The day has come - for RAW - tips? advice?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Who knows. I don't really care. all I care about is it is 100% healthier than what Brutus was getting and they are doing great on it.

No, no, I get it. As long as they're doing well on it, it doesn't matter.

But I was considering them, then decided against it because I wanted to go back to raw and thought they weren't.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
No, no, I get it. As long as they're doing well on it, it doesn't matter.

But I was considering them, then decided against it because I wanted to go back to raw and thought they weren't.
I think it is misleading because when I read the reviews, some said raw and others did not. Maybe the base like you said is raw?? I really don't know. I tagged Todd because I know he feeds this as well. Maybe he knows.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The best thing you can do is exercise him.

Its hard to exercise him alot here. He's old for one, LOL but he does go on 2 walks everyday and does very well. The main problem now is the heat is creeping back on us now. Yesterday we almost hit 80 and the difference in the walk was so noticeable. He usually walks at a good pace with good breathing, yesterday he slowed down alot, and was worn out... he immediately laid out on the tile when we got back inside. Stupid part is that 80 is still nice, once we hit 90s-100s, he's down to just a few houses down and right back.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Raw food doesn't contain carbs like kibble, so yes they tend to loose weight, but not muscle. You can supplement with veggies and beans as older dogs also benefit from less protein(without adding simple carbs).

Thanks Riikka, I had been wanting to reach out to you since I know you are so knowledgeable with the raw. I know you don't do commercial, but I've been researching the Stella and it has everything in it. Seems pretty good, and I've read great reviews. I still have alot of questions, so I'll be asking the owner of the store where we purchase from this weekend. I also wanted to get a feel for others experiences. I'm hoping the switch in general helps with his overall health. Do you know if they tend to lose weight on raw vs kibble? Could I still supplement with greens beans, veggies, etc?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Great.. thanks for the all info.
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] how much does he weigh? if he's a chunky (like my Wellie) he'll definitely benefit from raw and losing a few pounds..lol

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Great.. thanks for the all info.
@TyTysmom how much does he weigh? if he's a chunky (like my Wellie) he'll definitely benefit from raw and losing a few pounds..lol

He is 79lbs. He's always been a big bully over all, big shoulders, stocky. Vet says he look great for his age, but she wouldn't mind him losing about 10lbs.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He is 79lbs. He's always been a big bully over all, big shoulders, stocky. Vet says he look great for his age, but she wouldn't mind him losing about 10lbs.

79 is a lot. But if you can get him to lose those 10 pounds.. wow- he's going to feel so much better.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
79 is a lot. But if you can get him to lose those 10 pounds.. wow- he's going to feel so much better.

It does seem like its alot, and it gives the impression that he's huge. But honestly, he's not. We got him down from the low 80s into the 70s now. He's just a very big boy.... but he is solid - he doesn't even look like he weighs that much. BUT I know he'll feel better at a lower weight, so that is another goal of ours.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I was feeding Roxie the Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Patty in beef and chicken. She was doing great on them, and yeah it was expensive but whatever… Lol I could find the patties easily at our local pet food store, and they come w/a pretty high rating on dog food advisor.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We feed NVI raw, but because Lola would regurgitate often after the thawed patties, we now feed the frozen pellet raw. It slows her down big time and NO regurgitation at all...its just like kibble but frozen prepared raw (Duck, for now). They have rabbit now too, but I am not sure if available in the raw kibble frozen form. NVI pellets we feed 1 cup per feed, twice a day. 1 small bag lasts 6 days more or less, about $35/bag depending on the sale. I hope whatever you try next works out though! we just recently switched (about 6 months ago) from our canadian brand of raw food (bison and boar) since we moved back to the US....wasn't available here in the states. I find NVI more affordable since Lola (at less than 50lbs) eats slightly less than 1lb per day actually. She gets lots of sweet potato fries (homemade) as treats. good luck!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
also forgot to add.....Raw will keep them full for less time than kibble. We were finding if we fed Lola at 8am and 4pm, she would be throwing up bile at midnight due to an empty stomach. We now feed her dinner at 6pm, which lets her sleep through the night without throwing up hungry.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So - Tyson had his check-up, and shots on Friday. We told the vet that we were going to start to transition him to raw. She claims she is not a fan of raw, bc it can cause GI issues, with salmonella, and things. Honestly, we're all at risk for that, and we still believe firmly that the pros outweigh the cons. Plus, we're doing commercial raw, not buying ourselves, etc. I just thought it was interesting that she said that. But in other news, Tyson now weighs 83lbs, so much for him being at 79lbs before, lol. He is looking great, and she's very happy with him health wise after the big surgery, and for his age. Love my boy.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Salmonella is not a risk for dogs and there's been more salmnella in kibble than in raw food. Like always wash your hands after and and don't share and you both will do just great...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.