Winter feeding?

Vinny Duong

Oct 20, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Patrick
I've heard you're supposed to feed less during the winter months since our bullys dont get as much exercise. We live in MN so it gets super cold here.

Currently Patrick is 40lbs and we're feeding him 1.2lbs daily. How much less should we feed him in the winter?

Thanks

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I've heard you're supposed to feed less during the winter months since our bullys dont get as much exercise. We live in MN so it gets super cold here.

Currently Patrick is 40lbs and we're feeding him 1.2lbs daily. How much less should we feed him in the winter?

Thanks

There is a lot that goes into that decision , size of dog, amount of exercise , what you feed your dog , how old your dog is , some like Me use cups for measurement , not weight , do you feed 3 times a day once twice ?
I live in Northern Ont CA and like your were starting to cool down, and i actually feed a bit more mind my guys are out a lot and run around , I snow blow or plow channels for them so they get to run around ( coats on lol ) The only one loosing weight is Me from moving snow , now as spring comes i cut back on there food say in March ( My Vet would kill Me if they come in over weight )

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
That's a good point. For my boys, I gauge based on their weight, if they look like they're getting chubby, we reduce their meals. If they seem as if they're losing weight, we increase. There's not really a set percentage on how much to reduce.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Vinnie, I don't change the amount that I feed Dozer and Blossom, I feed them the same all year. They get 1 cup in the morning, and 1 cup in the evening. My guys both weigh 45 lbs, and they will usually gain 2 or 3 lbs over the winter since they don't go on as many long walks when it's cold. I don't worry about it though, because it doesn't show on them, and they still play together and are active. I don't mind them gaining this little bit of weight in the winter, because it's better for them to have a little bit of extra fat in the winter to keep them warm, and it is better if they get a cold or virus to have that extra weight to help them fight it off, and if they do get sick they have that to lose. I also don't worry about it because once the spring and summer come, they lose it again when they are outside and running around more, and going on longer walks again. Every bully is different in size and weight, some are smaller and weigh less like my guys at 45 lbs, and some are bigger and weigh 50 to 60 lbs, and that is normal for them. If you feel that your bully is looking heavier in the winter you can try reducing the food to 3/4 of a cup twice a day from 1 cup twice a day, and you can always ask your vet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 124

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't feed less unless I see them gaining weight. We don't exercise much less in the winter. Only when it gets really cold, but it doesn't usually stay very cold for longer periods of time. I you see them gaining just cut to 1 pound and see what happens.

RissaT

May 9, 2012
San Diego, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie Schneeball
I also don't' feed them less. But I also keep our regular routine of exercise.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.