Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Yes, you are right, @RiiSi is an expert and we've admire the pictures of her boys!

Your boy seems to be the same size as Castor - who is 3.5 yrs so fully grown. His parents were quite lean (he looks very much like his father, in fact), but they were one size bigger (about 25 kilos). Vets here think Castor looks fine and he seems healthy and happy... but hungry. We're upping portions little by little so will see if that has any effect. I'm nto really worried about his size (after all, at 3.5 he probably won't be any bigger) but I was rather wondering how to up his portions!

A "typical" hungry? That's normal…do you add snacks in throughout the day? That helps quell - frozen green beans? yogurt?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like most mentioned, [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] she will guide you best with raw. Up the protein a bit n fat as I mentioned earlier. Don't forget, dogs can eat till they drop. (Well 95% of them) They will eat none stop if "you" don't stop them.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
A "typical" hungry? That's normal…do you add snacks in throughout the day? That helps quell - frozen green beans? yogurt?

Not sure how typical Castor is ;) but he won't touch beans unless I hide them in his meat, and yoghurt doesn't really work with his tummy. But giving him some kind of snack in-between meals sounds like a good idea!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Not sure how typical Castor is ;) but he won't touch beans unless I hide them in his meat, and yoghurt doesn't really work with his tummy. But giving him some kind of snack in-between meals sounds like a good idea!
what kind of yogurt are you giving? REally frozen green beans are a no go?? You can try another frozen veggie of his choice.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Don't forget, dogs can eat till they drop. (Well 95% of them) They will eat none stop if "you" don't stop them.

True, but perhaps our problem (if indeed there is a problem - perhaps he's just small and lean!) is that he has only been fed according to feeding guides on whatever food he's been on. Overall, we're strict with food - never fed at the table, no extras, and he's very disciplined in the sense that he won't touch his food unless we say bon appétit, etc. I'm starting to think that now when he's finally on a food that he really likes, he shows he wants more which is a good sign. As I wrote in another thread some time ago, he often sits grunting and sighing under the dining table after he has eaten while we eat, and we think he displays some kind if discontent. So more protein and fat it will be!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
In the mean time, Dr. Billinghurst's books seem to get great feedback…I'm not too sure what your worry is…if it's not that he's under weight and you're content w/that and he's liking his food but just wants more, that's normal. Giving him more protein and fat why? Because he's watching you eat under the table? That's normal behavior, dogs want to be part of eating w/the pack…

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
what kind of yogurt are you giving? REally frozen green beans are a no go?? You can try another frozen veggie of his choice.

I'm starting to wonder if the green beans everyone talks about here are different from what I have tried! I've given him long green string beans (haricot verts type) but he is totally uninterested in them. He likes yoghurt but it doesn't quite agree with him - perhaps he has some intolerance to lactose. I've tried both the 3% type we eat ourselves and 10% Greek or Turkish youghurt.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If he doesn't like beans you basically have to try any healthy greens. Kale, sprouts are great too. Quinoa is a great protein!!

Make sure you don't over cook the veggies or you will kill all vitamins why you need a supplement.

I'm still amazed I've been saying he [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] when she's a she. I just read it above unless that's an error..but NO one has corrected me. I'm so sorry. All this time lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Veggies go through dogs digestive system "unharmed" and if you want your dog to benefit more from them vitamin wise it's better to pure them. You can cook and pure or pure them raw and add to your dogs meal. It will increase the volume of the food, with very little energy. Fresh sauerkraute is better source of probiotics than yoghurt. Still fat and protein will be more satisfying if over weight is not a problem. I give my dogs treats only when training. I don't want them to be too much "in to food". They get their meals twice a day and very little in between.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Never mind. I haven't even noticed. In finnish language there is no difference between him/her it's always "hän"...

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Still fat and protein will be more satisfying if over weight is not a problem. I give my dogs treats only when training. I don't want them to be too much "in to food". They get their meals twice a day and very little in between.

Thanks for your response. Yes, it will have to be fat and protein for Castor. Sauerkraut he might like, though - he does like apple cider vinegar. Like you say, I don't want him to be too much into food but perhaps my feeding of Castor has been too restricted. I don't expect him to grow much - I just want to make sure the little thing isn't hungry.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.