Starting Bowser on Raw

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
So Bowser just finished his bag of kibble and we have decided to start him on raw. He's been having skin issues lately and we've been debating the raw transition for a while now.

Well we finally found a place in Toronto that specializes in raw that isn't too far away so we decided it was a good time. We are starting him on chicken with the bones and organs mixed in. We give him a raw egg yolk with his morning meal. Then for an afternoon snack we give him fruits and veggies with some Greek yogurt. And for his dinner we add salmon oil or coconut oil. The store owner told us to also blend up fruits and veggies with yogurt and ACV and freeze it and give him a spoon full with each meal. It's been 2 days and so far he loves it. Skin is getting better too. Poops are solid and less frequent already. Hopefully this works out. I will keep everyone posted on his progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Good luck! We add a capful of acv in the boys' breakfast and dinner. Also in their water.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good luck. Great to hear he is already looking better and that he loves it. When you star adding foods to his diet do it one at the time so you know if there's a bad reaction to spesific ingredient.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Well Bowser has been scratching his armpit area on both sides for the past few days now. He scratches it so bad that it's raw and pussing. I don't know what it could be. Maybe he is allergic to chicken but I fed him the bland diet with cooked chicken and rice before and he was fine. Only other things I feed him are apples and carrots. Supplemented with yogurt and salmon oil and occasionally coconut oil but he's had those things from when I brought him home.

I've been cleaning his pits with peroxide and then spraying with veterycin and that seems to help until he has another scratching episode. He seems to scratch mostly when I'm not home. Guess I'm gonna have to make a bet visit.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You can be sure that the chicken is not enhanced? Also peroxide could be a bit strong with Vetericyn, maybe Vetericyn is enough? In you initial post you mentioned that there is organs also in his food, maybe give him plain chicken for a while and then add another ingredient one at the time if he gets better.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I agree with RiiSi and try doing an elimination diet first, so one ingredient at a time. Don't worry, if he misses a couple of weeks or more of salmon or coconut oil, it won't have any negative effects.

OP
Steelstacks

Steelstacks

May 30, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Vet gave Bowser some meds and a spray and everything is all cleared up now. Guess I will start introducing one thing at a time to see if it's a food allergy. I've been feeding him his raw chicken through the whole process and he seems fine with it still but I took out everything else. I just introduced plain yogurt again today. Will do the salmon oil in a week maybe.

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
[MENTION=14274]Steelstacks[/MENTION]

You are doing all the right things. Are you following prey model or minced bone and meat?

I have a year old female who has been on raw diet for almost 9 months now.
I just give her large enough chunks of meat and bone (chicken).
Beef and lamb are boneless as these bones are way to hard.
It is amazing to see her crush bone, chew her food and be done in 60 secs.
I also have an older boxer who has been on raw for 3 years now and healthy.
He went thru a rough patch of allergies while on kibble.

Be very strict on how much you feed. 2-3 % of intended adult body weight is ideal.
I am trying to keep my bully at 20Kg; so she gets 500g (2.5%) of meat and bone daily split over 2 meals.
At 1 year she is 18 Kg and the vet is very happy. Eventually we are hoping she can whelp naturally.

You might want to add flaxseed oil as a supplement. This is very good for the joints; actually recommended for arthritis in humans and canines.
As for the topical itching, a process of trial and error will tell you what does not agree with your pooch.
Coconut oil applied on tender skin is also an option to soothe the skin. (yes these dogs can scratch themselves raw)

Good luck and cheers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.