barclay

Oct 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Barclay
Hello, I am wondering how my English Bulldog will do with steak bones. Does anyone have experience giving their Bully steak bones with marrow in them? Thanks in advance.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
I gave bella one ONCE and she didnt even chew it she swollowed it whole.....didnt give her any ever again scared me :(

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
What steak bones are you talking about?

The raw beef marrow bones? Or the cooked bones?

Whatever beef bones you give need to be raw and large enough for them not to choke.
The marrow bones (soup bones) they sell packaged are usually cut small so you'd have to ask the butcher for a large one. They look like huge dinosaur bones.

Never give any cooked bones to a dog.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Frozen marrow bones are great for them.... as previously stated, make sure they are at least 4-6 inches in length to ensure they can not swallow or choke on them... also, never give a cooked bone they can splinter and cause the dog to choke

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I would not recommend steak bones. They have sharp points on them and bullies are nortorious for swallowing things whole. Big problems on the horizon with long slender type bones. If you want to give them bones, I give mine large knuckle bones raw from the butchers. Or the large marrow leg bones too. Always raw, they cannot swallow them and they can knaw on them forever before you have to take them from the bullies. My bones for my girls are usually 7 to 9 inches long and the knuckle bones are at least 6 to 8 inches around. No way they can swallow them. Good luck!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Great advice from everyone. I'm imagining you're referring to t-bone types of steaks, which is a definite no-no. Sharp edges and too small for them

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Stay away from steak bones. They are hard.
Chicken/Turkey/Duck bones are OK.
I usually give mine whole chicken (cut up large) and beef cubes on rotation.
Turkey/Duck are hard to come by in India.
Watch the poop. If there are bone fragments, then your EB has not chewed enough and gulped the food down.

For recreation you may give lamb leg or shoulder bones.
They are large and EBs love chewing and gnawing on them.

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I would not recommend steak bones. They have sharp points on them and bullies are nortorious for swallowing things whole. Big problems on the horizon with long slender type bones. If you want to give them bones, I give mine large knuckle bones raw from the butchers. Or the large marrow leg bones too. Always raw, they cannot swallow them and they can knaw on them forever before you have to take them from the bullies. My bones for my girls are usually 7 to 9 inches long and the knuckle bones are at least 6 to 8 inches around. No way they can swallow them. Good luck!!

One of my employees just gave me a huge box full of beef bones that she had gotten from a local processing plant. I was not sure if it would be safe to give raw bones to my Bullies, but I appreciate your advice. I guess my only concern now is that I am wondering if they could get any kind of illness from eating raw bones? Also, when do you give yours bones? I'm wondering if it would affect their appetite? And is it okay to give the bones in place of a meal if they are having tummy trouble? My Tucker has thrown up twice today, so I am not sure what is going on. I am glad I did not give him a bone yesterday, as I would have blamed that!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
One of my employees just gave me a huge box full of beef bones that she had gotten from a local processing plant. I was not sure if it would be safe to give raw bones to my Bullies, but I appreciate your advice. I guess my only concern now is that I am wondering if they could get any kind of illness from eating raw bones? Also, when do you give yours bones? I'm wondering if it would affect their appetite? And is it okay to give the bones in place of a meal if they are having tummy trouble? My Tucker has thrown up twice today, so I am not sure what is going on. I am glad I did not give him a bone yesterday, as I would have blamed that!

What was in the vomit.... food, mucus, bile?

As for the bones, I give my guys one a week as a treat on Saturday nights, they get dinner at 5 PM and then the bone at 6:30 - 7:00. I never thought to give it as a meal replacement, not sure I would, but others that are full raw feeders my have better insight on that.

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
I go to the butcher and they have them raw marrow bones in the freezer section.
I actually was in the same boat as you. I wasn't sure what bones to give & wasn't sure about the whole raw thing. It's perfectly safe.
Last time I went they only had little disc marrow bones. Definitely not going to work, his mouth is huge.
So they cute me a whole bag up of about 4--6 inches long.
Very cheap.
He gets one when we eat dinner and he loves it.
We rinse them afterwards & refreeze
We give them to him Straight out of the freezer

I'm also keeping all the bones he has cleared the marrow from & and am going to fill them with pumpkin and peanut butters goodies.
He loves them.

I do lay a big blanket down if he gets it in the house, it doesn't make a mess per say just easier clean up image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I go to the butcher and they have them raw marrow bones in the freezer section.
I actually was in the same boat as you. I wasn't sure what bones to give & wasn't sure about the whole raw thing. It's perfectly safe.
Last time I went they only had little disc marrow bones. Definitely not going to work, his mouth is huge.
So they cute me a whole bag up of about 4--6 inches long.
Very cheap.
He gets one when we eat dinner and he loves it.
We rinse them afterwards & refreeze
We give them to him Straight out of the freezer

I'm also keeping all the bones he has cleared the marrow from & and am going to fill them with pumpkin and peanut butters goodies.
He loves them.

I do lay a big blanket down if he gets it in the house, it doesn't make a mess per say just easier clean upView attachment 92649

View attachment 92650

Very good information! Thank you so much for your insight!

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
What was in the vomit.... food, mucus, bile?

As for the bones, I give my guys one a week as a treat on Saturday nights, they get dinner at 5 PM and then the bone at 6:30 - 7:00. I never thought to give it as a meal replacement, not sure I would, but others that are full raw feeders my have better insight on that.

No mucus in his vomit. The first time was breakfast. The second time was last night's supper. All dog food. He also has pooped three times, versus his usual one in the morning.

OP
B

barclay

Oct 27, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Barclay
I want to thank everyone for your posts. I am returning late to the party, but I have not yet given my bully a bone yet. This was great advice. I will stay away from steak bones. Frozen marrow bones it is! Really appreciate all the support.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank gets a big ole marrow bone 1x a week, he loves it. He will literally chew for 3 hours straight. I wonder how long he would go if I didn't take it away from him. I'll usually give it to him on a big blanket (the 'frank blanket' I call it) so he doesn't make a mess. We'll put in a movie and sit in the living room while he has it so I can monitor him. He does great with the bones and he's never thrown up or had any soft stool. and a bonus, his teeth look GREAT!

My only advice is to get it from you butcher so you know the bones you get are human grade meat. and never get those small discs they cut for soup, I've heard too many stories about dogs getting those locked around their jaw.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.