Cystine stones & raw food

BoonDocks

Nov 6, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boon Docks
Boon is 2 1/2 and had over 100 cystine stones removed from his bladder last month. The vet put him on Hills u/d. I have read and read and read until my head hurts. I have not found one person that feels Hills is good. So my question is what is raw food? Is it actual raw meat, cooked meat or those frozen patties that you can get from the dog/organic store? What veggies and fruits need to be used? What supplements need to added to maintain a health bully and reduce cystines.

Any help/opinions will be greatly appreciated

Daisoman

Nov 10, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilo
Re: Cystine stones & raw food

In for an answer too. I'm getting 2 lbs blocks of frozen meat (intestines, bones) but no veggies or fruits. Although she is a pup I get so many praises on her coat and the lack of shedding.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Miss Charlotte

Jan 31, 2015
Elizabeth,NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte
Ummm I know there's been some threads about this topic here not long ago! Do a search. Otherwise I know [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is very knowledgable on the raw topic. Maybe even stones too if I remember correctly

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi [MENTION=10249]BoonDocks[/MENTION]

I moved your thread to the Raw Feeding subforum where the more experienced raw feeders can help.
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My boy has hyperuricosuria and susceptible to develope urate stones, a bit different from cystines. My advice is to do research in the mastiff groups. "Google canine cystinuria raw feeding" to get good info. Pre-made patties are out of the question like with my boy, but you can do it yourself. If you haven't allready, I advice you to buy a electrical pH meter and monitor his urine pH, first daily and when you get it in balance with his nutrition weekly or montly is enough.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I don't have experience with stones, but can help you with raw feeding if you find that it's best for him. Rawfeeding can either be premade or you can prep them yourself. The key is to find the the right meat and bone ratio. It's not pure meat, bone is important for nutritional reasons. There's a few options in my area where other raw feeders started their own small stores and cater to the public. I purchase some proteins from them because I find them both convenient and reasonably cheap. Other types of meat, though, such as chicken, I can purchase from the store for less.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
[MENTION=10249]BoonDocks[/MENTION]

Sorry to hear about the stones in Boon's bladder. I do not know much about the treatment of stones.
Here below is general advice on raw feeding. Most stones develop due to insufficient water intake and sometimes due to holding in urine.

Get the balance right (80-10-10 of meat-bone-organs)
Feed prey model if possible. Meat and organs are 60-70% water.
BARF is good but can be dry sometimes.
Cooking meat removes water content and you have to remove the bone once cooked. Then you need to worry about calcium.

Even when feeding raw you need to figure out a way for your dog to get water (enough of it).

How to get water into a dog's system.
- keep fresh water available at all times (if possible filtered water); some dogs will not drink water just because it is available
- exercise your dog; this encourages water intake; morning/evening walks 20 mins each time and few minutes of rough play 4 to 5 times a day
- small quantity of ripe juicy fruits on rotation (watermelon, cantaloupe, banana, oranges, apples, berries); skin and large seeds removed
- small quantity of "watery" veggies on rotation (cucumber, zucchini); skin removed
- watered down greek yogurt or if Boon can handle it very watered down non-fat milk

How to get water (urine) out of a dog's system
- timely walks or a place for dogs to pee freely
- dogs need to urinate at least 3-4 times a day and it should be clear or at worst mildly yellow; dark colored urine is not good

Really hope this round of stones is a one-off occurrence.

Cheers,
Raghu

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Cystinuria is a gene defect as is Hyperuricosuria, I have experience from the later. Both of them need a spesific kind of modified raw feeding, so Absolutely search for somebody who has that experience. I unfortunately know so little about Cystinuria management that can't give accurate advice. Cystine stones unfortunatelly are very prone to reoccur, so it's no playing matter. Struvite and calsium oxalate stones are the ones that are most likely formed due to poor nutrition/hydration.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.