The day has come - for RAW - tips? advice?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
So - Tyson had his check-up, and shots on Friday. We told the vet that we were going to start to transition him to raw. She claims she is not a fan of raw, bc it can cause GI issues, with salmonella, and things. Honestly, we're all at risk for that, and we still believe firmly that the pros outweigh the cons. Plus, we're doing commercial raw, not buying ourselves, etc. I just thought it was interesting that she said that. But in other news, Tyson now weighs 83lbs, so much for him being at 79lbs before, lol. He is looking great, and she's very happy with him health wise after the big surgery, and for his age. Love my boy.

I've been learning that some vets are just like some of our doctors. They want to push certain meds or certain products but only for profit. I was having some medical issues years ago and I asked my doctor for some advice on things I could either change in my diet or activities to help reduce the pain I was having. Her words were, "The only thing that will help is this medication." I told her thank you but no thank you. The last 3 doctors I had all wanted to medicate me without even a THOUGHT about alternatives. I don't mind taking medicine but only as a last resort....I don't know...It's sad to think that people do this with us, with kids, and with animals and who are we to question them. They are the professionals. Right?

Either way, I hope this new diet works for you and for Ty-Ty. I know you have been looking for a good food fit for a while now. :)

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I've been learning that some vets are just like some of our doctors. They want to push certain meds or certain products but only for profit. I was having some medical issues years ago and I asked my doctor for some advice on things I could either change in my diet or activities to help reduce the pain I was having. Her words were, "The only thing that will help is this medication." I told her thank you but no thank you. The last 3 doctors I had all wanted to medicate me without even a THOUGHT about alternatives. I don't mind taking medicine but only as a last resort....I don't know...It's sad to think that people do this with us, with kids, and with animals and who are we to question them. They are the professionals. Right?

Either way, I hope this new diet works for you and for Ty-Ty. I know you have been looking for a good food fit for a while now. :)

Totally agree. We resort to natural/holistic options before drugs all the time. I've learned so much in his life. The food thing is new for us, within the last year, because prior he'd been on the same food his whole life with no issues. Just like us, age hits, and thing change. So yeah, just want him to live the longest, healthiest life possible!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Totally agree. We resort to natural/holistic options before drugs all the time. I've learned so much in his life. The food thing is new for us, within the last year, because prior he'd been on the same food his whole life with no issues. Just like us, age hits, and thing change. So yeah, just want him to live the longest, healthiest life possible!

Totally understand. We made a food switch last year when Goob refused to eat. I would add SO many treats, trying to entice him to eat but nothing worked. I had to open his mouth and stick a few kibbles in until the bowl was gone. He would even spit the kibble out at times!!! I was so frustrated and that's what got me searching for food advice, which lead me to EBN!!!I had no idea that he was on a junky kibble and didn't think dogs could get sick of their food. I had never experienced it before. He wasn't being stubborn...He was just trying to tell me that he didn't like his food.

My husband and I were talking about this last night because NOW...When I get Goob's food ready he is doing back flips, drooling, and going through all of his tricks trying to make me put the bowl down. What a difference!!!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Okay - need some help, we've started to transition tyson over to raw... We started on Sat by mixing a little with kibble each day. (Commercial raw patties) he's loved it & gobbled it all up. Today I fed a little more raw and less kibble around 7pm, it's now 11:30pm and I just finished cleaning vomit. It was his food, kibble, green beans, and I'm sure raw but I couldn't tell as its mushy anyway.
I knew he wasn't feeling well when he didn't lay in his bed, then didn't move when I made noise with rice cake bag...
After he vomited, he seemed to feel much better & then shortly after went to his bed.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Do I continue w transition or hold back?
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=12231]Goob14 [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In my opinion you should continue. There's a few different ways to move on...cut down the raw to the amount that he did well on or feed one whole meal of kibble and another of raw. Is he doing well other wise?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Hey, I'm so flattered that you ask my opinion BUT...I know NOTHING about RAW:no:. Im sorry!!! I made a kibble to kibble switch. Glad Ty Ty was able to sleep and hoping you find what works for him BEST!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks @RiiSi - Yes, he is perfectly fine otherwise. My husband fessed up this morning that he gave him a left over hamburger patty from our dinner last night. :yell::cursing::mad::stinkeye: Whyyyyyyy - Ugh! He does the wrong, yet mom is the one who hears everything, can't sleep, and wakes up to clean vomit, and throw blankets in the wash at 11:30pm!!!

