what happens. Any suggestions on good fat? He is quite fit and agile, and although he is often prefers the couch potato lifestyle, he will walk for hours off leash in the woods. I don't want to fatten him up, just make sure he isn't hungry!

So, my boy has a high metabolism (believe it or not in this breed, lol) and I was concerned that he was on the "skinnier" side compared to other bullies. Bass is now three, so he's pretty much grown to his full size but only weighs between 45-50 pounds. (I believe 20 kilos is around 44 pounds, so they are about the same weight wise). I mentioned this to my vet last appointment and just as [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] said, it's actually a perfect weight for this breed and a good to maintain this weight as to avoid future health issues. That said, I still feel at times that I could bulk up my bullie a little - he does eat kibble, I add yogurt and coconut oil to his diet. He has freeze dried liver (by Stewarts) for treats and I add a raw egg to his meal at times. If I let him, Bass could probably run around the block - twice - he still has high energy when he's outside and around people/other dogs…he won't quit unless I make him (and I do). It's just a high metabolism, it's in his genetic make-up…so try not to worry too much, as long as you can't visibly see rib cage (hard to tell w/these wrinkle stinkers) your bullie looks in good shape to me - and he's still young correct? As far as being cautious feeding too much at meal time, you can always add in a meal/snack during the day to avoid bloat. RiisSi is definitely the go to for raw feeding, I've read many of her recipes and her beauties are show winners for sure, she is the one to ask for adding additional calories to the RAW diet…

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So, my boy has a high metabolism (believe it or not in this breed, lol) and I was concerned that he was on the "skinnier" side compared to other bullies. Bass is now three, so he's pretty much grown to his full size but only weighs between 45-50 pounds. (I believe 20 kilos is around 44 pounds, so they are about the same weight wise). I mentioned this to my vet last appointment and just as @helsonwheels said, it's actually a perfect weight for this breed and a good to maintain this weight as to avoid future health issues. That said, I still feel at times that I could bulk up my bullie a little - he does eat kibble, I add yogurt and coconut oil to his diet. He has freeze dried liver (by Stewarts) for treats and I add a raw egg to his meal at times. If I let him, Bass could probably run around the block - twice - he still has high energy when he's outside and around people/other dogs…he won't quit unless I make him (and I do). It's just a high metabolism, it's in his genetic make-up…so try not to worry too much, as long as you can't visibly see rib cage (hard to tell w/these wrinkle stinkers) your bullie looks in good shape to me - and he's still young correct? As far as being cautious feeding too much at meal time, you can always add in a meal/snack during the day to avoid bloat. RiisSi is definitely the go to for raw feeding, I've read many of her recipes and her beauties are show winners for sure, she is the one to ask for adding additional calories to the RAW diet…

Yes, you are right, [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is an expert and we've admire the pictures of her boys!

Your boy seems to be the same size as Castor - who is 3.5 yrs so fully grown. His parents were quite lean (he looks very much like his father, in fact), but they were one size bigger (about 25 kilos). Vets here think Castor looks fine and he seems healthy and happy... but hungry. We're upping portions little by little so will see if that has any effect. I'm nto really worried about his size (after all, at 3.5 he probably won't be any bigger) but I was rather wondering how to up his portions!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.