Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The day has come - for RAW - tips? advice?

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The day has come - for RAW - tips? advice?

Thanks @RiiSi - Yes, he is perfectly fine otherwise. My husband fessed up this morning that he gave him a left over hamburger patty from our dinner last night. Whyyyyyyy - Ugh! He does the wrong, yet mom is the one who hears everything, can't sleep, and wakes up to clean vomit, and throw blankets in the wash at 11:30pm!!!

I wonder if that mixed with the raw/kibble/transition could have triggered the vomit. He seemed perfectly fine this morning, ate his breakfast with no issues. I'll be keeping an eye on him through the cameras today.

@Goob14 - so sorry. I was half asleep when I was posting, I thought for some reason you went raw as well - but thank you so much for commenting back either way!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Yep, no human food...it usually has too many spices etc. in it to be good for dogs. Hubby's...That is why mine don't feed the dogs anything else that I haven't all ready prepared...

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Yep, no human food...it usually has too many spices etc. in it to be good for dogs. Hubby's...That is why mine don't feed the dogs anything else that I haven't all ready prepared...

No matter how much I tell him to not give him anything extra, treats, or our food. He never listens. I want to strangle him sometimes Why don't they understand?!?! Well, hopefully it was that mixed in that caused the upset belly, and vomit. I sure hope we are smooth here on out, bc I planned to go full raw by tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for always being so helpful

My whole heart, Tyson.

4. Likes RiiSi liked this post
    Real Name
    Raghu Prasad
    Country
    India
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Why not try Raw-Meat-and-Bones (Chicken, beef, turkey or any other meat)
    Yes sourcing may be tricky but once you have a good source life becomes easy
    Keep it simple
    Feed 2-3% of ideal weight per day; 3% for an active dog; 2% for a couch potato
    Split daily ration into 2 - 3 meals based on convinience
    80% Meat, 10-15% Bone, 5-10% organs (balanced over a week is fine)
    Eggs, fruit, veggies, diluted Greek yogurt, cottage cheese on rotation
    Supplements: Fish oil for coat; flaxseed oil for joints
    Treats to a minimum and no table feeding (how much ever they beg and drool)

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raghu View Post
    Why not try Raw-Meat-and-Bones (Chicken, beef, turkey or any other meat)
    Yes sourcing may be tricky but once you have a good source life becomes easy
    Keep it simple
    Feed 2-3% of ideal weight per day; 3% for an active dog; 2% for a couch potato
    Split daily ration into 2 - 3 meals based on convinience
    80% Meat, 10-15% Bone, 5-10% organs (balanced over a week is fine)
    Eggs, fruit, veggies, diluted Greek yogurt, cottage cheese on rotation
    Supplements: Fish oil for coat; flaxseed oil for joints
    Treats to a minimum and no table feeding (how much ever they beg and drool)
    Would you start off by mixing a little bit of raw meat with the dog biscuits? Thanks

Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I was reading this thread because I'm on the fence (almost ready) to go raw w/Bass. I have one more kibble that I researched and want to try and am going to add a raw turkey neck to it to see how he does...my question is to @TyTysmom - how is the raw going now that it's been a few months? Did you find a brand or make your own? How is Ty?

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    I was reading this thread because I'm on the fence (almost ready) to go raw w/Bass. I have one more kibble that I researched and want to try and am going to add a raw turkey neck to it to see how he does...my question is to @TyTysmom - how is the raw going now that it's been a few months? Did you find a brand or make your own? How is Ty?
    Hey Laurie,
    Sorry for the late reply. So I have mixed emotions about raw. Yes, we did go raw, and we went with Commercial Raw (Stella & Chewy's Surf & Turf) He loved it, and he did very well on the raw. We had issues getting his poop to firm up, but it did end up coming around. However, sadly we are no longer on raw as of a week ago. Stella & Chewys put out a recall due to listeria, and go figure Tyson got sick. He was vomiting violently, and we had to take him into the vet for meds, treatment, etc. Its a risk that comes with raw. So now we have him on bland and we're transitioning him over back onto a 6 star kibble :/ Maybe will go back to raw again in the future, but for now... this will be it. Don't want to see him that sick again. Good Luck with your Bass.

My whole heart, Tyson.

9. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh no, poor Tyson. Sorry to hear that and thank you for getting back! Could you let me know how the bland food does w/his transition? I'd like all the advice I can get so that I'm prepared...Feel better sweet Ty!!

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Oh no, poor Tyson. Sorry to hear that and thank you for getting back! Could you let me know how the bland food does w/his transition? I'd like all the advice I can get so that I'm prepared...Feel better sweet Ty!!
    Sure, I'm going to start introducing the new kibble for dinner - very slowly - I will keep you posted.

My whole heart, Tyson.

12. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Wonderful info, thank you so much. I will definitely transition, I wouldn't dare just switch. I'll do slow as well. We'll probably pick it up this weekend. I wonder though, bc I've seen the pattys. Does that fill them up? I mean they look small to me. Tyson is def a big boy, and while he needs to lose weight, I still don't want him feeling hungry.
    You may also want to look into Vital Essentials - Here's the website.
    Vital Essentials. Purely raw. Instinctively healthy.

Real Name
    Olive
    Country
    Ireland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    George Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Sure, I'm going to start introducing the new kibble for dinner - very slowly - I will keep you posted.
    I'm also considering raw but totally unsure of my ability to manage this so no firm decisions yet. I'm just wondering what 6 star kibble you are feeding TyTy? If it's OK to ask.
    I have stared using Orijen for George which I understand is a 6 star food he seems to be doing well on it stomach wise but his tear stains are very dark but I'd rather have dark eyes than have his tummy upset. He also seems to have developed the yeasty paws but maybe that's just because this country is so wet all the time even though I dry his paws when he comes in. Sorry I'm gone off topic there a bit, my bad.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
    I'm also considering raw but totally unsure of my ability to manage this so no firm decisions yet. I'm just wondering what 6 star kibble you are feeding TyTy? If it's OK to ask.
    I have stared using Orijen for George which I understand is a 6 star food he seems to be doing well on it stomach wise but his tear stains are very dark but I'd rather have dark eyes than have his tummy upset. He also seems to have developed the yeasty paws but maybe that's just because this country is so wet all the time even though I dry his paws when he comes in. Sorry I'm gone off topic there a bit, my bad.
    The 6 star food was Orijen. We tried The Six Fish, and the Red Meat. Both were too high in protein for Tyson as he started losing hair, had stomach issues, and still itchy. We had gone to a commercial raw (Stella & Chewy's) and honestly he did great on it, but then they had a Listeria recall which he was affected by. He was so sick with non-stop vomiting, and needed vet care.... so we took him off.

He has now been on The Honest Kitchen (Kindly base mix) and we add in the protein. So we alternate extra lean ground beef, kangaroo, and venison. We buy it and cook it ourselves and add the Honest Kitchen mix to it. He has done exceptionally well on this, thank GOD! Better than any other kibble, raw, etc. I am so thankful that we finally found something that worked for us.

My whole heart, Tyson.

16. Likes Evilo liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads