matador

Mar 14, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
El Chapo
Hey everyone, I've read the sticky threads and have read a few other articles/posts about feeding raw.

I have an 8 week old Olde male, and am wanting to switch him to raw today, he has been eating Kibble (Diamond Natural for large breeds) I am wondering is it fine to just start him on something as simple as say chicken gizzards? I'm also wondering how is the bone in something like a chicken leg quarter or a breast with the bone in going to effect him? I used to give an egg about 3xs a week to my AB and rottie, is 1-2 a week good for my pup? I've also been hearing a few people say they use salmon oil, coconut oil, etc... Is this something that should be added in each meal or no?

Any feedback, advice, mentorship is appreciated. Thanks and have a great weekend!

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
matador,

An 8 week old pup will most probably require 4 meals a day. Their tummies are still small to hold large meals.
The trick is to stay with whatever kibble he was fed at the breeders until he settles into your home.
Then switch one meal to boiled meat only, preferably chicken (no bone). Observe.
Watch how his gut takes it; any signs of tummy upsets, etc.
Do not mix kibble and meat in the same meal. It is bad for the digestion.
After a couple of days of boiled meat, switch one more meal to raw meat only (no bone). Observe.
Start of with breast meat, thigh meat, etc before going to gizzards, liver, heart.
Pups can handle 2-4 eggs a week. Boil them otherwise, pups make a mess of it.
Make sure fresh water is always available. The water you boil chicken in can also be given after cooling; they love it

A 3 month old pup should do OK on breast bone (the soft kind)
A 6-8 month old will be able to handle bone in chicken wing, leg and thigh.
Remember, pups have milk teeth and are brittle. So hard bone may be a challenge.
Larger hard bone requires more acid secretion, so the stomach should be bigger to produce this quantity of acid.
Permanent teeth is completely out by 6-8 months. Never feed cooked bones.

Salmon/coconut oil and ACV can be added 2 times a day. 1/2 tsp each until 4-6 months then 1 tsp/tbsp.
To figure out what works and does not for your dog, you need to be a poop watcher.
Dogs bowel movements tell you what went wrong in the last meal or two.
This is why meals should be not mixed up until you they can handle all that goes in.

OEBs should be less susceptible to allergies and issue seen typically with EBs. They have a better gene pool.
Refer to my post on your other thread. It is a long process of discovery and little mishaps in the feeding process.
Good luck!! Post a pic or two of El Chapo.

Cheers,
Raghu

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Just saw El Chapo's pic and that of his mum & dad.
You have a damn fine pup!!
Cheers,
Raghu

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.