Kingdoey

Apr 6, 2016
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi guys

After some advice for Winston.

I got him when he was 12 weeks and the breeder had him on beta puppy food and raw mince. He is now coming up two years and I am still feeding him the mince. The brand is 'Natures Menu Freeflow Mince'.

I was told this would be the best diet to keep him on and he seems to love it. A few months ago I tried to get him onto dry food but he was having none of it. So I eventually gave in and put him back on the mince. I occasionally give him tuna aswell as raw chicken thighs.

Recently I have noticed his stain marks on his creases becoming quite moist aswell as his right eye seems a bit watery. I have read this could be due to his diet. So my question is, is he getting what he needs or do I also need to give him supplements? I really don't think he will let me change his food but I just want to make sure he is getting enough nutrition from his food.

My vet seemed to think this food should be fine but then I think her advice was generalised and not breed specific.

Cheers in advance!

:D

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Once dogs get the taste of raw, they can become picky about dry food.
There is no absolute correlation between diet and tear stains. Meaning, A follows B kind of cause and effect.
Apple cider vinegar is said to help balance out the blood pH and help with tear stains.
I have been adding this to my EB's raw diet, but seeing no improvement on tear stain issue.
Regular wiping (once/twice a day) is the only recourse I have now.

Regarding supplements (not related to tear stains):
Is there enough bone/calcium content in Winston's diet?
If mince is meat only, he needs a good source of calcium. Bone is the first choice.
Calcium supplements, in the form of pills and powders may be not be easily absorbed.
X mg of stated calcium may not result in X mg absorbed calcium.
Bit of organ meat is also good; small quantity of chicken heart and liver to start with.

Cheers,
Raghu

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag our raw experts, hopefully they can give you some insight… we also have members that live in England so they can help w/food choices in Europe.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sorry, I'm no help since I'm not at all familiar with the brands. But if it is only meat, it's not enough. There are raw foods that are complete nutritionally like kibble and you should look for something like that.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
If you are feeding him dry AND minced meat then i think you have it covered in regards to balanced diet as dry food is supposedly balanced already. I have to say though that there is no breed specific requirements when it comes to diet. Food and nutrition is the same regardless of the breed. You said you added tuna and chicken thigh? Maybe he's having a reaction to one of those? Or both? Maybe hold tuna or chicken for 2 weeks and see if his tear stains clear up. Then vice versa.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.