I wonder if that mixed with the raw/kibble/transition could have triggered the vomit. He seemed perfectly fine this morning, ate his breakfast with no issues. I'll be keeping an eye on him through the cameras today.

@Goob14 - so sorry. I was half asleep when I was posting, I thought for some reason you went raw as well - but thank you so much for commenting back either way!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Yep, no human food...it usually has too many spices etc. in it to be good for dogs. Hubby's...:facepalm2:That is why mine don't feed the dogs anything else that I haven't all ready prepared...

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yep, no human food...it usually has too many spices etc. in it to be good for dogs. Hubby's...:facepalm2:That is why mine don't feed the dogs anything else that I haven't all ready prepared...

No matter how much I tell him to not give him anything extra, treats, or our food. He never listens. I want to strangle him sometimes :bang: Why don't they understand?!?! Well, hopefully it was that mixed in that caused the upset belly, and vomit. I sure hope we are smooth here on out, bc I planned to go full raw by tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for always being so helpful :)

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Why not try Raw-Meat-and-Bones (Chicken, beef, turkey or any other meat)
Yes sourcing may be tricky but once you have a good source life becomes easy
Keep it simple
Feed 2-3% of ideal weight per day; 3% for an active dog; 2% for a couch potato
Split daily ration into 2 - 3 meals based on convinience
80% Meat, 10-15% Bone, 5-10% organs (balanced over a week is fine)
Eggs, fruit, veggies, diluted Greek yogurt, cottage cheese on rotation
Supplements: Fish oil for coat; flaxseed oil for joints
Treats to a minimum and no table feeding (how much ever they beg and drool)

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Why not try Raw-Meat-and-Bones (Chicken, beef, turkey or any other meat)
Yes sourcing may be tricky but once you have a good source life becomes easy
Keep it simple
Feed 2-3% of ideal weight per day; 3% for an active dog; 2% for a couch potato
Split daily ration into 2 - 3 meals based on convinience
80% Meat, 10-15% Bone, 5-10% organs (balanced over a week is fine)
Eggs, fruit, veggies, diluted Greek yogurt, cottage cheese on rotation
Supplements: Fish oil for coat; flaxseed oil for joints
Treats to a minimum and no table feeding (how much ever they beg and drool)

Would you start off by mixing a little bit of raw meat with the dog biscuits? Thanks

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I was reading this thread because I'm on the fence (almost ready) to go raw w/Bass. I have one more kibble that I researched and want to try and am going to add a raw turkey neck to it to see how he does...my question is to [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] - how is the raw going now that it's been a few months? Did you find a brand or make your own? How is Ty?

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I was reading this thread because I'm on the fence (almost ready) to go raw w/Bass. I have one more kibble that I researched and want to try and am going to add a raw turkey neck to it to see how he does...my question is to @TyTysmom - how is the raw going now that it's been a few months? Did you find a brand or make your own? How is Ty?

Hey Laurie,
Sorry for the late reply. So I have mixed emotions about raw. Yes, we did go raw, and we went with Commercial Raw (Stella & Chewy's Surf & Turf) He loved it, and he did very well on the raw. We had issues getting his poop to firm up, but it did end up coming around. However, sadly we are no longer on raw as of a week ago. Stella & Chewys put out a recall due to listeria, and go figure Tyson got sick. He was vomiting violently, and we had to take him into the vet for meds, treatment, etc. Its a risk that comes with raw. So now we have him on bland and we're transitioning him over back onto a 6 star kibble :/ Maybe will go back to raw again in the future, but for now... this will be it. Don't want to see him that sick again. Good Luck with your Bass.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Oh no, poor Tyson. Sorry to hear that and thank you for getting back! Could you let me know how the bland food does w/his transition? I'd like all the advice I can get so that I'm prepared...Feel better sweet Ty!!

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh no, poor Tyson. Sorry to hear that and thank you for getting back! Could you let me know how the bland food does w/his transition? I'd like all the advice I can get so that I'm prepared...Feel better sweet Ty!!

Sure, I'm going to start introducing the new kibble for dinner - very slowly - I will keep you posted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.