icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
I've been feeding my 5yr old female on raw for while with good results. Most of my blend is made up of chicken, i'd say 70% of it. I notice she licks at her feet alot and I'm thinking she may have a chicken allergy. So I want to switch to more of a beef diet but beef is very pricey. I am able to get beef heart for a much better price. Would feeding a diet made up of 70% heart be to much for her?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i feed raw though I've mostly fed commercial raw. The general consensus is that hearts are considered meat, not organ. I can't feed beef or chicken, so we're on duck and pork, with whole ground being our go-to meal. This is at least 70% meat (including heart), and 10% bone (more for the duck) and 10% organs, half of which is liver. That is the ratio to shoot for. I'm not sure I'd feed heart only as the meat portion but I will tag another member who knows more than me. Our price is between $3.50-5 per day for 1 dog (1 lb per day to maintain 50lbs weight).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I've been feeding my 5yr old female on raw for while with good results. Most of my blend is made up of chicken, i'd say 70% of it. I notice she licks at her feet alot and I'm thinking she may have a chicken allergy. So I want to switch to more of a beef diet but beef is very pricey. I am able to get beef heart for a much better price. Would feeding a diet made up of 70% heart be to much for her?

Have a look...and btw, the heart is a muscle :)

Beef Heart - How To? - PMR Feeding Questions - Prey Model Raw

Why Organ Meat Is Important For The Raw Fed Dog

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Heart is considered meat not organ, but imo it's too rich to be the main source of protein. I would try pork or turkey instead if avalaible. Also one guide line to follow says that you should feed different types of protein. So how about a mixture of a few?

OP
I

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
Do you think feeding pig heart and beef heart with fat and bone mixed in would be to rich? What I'm getting at is I can get heart closer to $1.00 per lb compared to $3-4 per lb on other type of muscle meat.

djangosmamma

Mar 10, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django
Excellent article about organ meat, thank you!!

I'm going to tell my hubby he has to get a deer this year JUST for the dog, lol... :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.